Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:16 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times

Advertisements

I watched the town hall event last night with Hillary and Bernie. For the record I do think Bernie probably is one of the more honest politicians running. Probably cares more for the average American than most too. I just can't agree with his policies as they seem to extreme.

Case and point healthcare. A gentlemen asked about being middle class and having his taxes raised to pay for healthcare. Bernie responded how yes his taxes would rise but he'd save money with his health care plan overall.

So by that logic it seems like if you're somebody who eats healthy, stays active, avoids dangerous foods or activities statistically you will not go to the doctor as much. That's a fact. People who take care of themselves go to the doctor less.

So isn't that penalizing the people who live life taking care of themselves etc..? A lot of people take care of themselves because they see first hand from family members how certain activities and poor nutrition results in bad health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 09:32 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I watched the town hall event last night with Hillary and Bernie. For the record I do think Bernie probably is one of the more honest politicians running. Probably cares more for the average American than most too. I just can't agree with his policies as they seem to extreme.

Case and point healthcare. A gentlemen asked about being middle class and having his taxes raised to pay for healthcare. Bernie responded how yes his taxes would rise but he'd save money with his health care plan overall.

So by that logic it seems like if you're somebody who eats healthy, stays active, avoids dangerous foods or activities statistically you will not go to the doctor as much. That's a fact. People who take care of themselves go to the doctor less.

So isn't that penalizing the people who live life taking care of themselves etc..? A lot of people take care of themselves because they see first hand from family members how certain activities and poor nutrition results in bad health.
Well that inequality/unfairness is what happens when government attempts to make everyone equal.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:09 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:

Statistically, people that don't "take care of themselves" die at a much younger age. Given that the vast majority of health care costs are associated with the elderly, those that take themselves out early end up costing less in the long run. We should be taxing bicycles, running shoes and gym memberships to fund single payer.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Those that take care of themselves don't necessarily go to the doctors less. They actually go and have regular check ups.

Their overall end of life health care costs may be less but they go more often.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
I fully expect ALL the Republican voters on here who are opposed to single payer healthcare to sign a pledge that they will not sign up for Medicare when they hit 65 years old, and fully fund their own healthcare. Oh, and, feel free to pay back the money I paid to take care of YOU and/or YOUR parents.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:13 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I fully expect ALL the Republican voters on here who are opposed to single payer healthcare to sign a pledge that they will not sign up for Medicare when they hit 65 years old, and fully fund their own healthcare. Oh, and, feel free to pay back the money I paid to take care of YOU and/or YOUR parents.
Every paycheck I get taxed to help pay for medicare and social security. So why wouldn't I take advantage of the benefits if I've spent 50 years paying into?

When the government runs healthcare the doctors make less. When doctors make less less people want to become doctors. When less people become doctors we have a shortage.

When the government owns the hospitals they will fall apart because the only way to keep these hospitals up to date with repairs etc.. will be when they can fit in the budget which you should know can't be balanced by any party in the White House.

Healthcare system is in this country has it's problem but you get the government more involved everybody will be worse off.

The government also can't even take care of veterans in the veterans hospitals which is a small % of our total populate. So how do you expect government run hospitals to take care of the entire country.

And I know I'm getting a little off tangent there saying government owned. But that will be the next step. When doctors cant freely charge what they want for medical related stuff you'll slowly see the government get involved more and take over.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
I support Sanders and his ideas on health care but this has always been and is still a lame argument.

People pay for this their entire lives and don't have the option not to so of course they will want what they have been forced to pay for.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:39 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:

well, at least he's being honest. You can't have your cake and eat it too. No countries can be able to keep universal health care and relatively low taxes.

This being said, I don't dislike him, cannot even say I really hate his healthcare plan. The thing is this, his plan has no chance of passing in congress.

The rate for the richest bracket would be closer to 77%—a number we haven’t seen since 1964. This country is still controlled by small percentage of people. So sander's dramatic healthcare plan is not going to happen.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Why would you expect that? That would be stupid. I expect you to send the IRS money every year to help finance your whims.

I pay 150 bucks a month for my insurance. How is Bernie gonna save me money if he raises my taxes?

The Japanese pay the rest of my premium. Why would we want taxpaying Americans to pay for my premiums instead of the Japanese?

What developed in our country is insurance heavily subsidized by corporations partially due to a tax write off for those who work and government insurance for those who reach retirement age. It is an excellent system. I suggest you get a job, move out of mom's spare bedroom and experience it.

Last edited by whogo; 02-05-2016 at 02:38 AM..

Old 02-05-2016, 02:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Every paycheck I get taxed to help pay for medicare and social security. So why wouldn't I take advantage of the benefits if I've spent 50 years paying into?
Because your taxes only funded a small portion of medicare. The program is one of the biggest drivers of the national debt.

So if you want to be consistent with the principles of fairness you laid out in your first post, yes, you would forego medicare because you didn't fully pay your share of it.

Now, it goes without saying that there are tons of hypocrites who will oppose single payer, but still use medicare. This is selfish but that is human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections