Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 04:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Why is this so different from what Hillary Clinton is proposing? She's fought for the elderly, children and family services and affordable health care for 40 years.
Nope....she fought for the same thing Obama did. Give aways to the insurance and pharmaceutical industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 04:10 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Stop spending. Stop spending. Stop spending. Our treasury is taking in records amounts of tax dollars, but they're spending it faster than it come in.
Republicans and Democrats keep spending in D.C. because that is how they get rich along with their Billionaire sponsors. The Fed funds it all by printing money and keeping interest at zero. They all work together to transfer wealth from the middle class to the Billionaire Class. Their reward is cushy jobs and mansions in Chevy Chase.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:12 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, the complaint was that Sanders was being honest when he said taxes will have to be raised.

Since you refused to actually answer my question I will note....I didn't see you say you weren't either.
There was never a complaint about Sanders being honest when he said he was raising taxes.

That's what YOU said I said. Didn't happen.

I think it would be a lot more fun for you if you start a thread where you can state your position and then pretend you are me and respond to yourself putting whatever words you want to in my mouth.

I have no opinion on Bernies honesty. I think hes wrong.........I don't really need to go beyond that to determine if he is being dishonest, ill advised or just wrong.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:17 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, the complaint was that Sanders was being honest when he said taxes will have to be raised.

Since you refused to actually answer my question I will note....I didn't see you say you weren't either.
Since you agree with Bernie... that taxes need to be raised to cover YOUR SHARE of the national debt... I would suggest that you're being dishonest if you demand higher taxes without volunteering for them yourself.

You should start paying those taxes RIGHT NOW if its the right thing to do. You can send a check to the US Treasury each and every month to pay YOUR SHARE of the national debt. Here is the address:

Department of the Treasury
1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20220

Be sure to include a little note explaining how bad you feel about YOUR SHARE of the national debt and you want to assuage YOUR guilt with this monthly check.

Now get busy writing those checks.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Since you agree with Bernie... that taxes need to be raised to cover YOUR SHARE of the national debt... I would suggest that you're being dishonest if you demand higher taxes without volunteering for them yourself.

You should start paying those taxes RIGHT NOW if its the right thing to do. You can send a check to the US Treasury each and every month to pay YOUR SHARE of the national debt. Here is the address:

Washington, D.C. 20220

Be sure to include a little note explaining how bad you feel about YOUR SHARE of the national debt and you want to assuage YOUR guilt with this monthly check.

Anyone who voted for any of the Republican Congresspeople who passed the obscene budgets is complicit in the gigantic debt that we all owe.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:55 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My experience with the city employee union was all negative. Though I did like some of the people personally, with one exception, all the people I worked with were lazy.

My union city employee coworkers rolled into work 15-45 minutes late then ate their breakfast at the desk before they started work. Two called in sick almost every other Monday or Friday, the days I worked. All took longer than allocated morning and afternoon breaks and lunch breaks. Everyone left the office at 4 PM no matter what work needed to be done.

I estimated none worked more than 5 hours out of an 8 hour day for which they were paid. None could be fired because they were longtime union employees. Our boss tried to humor them to behave sometimes, but to no avail.

I couldn't take that dysfunctional environment anymore after one year. Even though a poor and time strapped grad student, I found another part-time job with people who had a positive work ethic. Never set foot near a union again.
I believe every word of it. Attitudes and work practices like that are toxic to all working people and a waste of tax payer dollars. But public sector unions are fundamentally different than private sector unions in that they generally do not have anybody to compete with, and once the cow is dry, they will be displaced altogether when a city decides to privatize some of its services. Legit non-union contractors struggle to compete with the cheaters, and we end up with a race to the bottom.

We are at the job box at start time, and don't leave the work area until it's time to go home. The guys that don't produce, aren't skilled, or are absent frequently are generally laid off or fired.

The guys that work year round (as I generally do) understand that only thing we have to offer is our labor, and always strive for efficiency, the best product in the amount of time allotted.

There is a movement to take our unions back from inept union leadership, practice workplace democracy, and give a real voice to the workers. Part of that is also paying attention to legislation that affects workers. What I've been seeing is disturbing, like gutting of worker's compensation laws (just one example), which affects union and non-union, all workers regardless of political affiliation. Lawmakers Seek Federal 'Oversight' Of Workers' Comp As States Limit Benefits : The Two-Way : NPR

These are bread and butter issues for many people and Sanders is one of the few politicians that legitimately cares about these things. It's one of the top reasons why I'm going to vote for him.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
I have a 401k. Any trades I make will be taxed just like everyone else's.

Quote:

Washington, D.C. 20220

These are the tactics brought by those with no answers of their own.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:59 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Why is this so different from what Hillary Clinton is proposing? She's fought for the elderly, children and family services and affordable health care for 40 years.
Her problem is the awful honest/trustworthy polling she has, among Bernie Sanders supporters. Its terrible going into a general election with those numbers. Not to speak of the numbers she has among independents. She is getting crushed by Sanders among independents too.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:04 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Anyone who voted for any of the Republican Congresspeople who passed the obscene budgets is complicit in the gigantic debt that we all owe.

That's right, but it's Leftists that think that raising new taxes is the only solution to our debt problem (when it isn't). So for them I say... STEP UP. Start paying those extra taxes RIGHT NOW. You don't need to wai for the federal government to force you... you can do the patriotic thing RIGHT NOW and start writing checks to the US Treasury. Live your creed! Lead by example!

What are you waiting for?

Old 02-09-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
That's right, but it's Leftists that think that raising new taxes is the only solution to our debt problem (when it isn't). So for them I say... STEP UP. Start paying those extra taxes RIGHT NOW. You don't need to wai for the federal government to force you... you can do the patriotic thing RIGHT NOW and start writing checks to the US Treasury. Live your creed! Lead by example!

What are you waiting for?
Wrong. Progressives can be quite prudent also. But it is Establishment Republicans and Democrats who keep voting for gargantuan budgets that raise the deficits. Totally obscene. Cruz, Rubio are part and parcel of that lather. Paul, who was rejected by the Republican Party honestly fought against these disgraceful budgets and deficits. The rest are just liars who get elected by diverting attention to side issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections