Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:27 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,123,736 times

Advertisements

More importantly, has anyone researched if we have to call Bill Clinton "First Dude" or "First Gentleman" or something?

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 09:31 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,430,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Wish-list item: After the Bush-Clinton experience, We the People should pass a Constitutional amendment barring members of the same family from holding the office of president for at least a hundred year interval.

Certainly parents, children, siblings, spouses, even divorcees, grand-children, possibly close in-laws and close cousins.

I remember being abroad when I heard Bush Jr had won the nomination for president, I simply could not believe it, thinking his only qualification is being the former president's son. And the actual policy results were in many ways disastrous.

Since then, outside of the passage of ACA, the actual policy results have been mainly status quo - and even ACA is mainly the gifting to insurance companies of captive customers locked into relatively complicated high deductible policies, which was laughable to me when I realized it, having already had such a policy for years. Too bad about Kathleen Sebelius, by the way.

Most likely, if Mrs. Bill Clinton becomes president, the actual policy outcomes will also mainly be continuance of the status quo.

Personally I'll be okay, but this family dynasty thing is really not healthy for a Constitutional representative republic.

So even if the best we can do is maintain the status quo and slog along, can't we at least have a bit more diverse rotation of power?

I realize that the democrat bench is thin, but this is totally uninspiring: they could have done better if forced to.

Good Luck!
Democrats don't have any-one to run other then Hillary. Ultimately we have a choice to re-elect Clinton v re-electing Bush.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:20 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,900,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Terrified of the inevitable?
More like terrified of the tyranny.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:29 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
More importantly, has anyone researched if we have to call Bill Clinton "First Dude" or "First Gentleman" or something? Mick
Hmm. We could always call him First Liar and First Adulterer. Both confirmed. Kinda hard to beat that.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:37 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 28 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,564,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this is a ridiculous post, of course she is eligible to run for president, since she was never elected to the office of president in the first place. same with vice presidents, there is no limit on how many times one can run for vice president, only on the office of president.

and there is another side benefit to the 22nd amendment, and that is that no one that has held the office of president for two terms or ten years, can ever run for vice president, speaker of the house, or be appointed to a cabinet post, since these are all people in the line of succession for president should something bad happen to the president.
That isnt true, they would simply be ineligible to succeed to the presidency the same as any member of the cabinet who isnt a natural born citizen.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,613,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
get used to it---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Terrified of the inevitable?
Eight years ago a large majority of Americans assumed that Hillary Clinton would receive the Democratic nomination. If she had then run agaist McCain she probably would have been elected. However, a virtually unknown senator started receiving massive donations and garnered the support of what we might call the ruling elite. He received the nomination and was elected president.

When George Bush the elder ran for reelection in 1992 most people assumed that he would easily win. Powerful Democrats with thoughts of the future didn't wish to be the Democratic candidate that year so a little known governor won the nomination. However, as a result of an unexpectedly strong third party candidate who took far more votes from Bush than from Clinton there was a Democratic victory that was unexpected just a few months before.

Will something just as unforeseen happen next year? Who knows? However, I believe that Hillary worshippers (I think that that's a more precise term than supporters) are being rather presumptuous. It's well to remember that Democrats, not Republicans, defeated her eight years ago.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
get used to it---
I just threw up in my mouth!!!!

Old 10-25-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
What about a 2 term president having gender reassignment, then running for president because they are legally an entirely new person?
Too easy. Since few men lop off their naughty bits and truly 'trans', they are technically men, ergo...ineligible for more terms.

How many women have fully operational penises attached to them...If it has a vagina it's a woman. Same result as above.

Just like it has been all of your life.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:13 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,325,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I would never vote for a hundred-year interval. But 25? Sure.
Maybe my math is wrong, but it seems that 2017 - 1992 = 25. You can figure out for yourself what I am referring to.

Twenty-five years is a mere breath in the life of a family and a century a mere pittance in the history of a nation. Twenty years is usually considered a generation.

If we ban parents and children, then at least 60 years, if grandchildren then at least 80-100.

I am not too sure how successful Argentina has been with alternating spouse presidents. Guatemala just had a chance to consider it, but they voted in a comedian instead. Now there is a good chance that we will be facing a similar choice in a few months.

You see, we have become more like them.

... that giant sucking sound ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgx1C_S6ls

Old 10-26-2015, 03:22 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,425,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
The article states that 2 term limit was enacted in 1950th.

Family members, But she already served in the Oval Office by being the First Lady. She already held that Office !
This is scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Legally yes.
Morally? That's up for debate.
Nobody cares about your morals. The issue of same-sex marriage has been settled--the homophobes lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections