Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 01:36 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
I agree that children are off-limits, and in a perfect world, politicians wouldn't use them as campaign props. That said, it's quite a stretch to suggest that the cartoon in question is an attack on Cruz's daughters. Were the family African American, one could kinda sorta maybe see some racial angle. But absent that historical trope, the cartoon is clearly a criticism of Ted for using his daughters like organ grinder monkeys.

At the risk of provoking a broader and more heated back-and-forth, does anyone on the modern right understand symbolism or context?
Really? How did you miss the symbolism that depicting any human as a monkey implies that they are less evolved and therefore subhuman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 10:47 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Would the Washington Post ever depict Chelsea Clinton or the Obama girls like this? I doubt it.

Leftist media is full of double standards.

Bush's daughters were in the media a lot. Left or right they play the same game.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:46 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Children should always be off limits.
I generally agree; however, when Ted has his daughters reciting stories like "The Grinch Who Lost Her Emails," then he has effectively placed them into his political game. He really brought it on himself, but Republicans are typically good at turning controversy into money-making, so Cruz has done pretty well as a result of the WaPo cartoon.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:55 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I generally agree; however, when Ted has his daughters reciting stories like "The Grinch Who Lost Her Emails," then he has effectively placed them into his political game. He really brought it on himself
Criticize HIM for doing so, yes. But depicting his daughters as subhuman beings? Absolutely not.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
So quick to jump on any whiff of political incorrectness, the left seems to have no trouble making sexist, insulting, outlandish comments against anyone not kowtowing to their beliefs. Ridiculing two young children of a politician you disagree with is crossing the line and is repulsive in its cruelty.
well that is the Washington Post for you. It makes me sick to see anything like this happening.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:55 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Criticize HIM for doing so, yes. But depicting his daughters as subhuman beings? Absolutely not.

EXACTLY. Because their father behaved poorly does not excuse going after them. You go after Cruz for doing it. These are not adults, they dont get to choose things with a adult viewpoint. They do what their dad asks, as such their father is responsible, NOT them.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:56 PM

752 posts, read 566,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
"Really? How did you miss the symbolism that depicting any human as a monkey implies that they are less evolved and therefore subhuman? "
You're getting hung up on the monkey thing, but it's irrelevant — it's the relationship that matters. The cartoonist could've used a pair of seals and their trainer or, to be really offensive, a pair of prostitutes and their pimp. The point is that Cruz is manipulating his daughters in a deplorable way for selfish ends, something his daughters are too young to understand or resist. But I'm betting I could explain this to you a thousands times and you still wouldn't get it.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
You're getting hung up on the monkey thing, but it's irrelevant — it's the relationship that matters. The cartoonist could've used a pair of seals and their trainer or, to be really offensive, a pair of prostitutes and their pimp. The point is that Cruz is manipulating his daughters in a deplorable way for selfish ends, something his daughters are too young to understand or resist. But I'm betting I could explain this to you a thousands times and you still wouldn't get it.
Informedconsent gets it just fine, he has stated that that was wrong.

What you don't get is that it does not excuse the WaPo using them.

And no...I'm not a friend of informedconsent. LOL. Not even remotely. But I think you are mischaracterizing him here.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:47 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
EXACTLY. Because their father behaved poorly does not excuse going after them. You go after Cruz for doing it. These are not adults, they dont get to choose things with a adult viewpoint. They do what their dad asks, as such their father is responsible, NOT them.

Your exactly right. I cannot stand OBAMA but I am not fake and never have been ashame of my feelings.

However that said, because I loathe his policies or the way the Country is going.

Is never a reason, to go after his children. Adults if they are considered adults, do not stoop that low. Enough said, when you go after children, you cannot stoop any lower period.

And sorry but if these were the Obama girls right now, this would be a federal case even by some of you, who claim it would not bother you, reading some of your posts, tells me something very different.

Children are not their Parent's and should be left alone.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
And sorry but if these were the Obama girls right now, this would be a federal case even by some of you, who claim it would not bother you, reading some of your posts, tells me something very different.
Earlier in the thread I linked to a tea party candidate doing so. So far the only response was to claim that, no he was a libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections