Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 11:40 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,843,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why would Cruz's spokesperson spout that misinformation? The enumeration list is what is used at the polling stations - if you are on the list you can vote.

Apparently, you didn't read the article. A spokesperson for the Canadian Elections board explained that the list was compiled by workers going door to door and asking the name of the persons living at the residence. There was not requirement to show an ID or prove eligibility to vote to have your name on that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 11:47 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
If he was a Canadian I think he should not be eligible. So the question is, was he ever a Canadian?
His parents moved him to the US when he was 4. Tell me, what kind of divided national allegiance could he possibly have had?

There's a very long list of reasons why Cruz should not be president. This isn't one of them.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:47 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
LOL - The answer is that Cruz is eligible to run for President.
Nope. I've posted several times on why he is not. Hint: has to do with well-established international law.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Trump is the ultimate Birther (though he doesn't like to discuss it now) and I'm not surprised that he's harping on this issue. Just enough - to try and plant that seed of doubt in anyone's mind that might vote for Cruz.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
My understanding is that if one of your parents is an American citizen, then you are an American citizen.

It doesn't matter where you are born.

Of course, there are situations that can make this less certain. Say your mother is a U.S. citizen, but your father is a German citizen. You might be expected by the U.S. or by Germany to make a choice -- or apply for dual citizenship.

The requirement that the President be a "natural born" U.S. citizen implies to a lot of people that he or she has to have been born in the U.S. or in one of its possessions.

Anyway, there is enough confusion here to give constitutional scholars, lawyers, and judges an opportunity to raise a stink.

Trump seems to recognize that.

His stated concern is that the Democrats will challenge Cruz's qualification to be President if Cruz becomes the Republican nominee.

Whereas, with Trump as the nominee, there is no basis for such a challenge.

Trump thus becomes a "safer" Republican nominee than Cruz.

And since Cruz is Trump's biggest challenger right now, it makes sense for Trump to advertise that fact.

Full disclosure: I support Trump.
You are also a rational individual. You are correct regarding citizenship. There are certain other requirements. Say, only one parent is a US Citizen, but not by birth. Instead, say your father was a citizen of Cuba and so was your mother, but your mother became a US citizen before you were born. Four years after obtaining US Citizenship, your parents moved to Brazil, where you were born. In that instance, you may not be considered a US Citizen, since your mother was not a natural born citizen and had only been a US citizen for 4 years before your birth, you may not be eligible to run for president. I know that there was an issue like that discussed with regard to Obama's mother, since she was only 19 when he was born, but then again, I really didn't pay all that much attention to the whole birther nonsense.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So he was raised by a communist father? No problems there, for sure.

LOLZ, you are adorable! cueball. Just adorable.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Why did Cruz renounce his Canadian Citizenship only recently? Did he actually carry a Canadian passport? Did Cruz recently take advantage of the Canadian Welfare system? Did he pay any taxes to Canada? If so, would you be comfortable with a guy, who was running around with the papers of a foreign country?
I would pay money to see Ted Cruz go through the crap he subjected President Obama to. We need to see it go through every single court system that exists legally and I want to see him provide pieces of evidence after pieces of evidence.
Cruz is hated by so many Republicans in the Senate, I bet you, they would all love to see him disappear from the scene. I expect these Senators to do a very deep vetting job on Cruz.
Pass the pop corn, please ...
1. Why did Cruz renounce his Canadian Citizenship only recently? He only learned of the Canadian Citizenship in August 2013, when it was reported in a Dallas newspaper. Before that time, he had absolutely no knowledge of the dual citizenship, nor did his parents. Upon learning about it, Cruz began the process to renounce the Canadian citizenship. And within less than a year, his dual citizenship was revoked and he has been solely a US Citizen (to his knowledge, since birth) officially since 5/14/2014.

"This is to certify that the person named above has formally renounced Canadian citizenship and pursuant to the Citizenship Act will cease to be a citizen on" May 14, 2014, [scribd]229039536[/scribd]the letter read[/url].

2. Did he actually carry a Canadian passport? NO Cruz had no knowledge of the Canadian citizenship until 2013 which he immediately took steps to revoke, so there would never have been any reason for him to carry anything but a US Passport.

3. Did Cruz recently take advantage of the Canadian Welfare system? NO

4. Did he pay any taxes to Canada? NO. Cruz has only lived in the United States since his parents returned the US in 1974, when he was 4 years old.

Cruz never commented about Obama's eligibility and had nothing to do with any investigation of said eligibility, so your desire to fund this boondoggle is nothing but spite and sour grapes.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:08 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Trump is the ultimate Birther (though he doesn't like to discuss it now) and I'm not surprised that he's harping on this issue. Just enough - to try and plant that seed of doubt in anyone's mind that might vote for Cruz.
That is Trump's point. He plays dirty and that allows you a glimpse into what his presidency would be like.

This article sums of Trump:

Quote:
Admit It: You Just Want Your Own Dictator

Read more at: Donald Trump & Vladimir Putin: Strong Leaders?

Old 01-11-2016, 12:27 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It is NOT relevant. His mother is a US citizen (which makes him a citizen) and she lived in the United States for the prescribed number of years. There is no case here.

Why didn't you ask to see Obama's birth certificate, which we still have not seen (the one purported to by his b/c was a phony). By the same standards/laws that Barack H. Obama has been declared "qualified," so is Cruz.
As much as I am loathe to agree with the nonsenseguy, I do agree that Cruz is eligible by virtue of his mother's citizenship. Still, it's amusing that even as nonsenseguy is claiming that, he still can't resist getting in a dig at the president and his "phony" BC. Too, too funny, considering that Obama was born in the U.S. and has the State of Hawaii backing him up, and Cruz wasn't even born on U.S. soil and produced a Canadian BC that looks like it came from a Cracker Jacks box.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-17-2016 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-11-2016, 12:32 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
1. Why did Cruz renounce his Canadian Citizenship only recently? He only learned of the Canadian Citizenship in August 2013, when it was reported in a Dallas newspaper. Before that time, he had absolutely no knowledge of the dual citizenship, nor did his parents. Upon learning about it, Cruz began the process to renounce the Canadian citizenship. And within less than a year, his dual citizenship was revoked and he has been solely a US Citizen (to his knowledge, since birth) officially since 5/14/2014.
This makes him a pretty crappy "Constitutional scholar" doesn't it? A guy who, A, knew he was born in Canada; and B, purportedly closely studied the Constitution, but never put two and two together? He doesn't sound bright enough to be the president to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections