Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Thanks for confirming that you have a reading comprehension problem.
You said the answer was your imaginary fines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:56 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You didn't bother to address my point.
What exactly was your point? You said that he won't get enough support, but we all know that and this topic is about what would have happened.

Then you talked about the minimum wage was not the problem, and I assumed you meant the high inequality is the problem. That is why I pointed out that $15 minimum wage will be higher than even Luxembourg.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:58 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
For example, are you aware what Bernie has stated about Uber? Five or six months ago, Bernie Sanders said he had "serious problems" with Uber as an “unregulated” company.

Bernie Sanders Takes on Clinton Welfare Legacy*as He Woos Iowa Unions - Bloomberg Politics
I hope the drivers find a way to regulate the terms of their employment on their own. As it is I don't believe it's possible to make decent wages as an uber driver once you factor in vehicle expenses and what corporate skims off the top.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Any prospective employee is able to negotiate pay with their prospective employer. A union isn't necessary to do that.
Necessary?

You're right, it's not necessary.

But a good union can be a great tool for higher wages and benefits, job security, better/safer working conditions, retirement, and grievance procedures. Most people would greatly benefit from collective bargaining.

CEO's don't work without a contract.

Many businesses find value in joining associations (employer unions if you will) because there is strength in numbers.

Most employees are "at will" and aggressively discouraged from joining labor associations.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:13 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I hope the drivers find a way to regulate the terms of their employment on their own. As it is I don't believe it's possible to make decent wages as an uber driver once you factor in vehicle expenses and what corporate skims off the top.
If the money made isn't worth the driver's time they won't drive for Uber!

Who are you to decide what are "decent wages" or if someone wants to accept a wage for a job?

Who is Government to micromanage business owners' or workers' decisions?

Why ask repeatedly what regulations Bernie Sanders would impose? I'm not a mind reader, but he has said on numerous occasions that he would impose regulations on this or that business or industry....a man who never ran a business and hasn't worked in the private sector in over 45 years, if he ever did.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
What exactly was your point? You said that he won't get enough support, but we all know that and this topic is about what would have happened.

Then you talked about the minimum wage was not the problem, and I assumed you meant the high inequality is the problem. That is why I pointed out that $15 minimum wage will be higher than even Luxembourg.
Nevermind....sheesh.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Any prospective employee is able to negotiate pay with their prospective employer. A union isn't necessary to do that.
Do you honestly believe than people other than high skilled professionals can negotiated individual salaries and benefits? Do you really believe that a group of employees in say Alabama can group together and negotiate those things without getting fired? How does a single person, or even a group of persons in a right-to-work state have any leverage with negotiating their terms of employment?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Do you honestly believe than people other than high skilled professionals can negotiated individual salaries and benefits? Do you really believe that a group of employees in say Alabama can group together and negotiate those things without getting fired? How does a single person, or even a group of persons in a right-to-work state have any leverage with negotiating their terms of employment?
It all depends on how bad they want it. Just because you want something doesn't mean it must be easy. I'm sure you are aware of what the coal miners went through to get the employers to the table.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If the money made isn't worth the driver's time they won't drive for Uber!

Who are you to decide what are "decent wages" or if someone wants to accept a wage for a job?

Who is Government to micromanage business owners' or workers' decisions?

Why ask repeatedly what regulations Bernie Sanders would impose? I'm not a mind reader, but he has said on numerous occasions that he would impose regulations on this or that business or industry....a man who never ran a business and hasn't worked in the private sector in over 45 years, if he ever did.
What do you do for a living?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I knew someone who worked for a company, didnt like their salary, couldnt get more, so they started a competitor. and then took over their former employees customers.

problem solved..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections