Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 01:59 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,843,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The question needs to be settled once and for all as far as a precise definition of natural-born citizen. You would think that Cruz would welcome this since he is calls himself a "constitutionalist". As I have said before, we don't want another pick and choose POTUS.

What effect does the language of the Naturalization Act of 1802 have on this issue?

SEC4 And be it further enacted That the children of persons duly naturalizedunder any of the laws of the United States or who previous to the passing ofany law on that subject by the government of the United States may have become citizens of any one of the said statesunder the laws thereof being under the age of twenty one years at the time oftheir parents being so naturalized or admitted to the rights of citizenshipshall if dwelling in the United States be considered as citizens of the UnitedStates and the children of persons who now are or have been citizens of theUnited States shall though born out of the limits and jurisdiction of theUnited States be considered as citizens of the United States.

We are all very aware that the intent of the Founders was to prevent a foreign born individual from infiltrating the Federal Government. We are also aware that when the Constitution was drafted and even when the Naturalization Acts of 1790, et seq., were enacted, there were many individuals in the US who were born on foreign soil to parents who were not citizens of the US. The precise language with regard to NATURALIZED citizen was fully intended to address those issues of that day. For all intents and purposes, Ted Cruz is a US citizen who was born to an American Citizen and has spent his life in the US, most specifically, his formative years, and has proven by his service as a State's General Attorney, a US Senator and a clerk to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, that his loyalties lay squarely with the US and all this birther nonsense is only meant to slow the momentum of the Cruz campaign.

I can't believe that Trump supporters are not a little bit bothered that he is doing the dirty work for the GOP establishment by going Birther on Cruz. So much for supporting an "outsider"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 02:07 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Did we even have naturalization the way we have it today back when they wrote the Constitution? I suspect we are interpreting "naturalization" as understood today and "natural born" in a way that was not understood back then.
Naturalization Act of 1790.

Provided a process where immigrants could become US citizens. And declared the children of American fathers born abroad to be NATURAL-BORN citizens.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:09 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
What effect does the language of the Naturalization Act of 1802 have on this issue?

SEC4 And be it further enacted That the children of persons duly naturalizedunder any of the laws of the United States or who previous to the passing ofany law on that subject by the government of the United States may have become citizens of any one of the said statesunder the laws thereof being under the age of twenty one years at the time oftheir parents being so naturalized or admitted to the rights of citizenshipshall if dwelling in the United States be considered as citizens of the UnitedStates and the children of persons who now are or have been citizens of theUnited States shall though born out of the limits and jurisdiction of theUnited States be considered as citizens of the United States.

We are all very aware that the intent of the Founders was to prevent a foreign born individual from infiltrating the Federal Government. We are also aware that when the Constitution was drafted and even when the Naturalization Acts of 1790, et seq., were enacted, there were many individuals in the US who were born on foreign soil to parents who were not citizens of the US. The precise language with regard to NATURALIZED citizen was fully intended to address those issues of that day. For all intents and purposes, Ted Cruz is a US citizen who was born to an American Citizen and has spent his life in the US, most specifically, his formative years, and has proven by his service as a State's General Attorney, a US Senator and a clerk to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, that his loyalties lay squarely with the US and all this birther nonsense is only meant to slow the momentum of the Cruz campaign.

I can't believe that Trump supporters are not a little bit bothered that he is doing the dirty work for the GOP establishment by going Birther on Cruz. So much for supporting an "outsider"
As I have said before, it has not been addressed specifically by the Supreme Court and needs to be as far as the definition. He was not born on our soil or was not born to two US citizens. He is different (in many ways) than the others that were questions.

I can't believe in anyone in their right mind would endorse a man that was at a conference where this was being said so maybe we will have to agree to disagree. Cruz was there and refuses to answer questions regarding that. I don't think he will make it much further when people realize what he is and I am not talking about whether he qualifies to be POTUS. This Trump supporter cares most about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLobWHDdVw

Old 01-12-2016, 02:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
Thoughts on Cruz's citizenship?
Oh dear Lord not this again!!! Somebody make them shut up!!!

Those are my thoughts on yet another birther "crisis".

Old 01-12-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
As I have said before, it has not been addressed specifically by the Supreme Court and needs to be as far as the definition.

I can't believe in anyone in their right mind would endorse a man that was at a conference where this was being said so maybe we will have to agree to disagree:

REMOVED VIDEO

I guess, I had the same issue for those who endorsed a man who was friends with a domestic terrorist and who admitted to doing drugs and was involved in a land deal where one of the parties is a convicted felon that served (may still be serving) prison time. I also had issues with people who supported someone who was close friends with Rashid Khalidi, and whose mentor was a self identified Communist.

Speaking at an event where other presidential candidates are speaking hardly equals launching your presidential campaign at the house of a domestic terrorist.

We all have our opinions upon which we measure candidates. Yours precluded voting for Cruz. Mine doesn't.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's also important to understand that 'born a citizen' is not the same as 'natural born citizen.' That was irrevocably established by the original Constitutional Convention...
The best explanation I have read so far appeared in

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...12d_story.html

It sort of crystalized the issue for me. The issue is allegiance, and the place of birth is a uniquely determining factor, far more than bloodline.

The concept of “natural born†comes from common law, and it is that law the Supreme Court has said we must turn to for the concept’s definition. On this subject, common law is clear and unambiguous. The 18th-century English jurist William Blackstone, the preeminent authority on it, declared natural-born citizens are “such as are born within the dominions of the crown of England,†while aliens are “such as are born out of it.†The key to this division is the assumption of allegiance to one’s country of birth. The Americans who drafted the Constitution adopted this principle for the United States. James Madison, known as the “father of the Constitution,†stated, “It is an established maxim that birth is a criterion of allegiance. . . . [And] place is the most certain criterion; it is what applies in the United States.â€

He is on a lot shakier ground than Obama, and his is still going on.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:25 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
I found this information, seems to be very complete tracing the history but I have only just started reading it and don't have time to finish right now: Presidential Eligibility Tutorial

Old 01-12-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
The best explanation I have read so far appeared in

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...12d_story.html

It sort of crystalized the issue for me. The issue is allegiance, and the place of birth is a uniquely determining factor, far more than bloodline.

The concept of “natural born” comes from common law, and it is that law the Supreme Court has said we must turn to for the concept’s definition. On this subject, common law is clear and unambiguous. The 18th-century English jurist William Blackstone, the preeminent authority on it, declared natural-born citizens are “such as are born within the dominions of the crown of England,” while aliens are “such as are born out of it.” The key to this division is the assumption of allegiance to one’s country of birth. The Americans who drafted the Constitution adopted this principle for the United States. James Madison, known as the “father of the Constitution,” stated, “It is an established maxim that birth is a criterion of allegiance. . . . [And] place is the most certain criterion; it is what applies in the United States.”

He is on a lot shakier ground than Obama, and his is still going on.

LOLZ

Cruz born to a US Citizen (Mother) and lived his entire life from 3.5 until today in the US. Cruz clerked for the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and worked as a domestic policy consultant for a former US President.

Barack "Barry Soterro Hussein" Obama was born to a US Citizen (his mother) but spent all of his formative years living in Indonesia or on the island of Hawaii. Barack's parents met while they were learning Russian at an adult education course. Barack's father was from a Communist country and his mother fancied herself a communist sympathizer. Barack hung out with communists and domestic terrorists and his closest confidant, Frank Marshall Davis was an avowed communist. Obama's most trusted advisor, Valarie Jarrett was married to the son of a self identified Communist.

So yeah, Cruz is the one on shaky ground. ROTFLMAO

Old 01-12-2016, 02:38 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
As I have said before, it has not been addressed specifically by the Supreme Court and needs to be as far as the definition. He was not born on our soil or was not born to two US citizens. He is different (in many ways) than the others that were questions.

I can't believe in anyone in their right mind would endorse a man that was at a conference where this was being said so maybe we will have to agree to disagree. Cruz was there and refuses to answer questions regarding that. I don't think he will make it much further when people realize what he is and I am not talking about whether he qualifies to be POTUS. This Trump supporter cares most about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLobWHDdVw
I'm sure this has been said a million times, but I'll repeat it anyways: The Constitution of the United States does not specify that a person must be born inside the United States. It says they must be a natural born citizen and says nothing more on the subject.

The business of defining "natural born citizen" is up to Congress, and it was well defined when Ted Cruz was born.

For persons born between December 24, 1952 and November 14, 1986, a person is a U.S. citizen if all of the following are true:

1. The person's parents were married at the time of birth. Check, they were.
2. One of the person's parents was a U.S. citizen when the person was born. Check. His mother was American.
3. The citizen parent lived at least ten years in the United States before the child's birth. Check, his mom did.
4. A minimum of 5 of these 10 years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday. Check, his mom did that too.

Here we are in a global economy. Men and women alike might have to take a job in a foreign country for a few years. Others might be stationed overseas in the military. Some folks might just be on a long vacation. All of them might have babies while they're abroad. We need to give up the ridiculous notion that this makes those babies non-citizens. The courts covered all this ground when George Romney (Mitt's dad) ran for POTUS. Everything since is just rehashing stuff that's already been settled.

Trouble is, birthers are just like all conspiracy theorists: You can prove your point from every possible angle, but they'll never believe it. Even if the SCOTUS ruled on the matter, they wouldn't give it up.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:40 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
We do not define citizenship by bloodline. Otherwise, children of Mexicans here would still be Mexican. The fact that Cruz was born on foreign soil is relevant, I think.
No more than any other child of a citizen that is born on foreign soil. What if your parents were travelling and gave birth to you while in Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections