Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 05:40 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I say, let the Republicans cut the Social Security, hand seniors a voucher and watch them live their vote.
Benefits have been cut in the past thru raising the retirement age without much political expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 05:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Benefits have been cut in the past thru raising the retirement age without much political expense.
Meh, I want current seniors to feel the effects just as much as those coming down the pipe. But we could watch seniors battle approaching seniors, that could be entertaining.

May sound harsh but they vote for this so it's just giving them the results of their vote. Republican candidates are never shy about saying they want to cut Social Security and Medicare and seniors vote for it. Let it be so.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Meh, I want current seniors to feel the effects just as much as those coming down the pipe. But we could watch seniors battle approaching seniors, that could be entertaining.

May sound harsh but they vote for this so it's just giving them the results of their vote. Republican candidates are never shy about saying they want to cut Social Security and Medicare and seniors vote for it. Let it be so.
Actually they have never even had the option to vote for that. Republicans suggest cuts down the line.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Actually they have never even had the option to vote for that. Republicans suggest cuts down the line.
Battle Royale! Current seniors in a battle against the "down the line" seniors due to get their benefits cut.

The takers vs. the soon-to-be-taken. That would be interesting.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:51 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
You hardly ever here Democrats address what is needed to shore up SS. The fact is you need either benefit cuts, tax increases or some combination of the two. We really can fix SS, we can't fix Medicare and Medicaid without drastic measures.

Liberalized legal immigration if done right could help.
Oh, heck no! One of the problems of Kasich is that he is soft on illegal immigration: John Kasich: 'God Bless' Illegal Immigrants - Breitbart If you want to save money, put them back where they came from to the tone of billions: The Fiscal Burden of Illegal Immigration on United States Taxpayers (2013) So, we need to look at taking care of our own, plain and simple!!! We also don't need any more Hb1 immigrants driving down the wages: Silenced workers who lost jobs to H-1B visa abuse (quietly) speak out | Washington Examiner and 'Send them all back': Layoffs provoke H-1B visa blowback | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com With tariffs on incoming goods like there used to be to make a level playing field for American made products, jobs will materialize that pay a decent wage and as wages increase, more FICA will be collected.............. This needs to be a comprehensive plan not just axe this, axe that. Take care of OUR OWN first!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
It kills me when these politicians who are on the public dole and get lifetime pensions and healthcare talk about cutting SS. I say they if they vote out all the bennies they get after they leave office, then I'll consider listening to them. Until then, they are just windbags.
There are plenty of places to make cuts and social security isn't one of them. As I said above, we need to take care of our own people first. I know a lot of older people who are just barely making it and no, we can't get less because we already won't have enough to keep out extremely modest house, pay taxes, pay insurance needed to supplement insurance, etc. and why didn't we save? Depressed wages and benefits, thanks to the ever increasing illegal population that Kasich wants to make legal.

If you haven't guessed by now, Trump has the plan I want in place. Kasich? I'm glad he said this.

Interesting article on what happened with social security: http://blogs.marketwatch.com/encore/...cial-security/

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 10-09-2015 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 05:55 PM

At some point the unfunded liabilities of SS and Medicare must be addressed. The sooner the better.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
The first Kasichville should be in his neighborhood.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
and no, we can't get less because we already won't have enough to keep out extremely modest house, pay taxes, pay insurance needed to supplement insurance, etc. and why didn't we save? Depressed wages and benefits, thanks to the ever increasing illegal population that Kasich wants to make legal.
So seniors expect those of us still working to pay for them and they don't want any cuts to their Social Security, their Medicare or their Medicaid even though they admit they didn't save? They can't take any cuts? None at all? Hmm.

And they vote for Republicans that tell them point blank cuts need to happen. Doesn't sound logical.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:

What a moronic position. It's based upon ignorance. That's sad.

Women vote for Republicans also so I guess you are cool with them all losing their abortion rights? The (D)'s could have raised the ceiling when they had the chance. Did they? No. Did Clinton sign off on the budget that stole from S.S.? Yes he did.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
So seniors expect those of us still working to pay for them and they don't want any cuts to their Social Security, their Medicare or their Medicaid even though they admit they didn't save? They can't take any cuts? None at all? Hmm.

And they vote for Republicans that tell them point blank cuts need to happen. Doesn't sound logical.
You don't seem to have problem paying to support people and immigrants on welfare.
And that costs us over $1 trillion a year which is more than SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections