Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 07:28 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's pretty odd looking over the national polls on Real Clear: both the Republicans and Democrats are about to nominate the candidate who performs most poorly in the election. The candidate who could win everywhere for the Republicans against either Democrat, according to these polls, is coming in last in the voting while the party big names endorse another. The candidate who loses everywhere is leading the Republicans.
Personally, I think those numbers will change a lot once there is one Democrat and one Republican. No matter what everyone is saying now, I think most people will rally around their party's candidate in the end.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:49 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Personally, I think those numbers will change a lot once there is one Democrat and one Republican. No matter what everyone is saying now, I think most people will rally around their party's candidate in the end.
Agreed. Though I think this one is going to be, more than usual, about voting against the other guy rather than your candidate. It's gonna be an ugly campaign all around.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:02 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
It's pretty odd looking over the national polls on Real Clear: both the Republicans and Democrats are about to nominate the candidate who performs most poorly in the election. The candidate who could win everywhere for the Republicans against either Democrat, according to these polls, is coming in last in the voting while the party big names endorse another. The candidate who loses everywhere is leading the Republicans.
Those polls are national so don't tell us anything about whom will perform well or poorly in the general election. Like the primaries, the general election is won state-by-state.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:16 AM

957 posts, read 1,133,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I just heard Ted Cruz say on Fox News that he was ahead in New York by 15%. I'm wondering what poll he's talking about because the only one that I've seen recently, shows trump ahead by 52%. That was only one week ago.

Am I missing something? Is he just making numbers up out of thin air? Is he talking about a poll of his relatives that live in New York?

Trump 64
Cruz 12
Kasich 1

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - New York Republican Presidential Primary
Lyin' Ted

Old 03-23-2016, 09:40 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
Lyin' Ted

Ted Cruz, A Bush By Another Name | The Daily Caller

Old 03-23-2016, 10:30 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Agreed. Though I think this one is going to be, more than usual, about voting against the other guy rather than your candidate. It's gonna be an ugly campaign all around.
Doesn't anyone vote according to party platform/agenda anymore, even despite the disenchantment?

Given my political beliefs, I could no more vote for Trump (or Republican) than I could for Genghis Khan. I vote for Hillary/Democratic, because the positions promoted by her/that party best align with mine. Are there people who vote differently?

Not that I don't know the answer when it comes to many Americans who make up their minds "as seen on TV," but besides those who vote according to rationale not based on political agenda, does anyone simply vote "against" the other guy more so than for their candidate?

Our popular vote just gets crazier and scarier by the day...

Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Doesn't anyone vote according to party platform/agenda anymore, even despite the disenchantment?

Given my political beliefs, I could no more vote for Trump (or Republican) than I could for Genghis Khan. I vote for Hillary/Democratic, because the positions promoted by her/that party best align with mine. Are there people who vote differently?

Not that I don't know the answer when it comes to many Americans who make up their minds "as seen on TV," but besides those who vote according to rationale not based on political agenda, does anyone simply vote "against" the other guy more so than for their candidate?

Our popular vote just gets crazier and scarier by the day...
This is my only comment, but I have to vent.

You would vote for a pathological lying woman who lied to the parents of the 4 murdered men in Ben Ghazi ! lied to the public, lied to the Senate; has been lying all her life; lost high profile law firm jobs because of her lying.

And lies to YOU. Because her positions align with yours ? ! Really.

I beg you .... DON'T VOTE AT ALL!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

You would vote for a pathological lying woman who lied to the parents of the 4 murdered men in Ben Ghazi ! lied to the public, lied to the Senate. And lies to YOU. Because her positions align with yours ? ! Really.
I vote for the candidate whose positions and priorities best align with mine. I do not hold Secretary Clinton responsible for the deaths of those who died in Benghazi.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:06 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
This is my only comment, but I have to vent.

You would vote for a pathological lying woman who lied to the parents of the 4 murdered men in Ben Ghazi ! lied to the public, lied to the Senate; has been lying all her life; lost high profile law firm jobs because of her lying.

And lies to YOU. Because her positions align with yours ? ! Really.

I beg you .... DON'T VOTE AT ALL!
Breath...

I have read much the same sort of accusation lodged against Obama. Accusations of much the same sort have even been charged by GOP candidates toward one another! What is actually true largely depends on who you want to believe, what you want to believe...

Otherwise, I suppose we can believe the political vetting process, as Hillary Clinton has been through more than most, is either of no matter, or we let the legal/political process determine what are "lies" and what are really just differences of opinion. The description of Hillary above is so over-the-top damning you are left believing the woman should be in jail for life or maybe these charges are simply not quite as true as spouted.

I debate whether I should vote at all for a variety of reasons, but if/when I do vote, I try to judge a bit more fairly and rationally, while also keeping in mind that politics is a nasty business that brings criticism of just about every candidate one way or another. We choose the "least of evils," and I try to do so based on the political agenda promoted by the candidate and the party they represent, whichever seems most aligned with the direction I think best for America.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:51 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
To be fair, Kasich has the unknown factor in his favor, hence the stronger favorability ratings. Putting it mildly, his name hasn't been dragged through the mud to the extent or a HRC or a Donald Trump, two people who have been in the public eye for decades. That would obviously change should Kacish miraculously win the nomination.

This is why their h2h polling, even at this early stage, is more instructive than usual. Everyone already knows who HRC and Donald Trump are--they're two of the most well-known non-incumbent presidential candidates in history. There's no unknown factor with them, and when polls suggest Hillary would trounce Donald, they're a pretty decent indicator of how the election is shaping up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections