Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 07:16 PM

1,733 posts, read 949,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I often wonder just how ss can be going broke.
Much more money is being pumped into it because working people are making tons more money then lets say I was making in my working life.

Obviously the money intended to be placed in the ss account is being diverted by congress to other interest.
Perhaps THAT is what needs to be investigated.
Kinda like the gasoline tax here in California.
That tax was supposed to go for road construction and repair.
Instead it went into the general fund, where the politicians think it is Christmas every day of the year.

Bob.
Same here in Texas. Re SS and Medicaid; the left argues that illegals pay into SS yet never reap the benefits of it. If this is the case, why does the gov't claim SS is insolvent? As far as Medicaid is concerned, illegals use it to benefit their children, which drains our resources to take care of our legal citizens.
In contrast, my Railroad Retirement is solvent because we aren't managed by the gov't. Bush and Gore both wanted to get their paws on RR retirement, claiming the gov't could manage it much better than we could. Ummm, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 07:25 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My guess is you don't do heavy labor for a living.
And what percentage of Americans hold serious manual labor occupations in 2015? This isent the 1890s when half the population worked on farms, or the 1940s when most people worked in factories.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ked-on-pounds/
Quote:
Jobs requiring moderate physical activity, which accounted for 50 percent of the labor market in 1960, have plummeted to just 20 percent.
Besides, why can't these people work part time in a less strenuous occupation? Around here on Long Island all the big box chain stores and quite a few fast food places have significant numbers of older workers in their 60s and 70s. On a recent visit to my local Target I estimated that about half the workers were in their 60s or older.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:36 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
And what percentage of Americans hold serious manual labor occupations in 2015? This isent the 1890s when half the population worked on farms, or the 1940s when most people worked in factories.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ked-on-pounds/

Besides, why can't these people work part time in a less strenuous occupation? Around here on Long Island all the big box chain stores and quite a few fast food places have significant numbers of older workers in their 60s and 70s. On a recent visit to my local Target I estimated that about half the workers were in their 60s or older.
The older workers you see are are lucky they are still in good health and are able to stand on their feet for an entire 8 hour shift. There are many who cannot. Not disabled enough to collect disability, but unable to find work that is not so physically grueling. (And yes, standing for any length of time is extremely grueling for someone with arthritic knees or back problems). These types of folks are counting the days until retirement. Moving the goalpost further back is cruel and unnecessary. Just by controlling illegal immigration and eliminating birthright citizenship along with cutting waste and fraud will help fill the coffers so there will be enough SS for all American citizens.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:50 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
So admirable that sooo many people want these programs to go kaput right after they die, if you get my drift.

The need for SS should be mitigated for future generations to some extent because people are cognizant of the need to save independently for retirement via 401(k), IRA, etc. Not so much for some of the seniors.

Mick

Old 10-11-2015, 07:09 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
So admirable that sooo many people want these programs to go kaput right after they die, if you get my drift.

The need for SS should be mitigated for future generations to some extent because people are cognizant of the need to save independently for retirement via 401(k), IRA, etc. Not so much for some of the seniors.

Mick
Easier said than done. Except for the wealthier areas, there isn't money to save. I don't see why people can't get this through their heads. A lot of people, even with both husband and wife working, still can't make ends meet. I think the average, and hopefully you understand what "average" entails, income is about $35,000 a year. Now, how many thousand can you save a year. Also, keep in mind that these people have high medical deductibles so if they get into trouble with medical bills, any savings will be used to cover that.

We'll talk again when tariffs on incoming goods have been instituted and the illegals are back in their country of origin because at that point, we'll be able to talk about people being able to save money for retirement and a huge increase in the money flowing into social security.

Also, many of the minimum wage job are being sucked up by the illegals, part and full-time, and even the students can't find desperately needed employment to finance their educations.

Illegals be gone! http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...efits-in-2017/ You can't be soft on illegal immigration and talk continuously about cutting benefits for citizens of the US or you just need your butt kicked permanently to the curb!

Old 10-11-2015, 09:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We'll talk again when tariffs on incoming goods have been instituted and the illegals are back in their country of origin because at that point, we'll be able to talk about people being able to save money for retirement and a huge increase in the money flowing into social security.
Having to pay more for goods and services will have a negative impact on savings. Try again!

Old 10-11-2015, 09:59 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Social Security will be insolvent down the line, they need to increase payments, raise the age or reduce benefits. No one wants to have an honest discussion on this and other issues, they want to hear that a failing system will not impact them and politicians are glad to accommodate.

I give Kasich and Christie credit for being honest, something in short supply.
I am from NJ and Christy would rather give money to illegals to send them to college than for the people who had their paychecks docked who depend on their social security to live on.. Christie is really off on his priorities...

Christie said he spends 18 thousand dollars a year times 13 years..234 thousand dollars for each illegal to go to school so why not invest more to sent them to college.. something very wrong here... Old people will be dead by the time they can collect...some work very hard and can't save a dime because the cost of living goes up.. many people will not be able to put any money away in savings and the banks will not give any interest today anyway so they are out in the cold... Christie is not for the American people.. we will all be old and we will be cheated ..

Old 10-11-2015, 10:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am from NJ and Christy would rather give money to illegals to send them to college than for the people who had their paychecks docked who depend on their social security to live on.. Christie is really off on his priorities...

Christie said he spends 18 thousand dollars a year times 13 years..234 thousand dollars for each illegal to go to school so why not invest more to sent them to college.. something very wrong here... Old people will be dead by the time they can collect...some work very hard and can't save a dime because the cost of living goes up.. many people will not be able to put any money away in savings and the banks will not give any interest today anyway so they are out in the cold... Christie is not for the American people.. we will all be old and we will be cheated ..
It's not often we agree but on this we do. I've been working since I was 16 years old and am now 54. My paycheck has been docked that entire time to pay into Medicare and SS.

As we know, the middle class (always the forgotten class IMO) has seen our paycheck decrease instead of increase.

I now am supposed to work until I'm . . . 72? What IS the age now? Meanwhile, the young people in Corporate American can't WAIT until I get out of the way so they can have my job.

We can't win.

Meanwhile my Father, who I love and miss dearly, collected Army Retirement Pay, Teacher's Retirement Pay and SS until the day he died and he retired early at age 60. He had a fabulous retirement and let me also say that he was a big saver too.

I guess my point is . . . when is it our turn - those of us who have been paying into this for 40 some years?

My second point it - Kasich does NOT have a way with words. He also told a young woman who asked a thoughtful question that he didn't have any 'Taylor Swift tickets" as if that were an appropriate response.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
what is it with the GOP candidates and foot in mouth disease? <--- they need some of this

John Kasich tells audience member they'd 'get over' his Social Security plan - CNNPolitics.com

"who's doing the raping?"
"stuff happens"
now
"get over it"
Do you seriously think it is only the GOP that does this? Go back and check what some of the Dems have come out with?

Let me also add, which has been mentioned: he made his comments tongue in cheek and he isn't talking about taking anything away from those who are retired or about to be. Most of us know, SS and Medi care is costing billions and billions of $$s. They were never meant to be the only sourse of income and they were not meant to be used for 20 or more years. As fewer people enter the work force, we live longer and baby boomers entering retirement age, something does have to be done. One thing, raise the age for full benefits, which has been done and raise the contributions, if only for those making over a certain amount.

Last edited by nmnita; 10-11-2015 at 11:50 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 12:26 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
I think there should be no Congressional pensions. Why should we pay for their retirement when so many of them seem determined to cut ours? We should take away Kasich's pension, force him to rely on Social Security like so many Americans, and then when he whines--and the entitled class always whines when they don't get what they think they deserve--we can tell him to just "Get over it!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections