Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:59 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I notice NO ONE wants to address how seniors abuse Medicaid. 4.6 Million seniors are taking Medicaid and transferring their assets to family members so the government pays for their Medicare and long term care.

A college educated person pays more in taxes because their income is greater. An educated populace reduces welfare and increases tax revenue.
I'll address, yes, that is a loophole that I find irritating since I see it here. I have a current "for instance". I have a friend that is 71 and lost her husband to Alzheimers last year. Because they didn't have long term care insurance, Medicaid stepped in to pay for care or at least some because they had Medicare all parts. They both worked hard all their life and have a very modest home. In her case, and bless her for being one who wants to always do the right thing, when her home sells, Medicaid will take back what they paid toward her husband's care before he died. She can barely keep her taxes paid and now, the house isn't selling. A wealthier person would have had a lawyer take care of the transfer that you are discussing and all money from the sale would end up as hers, not technically but she would walk with it. She says she wants to pay what is due because it should be that way. So, in reality, for people that don't have a lawyer and know the system, usually those with less, it sucks the way it is being done.

I googled and found this article which for sure means you want to plan ahead and as always, a lot of "ifs" and "but": Medicaid's Asset Transfer Rules | ElderLawAnswers This is worth a read since it is really interesting.

What is irritating is they make all these laws and regulations and somebody that can afford a good lawyer can find a loophole.

Like I said, I am glad he said this because I want him out of the race anyway since really, he is one that there is just something about and this latest attitude, not so much what he said but the "smudge", I was looking for what it was that bothered me about him and that is it. There is a way to say something and way not to say something and he needs to learn the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 02:13 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
This is a good video from Bernie Sanders, who in my view has the best solution to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAcv7g3O_iM

Old 10-10-2015, 02:32 PM

587 posts, read 379,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
when her home sells, Medicaid will take back what they paid toward her husband's care before he died. She can barely keep her taxes paid and now, the house isn't selling. A wealthier person would have had a lawyer take care of the transfer that you are discussing and all money from the sale would end up as hers, not technically but she would walk with it. She says she wants to pay what is due because it should be that way. So, in reality, for people that don't have a lawyer and know the system, usually those with less, it sucks the way it is being done.

What is irritating is they make all these laws and regulations and somebody that can afford a good lawyer can find a loophole.

Like I said, I am glad he said this because I want him out of the race anyway since really, he is one that there is just something about and this latest attitude, not so much what he said but the "smudge", I was looking for what it was that bothered me about him and that is it. There is a way to say something and way not to say something and he needs to learn the difference.
Wealthy people with lawyers are not gonna use Medicaid. They are gonna buy long term care insurance. What Medicaid pays are not 5 star resorts. A wealthy person is not gonna take those chances. Also they tend to buy Medicare supplement plans, which gives them access to the best doctors and hospitals in the nation. I know a lot of people who use those supplement plans. They are well off but I wouldn't say they are millionaires.

As far as I know Medicaid will allow the surviving spouse to live in the property. Once they die they will sell the home and try to recover some of the money Medicaid paid

The problem with both republicans and democrats is that they don't want to face the real problem. There is no money. Caring for old people is extremely expensive.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Main reason why I will NEVER, EVER, EVER vote for a Republican. It is time to raise the SS cap and tax the rich to balance the budget.
Bill Clinton balanced the budget.
Bush came in and cut taxes, which tanked the economy. Now, they want to continue cutting taxes ... how far down will they go? where will they stop?
Cutting taxes doesn't tank the economy. It stimulates it.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Cutting taxes doesn't tank the economy. It stimulates it.
It depends how they are targeted. Slashing taxes on the rich while slashing incomes for ordinary people by laying off teachers and fire fighters and making cuts in SS and the social safety net is not good for the economy.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:10 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
I often wonder just how ss can be going broke.
Much more money is being pumped into it because working people are making tons more money then lets say I was making in my working life.

Obviously the money intended to be placed in the ss account is being diverted by congress to other interest.
Perhaps THAT is what needs to be investigated.
Kinda like the gasoline tax here in California.
That tax was supposed to go for road construction and repair.
Instead it went into the general fund, where the politicians think it is Christmas every day of the year.

Bob.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:44 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
2.9 workers putting into the program for every recipient. How much longer can the program survive?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:45 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I often wonder just how ss can be going broke.
Much more money is being pumped into it because working people are making tons more money then lets say I was making in my working life.

Obviously the money intended to be placed in the ss account is being diverted by congress to other interest.
Perhaps THAT is what needs to be investigated.
Kinda like the gasoline tax here in California.
That tax was supposed to go for road construction and repair.
Instead it went into the general fund, where the politicians think it is Christmas every day of the year.

Bob.
The government borrows and leaves "IOUs", seriously, that is what they do. Then, supposedly when the money is needed for SS, they cash in the IOU. You can't cash in an IOU with someone that spent the money and vault is empty. That is my take.

As long as we have plenty of money for illegals, they need to pay the social security and find the money!!! Note: Bernie Sanders will spend your money on illegals.

Also, in KS, as far as I know, there is very little choice in retirement options so, unlike the wealthier areas of the country, the Midwest is a little different.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
2.9 workers putting into the program for every recipient. How much longer can the program survive?
If we lift the cap on income subject to payroll tax, it can not only be preserved, but even be expanded. This is what the overwhelming majority of Americans want to see done, according to polls.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:02 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I will say, and have before on this forum, that even though I am six years from retirement age (66) I would have no trouble with raising my retirement age to 68, immediately. No waiting '20 years' for an increase in the retirement age to kick in. Kick it on up to 69 or 70 in a decade or so.
My guess is you don't do heavy labor for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections