Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:49 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
As a not to far from being senior, I'm all for a means tested plan to reduce the Social Security entitlement provided there's also a tax deduction if you don't receive the SS benefit that you were promised. For example, if I'm due $1000/month SS benefit and the gov't decides that I'm too wealthy to receive it, at least allow me to deduct $12,000/yr in my annual gross income for tax purposes so I get some kind of benefit. Wealthy people don't need SS. I'm fortunate that I don't need it and I'm willing to go without it but give me the tax credit at least.

Of course this type of proposal is career suicide for any elected US gov't official........
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 12:01 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Right now it seems iffy if Kasich makes the next debate cutoff of 3% and old people are the most reliable voting demographic as far as showing up to vote, goes. So, if I was him, I'd keep my SS plans to myself until I had a better shot at staying in the race.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:01 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
As a not to far from being senior, I'm all for a means tested plan to reduce the Social Security entitlement provided there's also a tax deduction if you don't receive the SS benefit that you were promised. For example, if I'm due $1000/month SS benefit and the gov't decides that I'm too wealthy to receive it, at least allow me to deduct $12,000/yr in my annual gross income for tax purposes so I get some kind of benefit. Wealthy people don't need SS. I'm fortunate that I don't need it and I'm willing to go without it but give me the tax credit at least.

Of course this type of proposal is career suicide for any elected US gov't official........
I would have no problem with that plan. It would certainly help all the older folks who now own their homes and have few deductions but now need to work more than the current allowance.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:11 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Seriously, take the stuff happens out of context and it sounds callous, but in context, Jeb makes a lot of sense. Knee jerk legislation in response to every single crisis that hits our country makes for an over reaching Federal Gov't.

Many Americans like myself are for a small, less intrusive government. Not a government involved in every single aspect of our lives.
How can you say "Jeb" and "less intrusive government" in the same post? Look up how Bush intruded into a personal family medical situation and overstepped the boundaries of government when he was the Gov of FL. His intrusion was overruled by the FL Supreme Court. He stopped at nothing.

Google : terri schiavo jeb bush

Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Right now it seems iffy if Kasich makes the next debate cutoff of 3% and old people are the most reliable voting demographic as far as showing up to vote, goes. So, if I was him, I'd keep my SS plans to myself until I had a better shot at staying in the race.
Agree. Kansas has a lot of "old" people, I guess at 61, I might be one of them and yes, they don't just talk the talk, they do the walk to the polls. They are also usually silent on how they will be voting also. What they will hear is that Kasich said that he was going to cut social security and that seniors should just get over it. Another one. Talk about the other candidates being stupid. Any candidate is subject to their "one liner" appearing in every headline.

I don't think some of the "supposed" age groups here actually play out in reality at least with the people that I know. Maybe, when one gets older, they change from Democrat to Republican?

It was funny though, I googled for age groups for Republicans. The articles were wild with one saying the GOP was dying and another showing the younger generation leaning just slightly more likely toward being Republican. I didn't find any links that showed age groups. I think all of this is much more "fluid" than it used to be.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:15 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
What burns me up though is making sacrifices as Kasich asks of us, then reading about fraud, waste, abuse of taxpayer funds. Seeing millions of tax payer dollars thrown at grants to study meaningless stuff......better yet, this idea about free college tuition on the backs of the tax payer......

Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
What burns me up though is making sacrifices as Kasich asks of us, then reading about fraud, waste, abuse of taxpayer funds. Seeing millions of tax payer dollars thrown at grants to study meaningless stuff......better yet, this idea about free college tuition on the backs of the tax payer......
I notice NO ONE wants to address how seniors abuse Medicaid. 4.6 Million seniors are taking Medicaid and transferring their assets to family members so the government pays for their Medicare and long term care.

A college educated person pays more in taxes because their income is greater. An educated populace reduces welfare and increases tax revenue.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Agree. Kansas has a lot of "old" people, I guess at 61, I might be one of them and yes, they don't just talk the talk, they do the walk to the polls. They are also usually silent on how they will be voting also. What they will hear is that Kasich said that he was going to cut social security and that seniors should just get over it. Another one. Talk about the other candidates being stupid. Any candidate is subject to their "one liner" appearing in every headline.

I don't think some of the "supposed" age groups here actually play out in reality at least with the people that I know. Maybe, when one gets older, they change from Democrat to Republican?

It was funny though, I googled for age groups for Republicans. The articles were wild with one saying the GOP was dying and another showing the younger generation leaning just slightly more likely toward being Republican. I didn't find any links that showed age groups. I think all of this is much more "fluid" than it used to be.
The Fairleigh Dickinson national poll that I posted in another thread broke down the candidates' support by age groups. Click on the link in that thread. I'm old, too.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:22 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
How are you defining seniors?

Many, MANY Seniors age 50-65 vote DEMOCRAT and have all their lives. They have worked all their lives as well - paying into SS and Medicare and haven't yet taken one dime.

Seniors age 80-90, I will agree many are (were) Republican.
Yep, I fall into the 50-65 demographic and have voted Democratic all of my life. I've also never been without a job save for a few years I took off after the birth of my two children. Now that many of us are less than 10 years from retirement you want to cut SS? That hardly seems fair, especially when there are so many places that real waste can be cut instead of pulling the rug out from people who have worked all of their lives in good faith and paid into the system.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:45 PM

609 posts, read 505,867 times
Main reason why I will NEVER, EVER, EVER vote for a Republican. It is time to raise the SS cap and tax the rich to balance the budget.
Bill Clinton balanced the budget.
Bush came in and cut taxes, which tanked the economy. Now, they want to continue cutting taxes ... how far down will they go? where will they stop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections