Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 09:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,290,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
The man is a citizen.
Not enough. If it were enough, the Framers could have just written citizen. Why did they choose "natural born" instead? They were no dummies and their English was better than most of us today. I can understand why. People say well, you can renounce your other citizenship. This may not be possible. What if a country won't relinquish its sovereignty over you? You can renounce it all you want. That's why American parents aren't enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 12:36 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,847,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Not enough. If it were enough, the Framers could have just written citizen. Why did they choose "natural born" instead? They were no dummies and their English was better than most of us today. I can understand why. People say well, you can renounce your other citizenship. This may not be possible. What if a country won't relinquish its sovereignty over you? You can renounce it all you want. That's why American parents aren't enough.
Why did they choose "natural born"? The simple answer is that "natural born citizen", in the Constitution, was adopted from British common law. British common law for "natural born" simply “recognized that children born outside of the British Empire to subjects of the Crown were subjects themselves and explicitly used ‘natural born’ to encompass such children.” So the term by this definition simply means “someone who was a US citizen at birth with no need to go through a naturalization proceeding at some other time.”

On the Meaning of

It is what Ted Cruz says it is - "straight forward".

Old 01-10-2016, 03:09 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,888,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Why did they choose "natural born"? The simple answer is that "natural born citizen", in the Constitution, was adopted from British common law.
Incorrect. The requirement was originated by John Jay in his July 1787 letter to George Washington, and was explicitly meant to exclude foreign citizens/subjects from the office of President and Commander of Chief of the US Military. I've explained why they sought to do so by citing the US State Dept's current position on dual citizenship, and giving both historical and current examples of how dual citizens are compromised and have been negatively impacted by having to obey the laws of both countries under well-established international law.

Read more about the issue, and learn:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/42533068-post195.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/42542354-post246.html

Old 01-10-2016, 12:30 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,465,053 times
"You can't have a person running for office, even though Ted is very glib and he goes out and he says, 'Oh, well, I'm a natural born citizen.' The point is, you're not," Trump said during a rally in Clear Lake, Iowa.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Incorrect. The requirement was originated by John Jay in his July 1787 letter to George Washington, and was explicitly meant to exclude foreign citizens/subjects from the office of President and Commander of Chief of the US Military. I've explained why they sought to do so by citing the US State Dept's current position on dual citizenship, and giving both historical and current examples of how dual citizens are compromised and have been negatively impacted by having to obey the laws of both countries under well-established international law.

Read more about the issue, and learn:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/42533068-post195.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/42542354-post246.html
Our Constitution was built upon the wording they were familiar with in British Law. It's a no-brainer.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:57 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,888,566 times
Quote:
Our Constitution was built upon the wording they were familiar with in British Law. It's a no-brainer.
It's a no-brainer that John Jay suggested that foreign citizens/subjects be excluded from eligibility for POTUS. And his suggestion was included in the Constitution. Those born dual citizens are foreign citizens/subjects. They're ineligible. Period.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
"You can't have a person running for office, even though Ted is very glib and he goes out and he says, 'Oh, well, I'm a natural born citizen.' The point is, you're not," Trump said during a rally in Clear Lake, Iowa.
Trump is simply dishonest. TODAY, he said that Ted Cruz flip-flopped on Ethanol. LOL! Ted has ALWAYS said they would phase out the mandate. That's the proper way to handle it. I dislike Trump the more he speaks. He is like the GOP Establishment - lie, obfuscate, twist the truth, whatever to win. Two Thumbs down for Donald Trump. If he were to win, we would be calling him Liar in Chief - mark it down.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:

It is what Ted Cruz says it is - "straight forward".
With a space or without?

Old 01-10-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Trump is simply dishonest. TODAY, he said that Ted Cruz flip-flopped on Ethanol. LOL! Ted has ALWAYS said they would phase out the mandate. That's the proper way to handle it. I dislike Trump the more he speaks. He is like the GOP Establishment - lie, obfuscate, twist the truth, whatever to win. Two Thumbs down for Donald Trump. If he were to win, we would be calling him Liar in Chief - mark it down.
I know, it must be so disappointing. You were with him al these months but he had to say something stupid like this and lose you.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:04 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,516,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Not conclusive proof but there is evidence. She was on the voter's list in Canada. Either she was/is a citizen or she or her husband lied to enumerators.

I'm trying to understand why her husband obtained Canadian citizenship but she didn't.
Raphael Cruz Sr was a Cuban citizen who obtained permanent residency (green card) status in the US. He paid to renew the green card every 10 years (for almost 50 years) until 2005 when he became a US citizen.

By abandoning the US for 8 years and moving to Canada he jeopardized his Green card status - he was no longer a US resident. Perhaps getting Canadian citizenship made it easier to move back to the US. Otherwise he'd be a Cuban trying to enter the US through Canada.
This is my latest speculation. It always bugged me that Cruz Sr. became a Canadian citizen, no offensive to Canada btw. It's just that the University of Texas accepted him and gave him scholarships. He received a student visa, refugee status and a green card (that's a big deal). American companies also took a chance and hired him. His children were born in Texas and lived in Texas. I think he went to Canada to avoid being drafted, legal US residents had to register. Late 1960's = Vietnam. Mrs. Cruz didn't need Canadian citizenship to vote because she was a British citizen (dual US citizenship). Her first husband is rumored to have been from England, she lived for six years in England, her son was born and passed away there. That's what I'm guessing anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections