Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 06:33 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Every Republican in Congress runs on "anti-government" and then collects a government pension and health coverage for life. They aren't going to vote for cuts for themselves, they are going to vote for cuts for you.
"and health coverage for life"

Prove it.

I am constantly amazed how some continue to make fools of themselves by posting claims that have absolutely NO knowledge about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Not in the Middle East. Republicans squandered trillions in Iraq, and soon to be Iran.
PSST!, the DEMS CO-SPONSORED THE BILL AND VOTED for it.

Ignorance is bliss and some don't mind showing their ignorance.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Medicare and Social Security: What you paid compared with what you get | PolitiFact

According to the institute’s data, a two-earner couple receiving an average wage — $44,600 per spouse in 2012 dollars — and turning 65 in 2010 would have paid $722,000 into Social Security and Medicare and can be expected to take out $966,000 in benefits. So, this couple will be paid about one-third more in benefits than they paid in taxes.

Forbes Welcome

The amount that American workers have paid and are paying into Medicare isn’t enough to fund all the benefits that are being paid out to seniors under Medicare.

And they are't even counting the Medicaid seniors take.
"The Urban Institute, a non-partisan research institute in Washington".

Sorry, they are as LIBERAL as you can get.

" and turning 65 in 2010 would have paid $722,000 into Social Security and Medicare and can be expected to take out $966,000 in benefits"

The article does NOT say if they included the employer portion of SS paid, which is really a reduction in paycheck.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
So let me get this straight. Seniors are all about reducing the national debt and against anyone that's a "taker". But if the money all goes to them, that's okay? If they transfer all their assets to others so they can get the government to pay for their long term care, that's okay? They can vote for a Congress that passes something like Medicare Part D, completely unfunded, and that doesn't contribute to the national debt? They are mostly against government healthcare except Medicare, even though 4.6 million are not paying their share because they are collecting Medicaid, and if you bring it up, you're against seniors?

Just imagine the conversation of someone discussing transferring all their assets to others so they can get the government to pay for all their long term care after they have been collecting years of Social Security and Medicare benefits.
"So let me get this straight. Seniors are all about reducing the national debt and against anyone that's a "taker". But if the money all goes to them, that's okay?"

Therein is your problem.

You do not HAVE IT STRAIGHT BY A LONG SHOT.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Nobody who wants to touch my social security will ever get my vote!

I worked hard for over 40 years, beginning at age 16, and earned every dime that went into my social security account. So did everyone else I know, and it's MY money, not Kasich's!

I don't want anybody else's money. I just want to get back what my contribution was for so many decades. That's all anyone wants, and fair is fair.

And though I'm officially retired, in actuality, I'm still working part-time. I expect I will need to continue to work until I no longer can, too, and I am far from being an exception. Millions of people are doing exactly the same, and and made the same good faith commitment I made. We all deserve to see that commitment honored, just as it was for my parents and grandparents.

There are many, many ways to cut government costs and/or increase government revenue. Messing with social security is not one of them. Kasich is crazy for thinking the citizens will put up with tinkering with social security. Anyone who tries will find hell to pay if they try.
"Nobody who wants to touch my social security will ever get my vote!"

CALM DOWN. TAKE BREATHE. TAKE A CHILL PILL IF NECESSARY, NO ONE IS PROPOSING TO TAKE ANYTHING FROM YOU.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:12 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
This is the #1 reason that I switched from being a Republican after 20 years being a Republican.

I won't vote for anyone that proposes cuts in Social Security or Medicare or that wants to privatize them. Or vouchers which is the same as a cut in Medicare, but disguised in smoke and mirrors. Bush wants this.

The example in the post above about the 'average' couple and what they paid versus what they keep. This assumes they live long enough. There are many many others that paid into Social Security and Medicare and they died before they were old enough to collect a penny. Then there are lots of people that only collect for a short period of time before they die. These folks receive much less than their contributions. How convenient that those folks got left off of the example. Also they left off higher earners, who pay a lot "in" and they don't get an equivalent proportion in benefits paid. They conveniently got left off the the example too, because they might pay more "in" than they received.

Last edited by sware2cod; 10-10-2015 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-10-2015, 08:35 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually they have never even had the option to vote for that. Republicans suggest cuts down the line.
Republicans never have a problem goring someone else's ox. The vast majority of working Americans want the peace of mind that the boomer's enjoyed of at least a small check in their retirement and are willing to pay for it. Republicans are inventing an issue with social security. They have been opposed to it since its inception and keep spewing lies and distortions about its financial stability as an excuse to repeal it. The old age and survivors provision is not all that upside down and can be fixed with relatively minor changes that do not involve going back to the 1930s. Disability is a mess and is being abused. The abuse needs fixing, not the program.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:59 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
I will say, and have before on this forum, that even though I am six years from retirement age (66) I would have no trouble with raising my retirement age to 68, immediately. No waiting '20 years' for an increase in the retirement age to kick in. Kick it on up to 69 or 70 in a decade or so.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:16 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Social Security will be insolvent down the line," It already is.

SS started in 2010 to pay out MORE then they bring in. Which is WHY the fed has to cash in the T bills, borrow money from china, to make the payments.

People like the OP like to bring up issues and cast insults, yet are totally ignorant of the facts of the issue.
Show me the facts, please, not your opinions.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:22 AM

587 posts, read 379,690 times
Kasich is saying what nobody wants to hear. All people want to hear is the beautiful empty promises Trump, Carson and Hillary sell. An utopia where money last forever, we can help everybody and don't forget there are many "unnecessary programs we can cut" and use the money to help our elderly and invest in education for our children. They say all this while "what a wonderful world" plays in the background

Reality is different. It's inconvenient, crude, cruel and inevitable.

No matter how outraged some people get, the system needs to be modified and trust me it will be changed. We cannot afford these programs in their current state.

Of course ideally we could fix Medicare and Medicaid by reducing healthcare costs but the healthcare mafia won't allow that. So forget about that.

If we don't start fixing the problem now, how are we gonna fix it in the future? Should future generations get screwed because some people can't take a cut now? We will become Logan's Run?

Younger generations, please make sure the Second Amendment is protected because you may need to use that gun in the future...on yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections