Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 05:35 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,284,347 times

Advertisements

Sure--it's the big bad wolf called the DNC establishment.

Like the RNC doesn't try to rig the rules to favor the GOP establishment. This is politics in the USA folks. Love it or leave it.

Lol. Those "Chicks on the Right" (bright bunch that they are) should worry about their own RNC convention and process, rather than critiquing the Dems. Typical bullies--they should check out their own shady back yard.

"...it was increasingly clear that those rule changes — from limiting the number of debates to adjusting how delegates are allocated — had failed to bring to the nominating process the order and speed that party leaders had craved..“You’ve got a set of unintended consequences that weren’t planned for,” said Richard F. Hohlt, a Republican donor and Washington lobbyist. “So it’s going to be harder for a candidate to get to the magic number, which could open up the process to a convention situation.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/us...ican-race.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 06:07 PM

22,197 posts, read 19,487,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Anyone notice how many Republicans are whining about this? Although Bernie supporters have no business complaining about a system that has been used for decades, before many of his supporters were even born, at least I can understand why they might be unhappy with the process. But when I see people who have continually claimed to be Trump or Cruz supporters adamantly insisting that the system is rigged and favors Clinton, it raises a red flag. It must mean they're concerned she'll beat any of their candidates.

I mean, why would I care how the Republicans select their nominee if I do not plan to vote for any of them?

Also, there are some posters here who, no matter what Hillary or Obama says or does will always write something negative. I noticed that when bin Laden was killed or when Iran released U.S. Navy crew members unharmed. No kudos for the Pres Obama, Hillary Clinton or John Kerry in these instances, only criticism.

Regarding the super-delegate count, although I could have figured 10% is 476 and add 1/2 again makes 238 = 714, I grabbed my 40 year old Sharp vx-1138A calculator and got 4763 x 15% = 714.45. Simple math.

By the way, I'm not joking, I still have a calculator I bought after college and I graduated in 1972. Works great!

Good point. I am a Sanders supporter, and I'm not thrilled with the Superdelegate process. With that being said, I actually have an understanding of it, and don't yell rigged because I don't understand it. I also find it interesting it seems like the bulk of the posts on here complaining about it are by Trump supporters, followed not far behind by Cruz supporters.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,774,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Jesus, if they can't figure out what percentage of 712 of 4,763 delegates are, how in the world can we expect them to understand the rules that the Democratic Party established in 1982?
But this fake sympathy for the poor befuddled Ds isn't about arithmetic at all. It takes all of 5 minutes to grok the nominating rules.

No, it's just condescending horse****, and we know that because the people doing the most sobbing and moaning here about the unfair rules would never, in a million years, vote for Sanders.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:32 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,335,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
But this fake sympathy for the poor befuddled Ds isn't about arithmetic at all. It takes all of 5 minutes to grok the nominating rules.

No, it's just condescending horse****, and we know that because the people doing the most sobbing and moaning here about the unfair rules would never, in a million years, vote for Sanders.
Well of course it is one big troll job, but just in case there are folks who are just looking in it is important that the correct information is put out there.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,953,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My daughter lives in Tallahassee. She passed the site every day back and forth to school. The kids enjoyed going down to the Capital and seeing the craziness.

The thing that bothered me was the tv coverage of the "citizen" protest at the courthouse. IIRC, Maiami Dade. Turns out, all those protestors were employees of Congressmen. But it was weeks later before they were identified.
Many times when you see a protest after a shooting or other nationally televised incident, the "local" protesters are bused into town. So I realize it is difficult to take take anyone seriously during a campaign. That's why I wonder about these Town Hall meetings. You really don't know who the people asking the questions are and whom they support.

I mean, remember Joe The Plumber? After he told Obama his plan to raise taxes on people who made $250,000 was going to ruin him, we learned he wasn't a licensed plumber, wasn't even registered to vote in Ohio, never made close to $250,000 a year in his life and even had a tax lien against him. Well, I'm happy for Joe. He finally got decent pay and benefits because he found a union job working in an auto plant.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:35 PM

26,537 posts, read 15,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Hahaha, can't wait for all the Millenials to realize all their phone banking, donations, facebook posting Instagram "Feel the Bern" crap won't amount to anything when these superdelegates toss the old man out on his ear.

Hard lessons will be learned this political season, that is for sure.

Hillary Rodham in 2020, book it.
Bernie should run 3rd party. If the Democrat Elites plan on disenfranchising their voters...why not have a "revolution" within their party. It is already a buzz word in his campaign.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Oh, right, I forgot to include that one in my list of dirty tricks.

I might have questioned it more, but now that they've put out a video which includes giving a wink and a nod to Nevada Republicans to double caucus, it makes the claims that they encouraged people to dissemble on New Hampshire residency in order to vote seem all too plausible.
I admit I wasn't quite sure what you were talking about, but now I understand. A statement that double caucusing will be considered a felony was just released.

[url=http://www.reviewjournal.com/politics/caucuses-2016/nevada-election-officials-watch-caucus-shananigans]Nevada election officials watch for caucus shananigans | Las Vegas Review-Journal[/url]

Old 02-19-2016, 08:45 PM

26,537 posts, read 15,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Jesus, if they can't figure out what percentage of 712 of 4,763 delegates are, how in the world can we expect them to understand the rules that the Democratic Party established in 1982?
How undemocratic of you.

Both parties need to fix their elitist system.

Based on your numbers that is 15% of the super delegates being party elites who are breaking hard for Hillary by a margin of 432 for Hillary to 16 for Bernie at the moment.

Bernie won in a massive landslide in New Hampshire, but as of now he didn't win the delegate battle in that state due to super delegates.

Bernie will essentially have to win a decisive edge over Hillary in the popular votes throughout the primary season to woo some super delegates and overcome the party elites picking Hillary. In a big race that could be close, 96.5% of the Super Delegates breaking for Hillary is a big deal.

Don't be a sheep of these elites. Stand for the people. Both parties pull this BS. In 2008 it was both parties half-disenfranchising the voters in Florida and Michigan due to the state legislature moving the primary up a couple of weeks.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:12 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,339,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I lived in Florida in 2008. I never made it to the polls because of my work schedule, which is one reason I was glad when they began Early Voting in FL, which Gov Rick Scott tried to stop.

Anyway, there's a lot more to what happened in Florida than just the hanging chads and the Penske truck. In Palm Beach County there was that fiasco with the butterfly ballots.

However, except for George W. Bush, almost every POTUS has been elected by popular vote. It is very unlikely that a candidate that has the support of the majority of voters will not be a party's nominee. It would be suicide for the party. For example, as much as the GOP wants Trump to disappear off the face of the Earth, if he is a strong front-runner, he will be the nominee. Right now it's too early to tell. Both of the front-runners are not the party's favorites.

Do I think our political system is corrupt? Of course I do. However, Florida's then Governor was the candidate's brother and Katherine Harris was FL Sec of State who wanted to go to Congress and got her wish in 2002. Lots of stuff going on back then. Maybe that's one reason the GOP doesn't want Obama to nominate a Supreme Court Justice and keep saying they want someone "just like Scalia."
The butterfly ballot? It was designed by 2 or 3 people, of which at least one was a Democrat.

The candidate's brother immediately recused himself when the close results were known. Katherine Harris was doing her job, as she was required to do.

Of course Republicans want someone like Scalia in the Supreme Court. The worst thing that could happen would be another far leftist appointed. Doesn't have anything to do with the 2000, 2004, 2008 or 2012 election results.

Last edited by Fleet; 02-19-2016 at 10:04 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Bernie should run 3rd party. If the Democrat Elites plan on disenfranchising their voters...why not have a "revolution" within their party. It is already a buzz word in his campaign.
No 3rd party candidate has ever won the presidency and Bernie is no fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections