Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:33 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times

Advertisements

I don't like what he says but I can't argue with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 12:20 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Start by eliminating all welfare, including Obamacare and Medicaid to the able- bodied under 65 leeches and then we'll talk.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:58 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Nobody who wants to touch my social security will ever get my vote!

I worked hard for over 40 years, beginning at age 16, and earned every dime that went into my social security account. So did everyone else I know, and it's MY money, not Kasich's!

I don't want anybody else's money. I just want to get back what my contribution was for so many decades. That's all anyone wants, and fair is fair.

And though I'm officially retired, in actuality, I'm still working part-time. I expect I will need to continue to work until I no longer can, too, and I am far from being an exception. Millions of people are doing exactly the same, and and made the same good faith commitment I made. We all deserve to see that commitment honored, just as it was for my parents and grandparents.

There are many, many ways to cut government costs and/or increase government revenue. Messing with social security is not one of them. Kasich is crazy for thinking the citizens will put up with tinkering with social security. Anyone who tries will find hell to pay if they try.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:15 AM

7,513 posts, read 5,756,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He is the one who lead the theft of Social Security funds to "balance" the budget.

The person should have told him "Eff you".
You must be talking pre Obama because he has yet to come up with a budget.. Which is why he has accumulated more debt that all previous Presidents combine..

Old 10-10-2015, 04:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The ignorant typically believe that. Try reading the law:

TITLE II-FEDERAL OLD-AGE BENEFITS

OLD-AGE RESERVE ACCOUNT

Section 201. (a) There is hereby created an account in the Treasury of the United States to be known as the Old-Age Reserve Account hereinafter in this title called the Account. There is hereby authorized to be appropriated to the Account for each fiscal year, beginning with the fiscal year ending June 30, 1937, an amount sufficient as an annual premium to provide for the payments required under this title, such amount to be determined on a reserve basis in accordance with accepted actuarial principles, and based upon such tables of mortality as the Secretary of the Treasury shall from time to time adopt, and upon an interest rate of 3 per centum per annum compounded annually. The Secretary of the Treasury shall submit annually to the Bureau of the Budget an estimate of the appropriations to be made to the Account.

(b)
It shall be the duty of the Secretary of the Treasury to invest such portion of the amounts credited to the Account as is not, in his judgment, required to meet current withdrawals. Such investment may be made only in interest-bearing obligations of the United States or in obligations guaranteed as to both principal and interest by the United States. For such purpose such obligations may be acquired

(1) on original issue at par, or
(2) by purchase of outstanding obligations at the market price. The purposes for which obligations of the United States may be issued under the Second Liberty Bond Act, as amended, are hereby extended to authorize the issuance at par of special obligations exclusively to the Account. Such special obligations shall bear interest at the rate of 3 per centum per annum. Obligations other than such special obligations may be acquired for the Account only on such terms as to provide an investment yield of not less than 3 per centum per annum.

(c)
Any obligations acquired by the Account (except special obligations issued exclusively to the Account) may be sold at the market price, and such special obligations may be redeemed at par plus accrued interest.

(d)
The interest on, and the proceeds from the sale or redemption of, any obligations held in the Account shall be credited to and form a part of the Account.

(e)
All amounts credited to the Account shall be available for making payments required under this title.

(f)
The Secretary of the Treasury shall include in his annual report the actuarial status of the Account.

Source: Social Security History
The official numbers, which included "off-budget" items including the Social Security trust funds, did show surpluses for all four fiscal years of Clinton's second term. However, the "on-budget" totals alone showed a different picture -- only the 1999 and 2000 fiscal years recorded on-budget surpluses, and over these four years, the total surplus added up to a mere $26 billion. And because most of the surplus was calculated from money flowing into the Social Security trust funds, the national debt did not get paid down in the aggregate: From 1998 to 2001, more than $280 billion was added to the tab.

Was America's Budget Really Balanced in the '90s?

They counted the off budget funds (Social Security) into the on-budget ledgers.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default John Kasich tells seniors "GET OVER IT" on his proposed SS cuts

Welcome to "former presidential hopeful" status.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:19 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
what is it with the GOP candidates and foot in mouth disease? <--- they need some of this

John Kasich tells audience member they'd 'get over' his Social Security plan - CNNPolitics.com

"who's doing the raping?"
"stuff happens"
now
"get over it"

"he also had a plan to change Social Security so that initial benefits were lowered for individuals not yet near eligibility.

Instead of just throwing out insults, why not discuss the issue like an adult, if you are able.Someone at least has the guts to recognize that SS is in deep trouble and IS WILLING TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE.

What is YOUR solution to SS?

Not like the dems who constantly ignore the issue and REFUSE to even bring it up.

If you really want to address "foot in the mouth disease" we can post ALL of Obama's, Biden's and Hillary's, Pelosi's, Reid's etc.By the way your "article" is from April. You might want to get up with the times.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Social Security will be insolvent down the line, they need to increase payments, raise the age or reduce benefits. No one wants to have an honest discussion on this and other issues, they want to hear that a failing system will not impact them and politicians are glad to accommodate.

I give Kasich and Christy credit for being honest, something in short supply.
"Social Security will be insolvent down the line," It already is.

SS started in 2010 to pay out MORE then they bring in. Which is WHY the fed has to cash in the T bills, borrow money from china, to make the payments.

People like the OP like to bring up issues and cast insults, yet are totally ignorant of the facts of the issue.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I always find it funny when Republican seniors are outraged by cuts to Social Security. They voted for it, they should live with the results of their vote.

By the way - a major portion of Medicaid goes to seniors too. It goes to senior housing. So when you say cut Medicaid, just know seniors will definitely be affected.

"I always find it funny" to read "when Republican seniors are outraged by cuts to Social Security." since that is NOT what he said, and it has NEVER been proposed.

"Ignorance is bliss", someone said.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
It kills me when these politicians who are on the public dole and get lifetime pensions and healthcare talk about cutting SS. I say they if they vote out all the bennies they get after they leave office, then I'll consider listening to them. Until then, they are just windbags.
It kills me to read ignorant claims.

"I say they if they vote out all the bennies they get after they leave office,"

Please enlighten us on all the "free bennies" you think they get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections