Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 10:24 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,530,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Laurence Tribe, the nation's foremost constitutional scholar, says the question is unsettled.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-born-citizen/
That would be dyed in the wool liberal and Bill Clinton's Wife supporter Tribe. Once again the Post shamelessly shills for the Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 10:25 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,390,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
he may be a '''foremost scholar''', but he is being dense on this issue

A natural born citizen or natural citizen is someone who is considered a United States citizen from birth. Unlike naturalized citizens, natural born citizens do not need to apply for any of the rights of citizenship. They are granted the right to vote at 18, along with all of the other rights and responsibilities associated with citizenship in the United States. In addition, natural born citizens are permitted to run for the positions of President and Vice-President, while naturalized citizens are excluded from these roles in American government by law.

There are two different ways in which a natural born citizen can be created. By American law, all people born on American soil are considered natural born citizens. In addition, people who are born overseas to American parents are also classified as natural born citizens.

People who are born on American soil are said to have the right of jus soli, and this right is protected in the 14th Amendment to the United States constitution, which specifically states that “all persons born in the United States...are citizens of the United States.” Jus soli has become a topic of hot discussion in some areas of the United States, because this right is also extended to children born of foreign parents, whether or not they are in the country legally. In the case of children born to illegal immigrants, some people use the derogatory term “anchor baby” to describe a child who is a natural born citizen, under the mistaken belief that illegal immigrants will not be deported if their children are considered American citizens.

For children born abroad, the principle which applies is jus sanguinis, or “rule of the blood,” and the rules can get a bit tricky. If a child is born to two parents who are both American citizens, the case is usually clear, and the parents need only apply for a United States passport on the child's behalf to ensure that his or her citizenship is formally recognized. If only one parent is an American citizen, however, jus sanguinis may or may not apply, and the case must be considered before the child is classified as a natural born citizen.

In situations where only one parent is a United States citizen, he or she must have lived in the United States for at least five years at some point before the child's birth as a full American citizen, and at least two of these five years must have occurred after the parent's 14th birthday. In the case of a child born to an American mother, the child is usually considered a natural born citizen, whether or not the mother is married. However, if an American father is involved in a relationship with a foreign woman and the couple is not married, the father may need to fight for the child's right to citizenship

obama son of a USA CITIZEN (mom) was born in hawaii (a state), and is a natual born citizen

cruz, born in canada, of a USA Citizen parent TRAVELING, is also a citizen...and constitutionally considered a naturally born citizen

mccain, born in US TERRITORY in panama, to USA parents is a natural born citizen

The issue with Obama is that if he was legally adopted by his stepfather Sotero in Indonesia, he is no longer a US citizen.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:27 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:

If I am not mistaken, Cruz was top of his class in Harvard Law school, and has argued successfully before the SCOTUS on several occasions.
I seriously doubt he has not vetted himself on this issue to make sure he is eligible to run.

He is not my cup of tea, but is growing on me because of his consistent message. Heck even Bernie Sanders has been growing on me. Not because of his political views, but he seems genuine in his positions & views.
I can respect that a lot more than some dishonest political chameleon like Hillary.

`

Old 01-13-2016, 10:28 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Cruz is a member of a vast right wing inspiracy.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:28 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
This horse has already been beaten to death. He is eligible.
(and I'm not a supporter of his)

Old 01-13-2016, 10:30 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
I am talking about Rafael Edward Cruz. His father is Rafael Bienvenido Cruz.

Well, one Rafa is the same as another to an old gringo like me.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:32 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
My thought?

There is already one active thread on this question. I don't see why there is a need for two.

Thoughts on Cruz's citizenship?

Old 01-13-2016, 10:33 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
This horse has already been beaten to death. He is eligible.
(and I'm not a supporter of his)
Canada is not a member of the United States of America.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:34 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Canada is not a member of the United States of America.
Here we go again, with the whole birther crowd again..

Old 01-13-2016, 10:34 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
That would be dyed in the wool liberal and Bill Clinton's Wife supporter Tribe. Once again the Post shamelessly shills for the Democrats.
I'm just curious where you're from, although you certainly don't have to share that.

The reason I wonder is that I'm not sure you have a very good perspective on the "Washington Post". Yes, it is somewhat on the left, although not as far to left as the "Washington Times" is to the right. And, at least the Post's op-ed page is relatively balanced. Or, do you think George Will and Charles Krauthammer are flaming liberals?

So, if the Post shills for the Democrats, then the Times shills for the Republicans and Tea Party. Thus, some degree of balance in that market.

And, since the Post sells more than 5 times as many papers as the Times, I guess the Post knows their market. And that's what it's all about -- selling newspapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections