Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 05:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Louisianans, not Okies.
This. Don't insult the Okies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 05:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
BS. It is apparent that you have NEVER actually discussed this issue with a self-identified Republican or conservative, because everyone I know, myself included have ALWAYS supported SS domestic partnerships that recognize all rights and benefits of traditional marriage. We do not agree to redefining marriage for a minority class, but we DEFINITELY support equal protection under the law for SS people who wish to live together as domestic partners.
You probably don't live in the Bible Belt. Here, most people oppose any rights for homosexuals and would go as far as to criminalize it if they could get away with it. I realize it isn't that way in more progressive parts of the country, but here, most Republicans will oppose any expanded rights for LGBT people.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:06 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
BS. It is apparent that you have NEVER actually discussed this issue with a self-identified Republican or conservative, because everyone I know, myself included have ALWAYS supported SS domestic partnerships that recognize all rights and benefits of traditional marriage. We do not agree to redefining marriage for a minority class, but we DEFINITELY support equal protection under the law for SS people who wish to live together as domestic partners.
No. As jjrose points out, you do not get to play the "Republicans were always fine with registered partnerships" card. Not yours.

Michigan, Nebraska, South Dakota and Virginia: Banned gay marriage (duh), civil unions and any marriage-like contract between unmarried persons.

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky Louisiana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Utah & Wisconsin: Banned gay marriage and civil unions.

We're not talking old legislation, either - all of these state constitutions were modified to include the bans in the 2000s and 2010s.

If there was in fact a live-and-let-live attitude like the one you describe, it DEFINITELY didn't show up when Republicans or conservatives went out to vote on the subject. In fact, the exact opposite took place.

The idea that same-sex unions were offered in good faith - indeed, at all - is revisionist history.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:15 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,845,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
On this we agree. Trump has a better chance of winning a General than Cruz.
I seriously doubt that. If you think Trump can win, read his ignorant Tweets. If you agree with his ignorant Tweets, then God help our country.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:39 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Louisianans, not Okies.
There's a difference?

FYI I'm a big duck hunter and prefer my 1980's D2 Olts from Arkansas.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I seriously doubt that. If you think Trump can win, read his ignorant Tweets. If you agree with his ignorant Tweets, then God help our country.
I can't stand Trump; I'm just saying with ALL his numerous flaws - he's still better then Cruz.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hillary is scared to death, of having to debate Ted Cruz.
I don't know. I think Hillary would be more afraid of debating Trump as the general rules of debating/politics don't always apply to him (i.e. he could trash Bill's sexual indiscretions despite having a questionable past himself, and not go down in the polls for doing so . . . that would be ill-advised and likely result in a different outcome if another candidate did it). While Cruz is a very skilled debater, Hillary isn't too shabby herself. Also, she'd at least be able to prepare fairly well for a debate with Cruz; not so much for a debate with Trump.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:42 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,120,475 times
Quote:
Lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections