Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 02:50 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times

Advertisements

The Red State crowd has mostly been big Marco Rubio supporters this time around, but have apparently lost heart over the last week and have now sadly observed that Rubio's campaign is effectively over. As a result, they appear to be despondently encouraging Rubio supporters to support Ted Cruz in an effort to stop Donald Trump. Below is an article from Leon Wolf at Red State.

Quote:
Rubio Sacrificed His Campaign to Save America

Moreover, Rubio’s insult comic routine exposed what an ugly, shallow, insincere man Trump is to an electorate that was almost ready to embrace him as inevitable.

Unfortunately, it also seems to have had the effect that it has destroyed Rubio’s chances at obtaining the nomination himself. Many voters who were horrified by Trump’s response were equally horrified by Rubio’s behavior that provoked it. In much the same way that Chris Christie exposed Rubio at a critical point in the campaign, only to see his own personal standing suffer as a result, Rubio has had the same thing happen to him with respect to Donald Trump.

Granted, I don’t think that Rubio had any sort of altruistic motive in doing what he did; I am quite sure he did it with the intent to win. But at the end of the day it had the salutary effect of allowing Cruz to present himself as the adult in the room and I think is quite a bit responsible for the fact that this is now a surprisingly tight race between Trump and Cruz.

For now, if you want to stop Trump, the clear remaining answer is Ted Cruz.
There is more at the link and I have kind of chopped this article up pretty severely to keep the quote short.

Leon may be right that Marco Rubio inadvertently sacrificed himself to take on Donald Trump. However, to be fair, Rubio has not ever really gained sufficient traction with the voters this cycle to be considered a real threat to win the Republican nomination, despite the traction he gained with Republican establishment types, big establishment donors, and the media, especially Fox News.

Anyway, Rubio did perform a valuable service in taking on Trump the way he did during the last debate. If Cruz goes on to win this nomination, he will owe Marco Rubio in a pretty big way. Personally, I have always liked Marco Rubio, although he does not appear to me to be ready to take on the presidency just yet. But if Cruz wanted to offer Rubio the Secretary of State job, I believe Rubio would be a very good fit for that role, unlike Hillary Clinton.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 03-06-2016 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 02:57 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
They couldn't pick a winner so they fall back and pick another loser.
They will suggest you do the same and take no responsibility for your poor decision just as they don't their own. GOP is done. They will not embrace change and mold it to their own principals. They are fixated on the past and unable to move forward to the future as they cling to failure. The king makers are dead !!! Long live the King makers !!!

Old 03-06-2016, 03:10 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
I think Rubio is unfairly taking it in the gut. It had to be done and he was pretty darn effective at it. I hope they find a way to reward him, because I agree, what he has most likely done is paved the way for Cruz or Kasich.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Let me fix that for them:

"Moreover, Rubio’s insult comic routine exposed what an ugly, shallow, insincere man he was."

You all cry and gnash your teeth if Trump insults, but you cradle Rubio like a child if he does it. It just does not get any more pathetic than those with TDS.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:13 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I think Rubio is unfairly taking it in the gut. It had to be done and he was pretty darn effective at it. I hope they find a way to reward him, because I agree, what he has most likely done is paved the way for Cruz or Kasich.
Kasich is in an even weaker position than Rubio. He is not going to be the nominee, unless the Republican establishment decides to fix the nomination at the convention with a view towards destroying the Republican party.

Seriously, can we stop with the Kasich nonsense already?

Old 03-06-2016, 03:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Let me fix that for them:

"Moreover, Rubio’s insult comic routine exposed what an ugly, shallow, insincere man he was."

You all cry and gnash your teeth if Trump insults, but you cradle Rubio like a child if he does it. It just does not get any more pathetic than those with TDS.
There's no way Rubio (or anyone else) would have done that if Trump hadn't come out of the start gate in full obnoxious attack mode. Nothing is too low for him. No insult too personal--he'll say anything.

It is really too bad that Trump has dragged down other candidates to his level, but if they let him mow over them like the bully he is, then they look like saps, e.g., Jeb Bush.

This is exactly what Trump would do in a general election and then to our country--drag it down to disgusting new lows.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:19 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
I think Trump has a better chance in the general election than Cruz. His bible thumping preacher act will turn off a lot of moderates and independents. Just my opinion.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:20 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Kasich is in an even weaker position than Rubio. He is not going to be the nominee, unless the Republican establishment decides to fix the nomination at the convention with a view towards destroying the Republican party.

Seriously, can we stop with the Kasich nonsense already?
if kasich wins ohio, believe me, they will start again.

it is pretty much "an anybody but trump" dogma that drives these people.

and pretty much "a nobody but trump" that drives many of the rest of us.

his style may not be polished, or political, but he is out there swinging, getting knocked down and getting back up.

i didn't hear cruz talk about the border, or rubio for that matter, until trump started.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:21 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
There's no way Rubio (or anyone else) would have done that if Trump hadn't come out of the start gate in full obnoxious attack mode. Nothing is too low for him. No insult too personal--he'll say anything.

It is really too bad that Trump has dragged down other candidates to his level, but if they let him mow over them like the bully he is, then they look like saps, e.g., Jeb Bush.

This is exactly what Trump would do in a general election and then to our country--drag it down to disgusting new lows.
And it should also be noted that it looks like many of Rubios supporters did NOT approve of this type behavior as his number have been going down.
Trump supporters love this type mud-slinging.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The Red State crowd has mostly been big Marco Rubio supporters this time around, but have apparently lost heart over the last week and have now sadly observed that Rubio's campaign is effectively over. As a result, they appear to be despondently encouraging Rubio supporters to support Ted Cruz in an effort to stop Donald Trump. Below is an article from Leon Wolf at Red State.

There is more at the link and I have kind of chopped this article up pretty severely to keep the quote short.

Leon may be right that Marco Rubio inadvertently sacrificed himself to take on Donald Trump. However, to be fair, Rubio has not ever really gained sufficient traction with the voters this cycle to be considered a real threat to win the Republican nomination, despite the traction he gained with Republican establishment types, big establishment donors, and the media, especially Fox News.

Anyway, Rubio did perform a valuable service in taking on Trump the way he did during the last debate. If Cruz goes on to win this nomination, he will owe Marco Rubio in a pretty big way. Personally, I have always liked Marco Rubio, although he does not appear to me to be ready to take on the presidency just yet. But if Cruz wanted to offer Rubio the Secretary of State job, I believe Rubio would be a very good fit for that role, unlike Hillary Clinton.
Rubio is a neocon (aka a leftist, Rockefeller republican). He is thoroughly controlled by globalists, and is equally as ready to promote wars and police state as Hillary is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections