Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 07:19 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,137,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
So war is a right and health care is not. Strange.
War is a right to what? You don't make sense. Please let us know how protecting our freedoms and way of life is the same as providing a consumer service. You probably think someone else should pay your electric bill. Don't lie.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:21 AM

39,117 posts, read 51,361,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
My question is, will people with cancer get the treatment they get now under private insurance? Will people be waiting years to get things like knee replacement surgery because it's not considered life threatening, as my British friend's father had to do? Even in the below article defending the British healthcare system, it shows the differences of health outcomes between the United States and Great Britain. More people survive cancer here than they do there.

Is public healthcare in the UK as sick as rightwing America claims? | Society | The Guardian
The main reason for the difference is that US medicine conducts unnecessary tests that turn up cancers that would never be fatal to the patient in their lifetime and then cures them. They die of old age heart ailments like they would have anyway. As for knees, I don't know, but knowing you are not getting new knees easily might make you take better care of yourself and keep your weight under control and most would never need a knee job. Much of our medical needs at older age are simply a reflection of our lifestyle when younger. Changes there could make a huge difference in the cost of medical care in the US.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:22 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,828,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
War is a right to what? You don't make sense. Please let us know how protecting our freedoms and way of life is the same as providing a consumer service. You probably think someone else should pay your electric bill. Don't lie.
Healthcare equates to an electric bill? Hmmm, do you have health insurance?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:23 AM

8,650 posts, read 9,165,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
My question is, will people with cancer get the treatment they get now under private insurance? Will people be waiting years to get things like knee replacement surgery because it's not considered life threatening, as my British friend's father had to do? Even in the below article defending the British healthcare system, it shows the differences of health outcomes between the United States and Great Britain. More people survive cancer here than they do there.

Is public healthcare in the UK as sick as rightwing America claims? | Society | The Guardian
Every first world country has its own way in the deliver of health care, they are not the same. The UK's system is all socialized, Canada's isn't. Medicare for all would be similar to what retiree's receive now and similar to Canada's system. 80/20 plan with supplemental private (regulated for-private coverage) one chooses from in order to fill in the gaps in a 80/20 plan. I've been paying into the medicare system for 40 years and still can not use it. I've seen folks who were insured for decades, loose everything because they became very ill.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:25 AM

89,323 posts, read 45,051,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Different practices around the country, boils down to the equivalent.
Would you be willing to adopt a national healthcare plan in which doctors won't even give people an appointment unless they pay an expensive annual out-of-pocket (not reimbursed) access fee?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 AM

39,117 posts, read 51,361,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Would you be willing to adopt a national healthcare plan in which doctors won't even give people an appointment unless they pay an expensive annual out-of-pocket (not reimbursed) access fee?
Utter nonsense. Name five people in this country that would ever want to go back to their old plans after going on Medicare. Reaching Medicare age is the singular advantage of growing old in the US. The same applies world wide. No one in his right mind would trade the health care system the have in UK, Canada, Germany, Russia, you-name-it, for the profit insurer system in the US.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,527,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The main reason for the difference is that US medicine conducts unnecessary tests that turn up cancers that would never be fatal to the patient in their lifetime and then cures them. They die of old age heart ailments like they would have anyway. As for knees, I don't know, but knowing you are not getting new knees easily might make you take better care of yourself and keep your weight under control and most would never need a knee job. Much of our medical needs at older age are simply a reflection of our lifestyle when younger. Changes there could make a huge difference in the cost of medical care in the US.
This attitude is utterly frightening. I'd rather continue to pay higher rates and maintain choice and high-quality care than allow attitudes like yours to play doctor and dictate which tests and procedures are deemed necessary. There's *no* such thing as insignificant cancer. Absurd.

Americans enjoy longer lifespans and better quality of life due to advances in medicine and I'd much rather see that trend continue in the right direction. Even at higher cost.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 AM

21,499 posts, read 10,621,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I approached this very subject in another thread and came armed with data and legitimate links demonstrating the unfortunate side effect of socialized healthcare in Canada, the UK, and Australia. Each country has alliances set up to track wait times now. Many links in the last few pages of this thread.

Why I Might Vote for Bernie Sanders
I've heard that the wait times in the British system are even worse than the wait times the U.S. veterans have had to endure under the VA system.

My major problem with it is single-payer means single choice. The only ones who will get quality care are rich people who can get private insurance and concierge type doctors. There will be two Americas, one where rich people get the best treatments and the poor and shrinking middle class get the shaft. We may get pretty decent care while we're young and not really needing anything more than a yearly physical, but when we get older and start needing more medical care, we will be S-O-L.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:31 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,137,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
As long as we have for profit insurance companies running our health care system we will have to pay for the health care cost and those insurances profits as part of our insurance premiums. We continue to pay more for health care than anywhere else in the world and not with great outcomes and its costs continues to increase faster than anywhere else before and after Obamacare because insurance companies are still involve. Even in our economic downturn the health care insurance was turning a profit
More nonsense. Where do you people get these ideas?
What you just said was; as long as we have for profit automobile companies running our auto industry we will have to pay for the the automobile cost and those auto company profits as part of our car ownership cost. Excuse me?
A simple analogy destroys your dangerous philosophy.
Your outlook on life and what you think you are entitled to is shameful.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 AM

21,499 posts, read 10,621,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections