Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:49 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Cruz and Obama situations are pretty similar (both born to US citizen mothers). Why did Obama took years and years to settle but Cruz's citizenship is portrayed as a nonissue right off the bat?
I think Cruz needs to produce paperwork to back his claims. It is only fair. The subject came up and was quickly swept under the carpet which is always a red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
cruz's mother would have had to renounce her US citizenship before his birth to have affected his US citizenship. if this would have happened it would be on file with the US state department. i've yet to see any evidence pointing to cruz's mother receiving canadian citizenship let alone renouncing her US citizenship ( which wouldn't have been required to receive canadian citizenship ).

obama has yet to be eligible for indonesian citizenship under indonesian law.
We would just like to see verification of this and a final decision made by our government on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
These cases are not similar. Obama was born in the state of Hawaii to an American mother. Case closed. The original birthers kept saying he was born in Kenya because they were/are racists.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada. His father was born in Cuba. How did his father enter Canada? As a tourist? As a spouse of a Canadian citizen or as a spouse of an American citizen? What?

I want to see paperwork. It's only fair.
Yes, it is only fair. I agree. It shouldn't be a big deal, just produce the paperwork. Obama put his own self up to scrutiny: The Vetting - Exclusive - Obama's Literary Agent in 1991 Booklet: 'Born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawaii' - Breitbart

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I have never seen any evidence that she renounced her US citizenship either, why would she. When her husband became a Canadian citizen (which we know he did), wouldn't she automatically become eligible to become a Canadian citizen anyway. I don't know the wait period, but if she applied, she may have held dual citizenship.
We don't know what she did. We don't know anything because the paperwork has not been produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So if someone demands for proof about Cruz, and they are not White, does this make them a racist?
Of course it does. What else could they come up with? As you know "racist" and "hate" are the buzz words used when they have no case.

I also agree 200% with what Informed Consent has posted after looking and reading about this myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 07:01 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,437,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think Cruz needs to produce paperwork to back his claims.
if cruz's mother didn't renounce her US citizenship exactly what paperwork could be produced?

that was an error made by marriam goderich promoting the literary agency to publishers. it's most likely that obama never saw the booklet. also, it wasn't discovered until years after birtherism began. you can't cite it as the source for "scrutiny".

Old 01-07-2016, 10:28 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,914,759 times
I am a Trump supporter – Is Cruz a Natural Born Citizen?

Looks like he's safe -

According to our Constitution, at Article II, Section 1, clause 5,

Quote:
No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
According to the “Qualifications for President and the “Natural Born†Citizenship Eligibility Requirement†report from the congress research service. By Jack Maskell a Legislative Attorney

Quote:
In addition to historical and textual analysis, numerous holdings and references in federal (and state) cases for more than a century have clearly indicated that those born in the United States and subject to its jurisdiction (i.e., not born to foreign diplomats or occupying military forces), even to alien parents, are citizens “at birth†or “by birth,†and are “natural born,†as opposed to “naturalized,†U.S. citizens. There is no provision in the Constitution and no controlling American case law to support a contention that the citizenship of one’s parents governs the eligibility of a native born U.S. citizen to be President
The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term “natural born†citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship “by birth†or “at birth,†either by being born “in†the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship “at birth.†Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an “alien†required to go through the legal process of “naturalization†to become a U.S. citizen
Trump 2016

Old 01-07-2016, 11:10 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
The point is not so much that he is or isn't. The point is do you really want to get behind someone who can be dogged for the entire election cycle by questions? And no, it is not "settled law", as Cruz claims. There is no law and it is not settled. Why take a chance?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:10 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Cruz and Obama situations are pretty similar (both born to US citizen mothers). Why did Obama took years and years to settle but Cruz's citizenship is portrayed as a nonissue right off the bat?
Partly because the questioning/challenging of Obama's citizenship status has established some of the parameters. Mr. Trump has already danced down this primrose path.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:15 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
If the quote is by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents, Cruz only had one citizen born parent. The other was an alien.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:28 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Got this from Wiki,
"When he was a child, Ted Cruz's mother told him that she would have to make an affirmative act to claim Canadian citizenship for him, so his family assumed that he did not hold Canadian citizenship.[24] In August 2013, after the Dallas Morning News pointed out that Cruz had dual Canadian-American citizenship,[25] he applied to formally renounce his Canadian citizenship and ceased being a citizen of Canada on May 14, 2014.[24][26]"

Now, who know about what the mother told the child? Seems like a convenient explanation after the fact. I find it hard to believe that as an adult Cruz never wondered about the possibility of Canadian citizenship given that he was born there. If I was born in Switzerland you can be sure I would find out, and it wouldn't take a presidential run.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:46 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
These cases are not similar. Obama was born in the state of Hawaii to an American mother. Case closed. The original birthers kept saying he was born in Kenya because they were/are racists.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada. His father was born in Cuba. How did his father enter Canada? As a tourist? As a spouse of a Canadian citizen or as a spouse of an American citizen? What?

I want to see paperwork. It's only fair.
Of course Obama was born in Hawaii, claims that he wasn't were stupid. The only question with merit was over the parent requirement from 1952 to 1986 (we since changed that). The citizen parent was to have residing in the US for ten years including five years after the age of 14. Obama's mom was 18 years old in 1961, it appears she didn't met the five year post residency requirement. Had she been 19 years old, no problem. Should we quibble over a couple of months? I don't think so.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:50 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Partly because the questioning/challenging of Obama's citizenship status has established some of the parameters. Mr. Trump has already danced down this primrose path.
But, the challenge may come and the Supreme Court has not weighed in which would create a long investigation of the subject: Congressman Readies Ted Cruz Eligibility Lawsuit With Eye on Mom - US News Did they ever produce Ted's mother's birth certificate? I heard they had not and that is pretty easy thing to produce if it exists when someone asks about it.

I don't think Creepy Cruz will make it that far as whether or not he is a citizen will be the least of his problems.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:00 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,437,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Of course Obama was born in Hawaii, claims that he wasn't were stupid. The only question with merit was over the parent requirement from 1952 to 1986 (we since changed that). The citizen parent was to have residing in the US for ten years including five years after the age of 14. Obama's mom was 18 years old in 1961, it appears she didn't met the five year post residency requirement. Had she been 19 years old, no problem. Should we quibble over a couple of months? I don't think so.
this age restriction only applied to births abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections