Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 11:42 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In unusually candid remarks, President Obama privately told a group of Democratic donors last Friday that Senator Bernie Sanders is nearing the point where his campaign against Hillary Clinton will come to an end, and that the party must soon come together to back her.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/18/us...imes&smtyp=cur

He didn't come right out and endorse her

Quote:
But, while he stressed that he was not endorsing either candidate, and that both would make good presidents, Mr. Obama went on to lavish praise on Mrs. Clinton, describing her as smart, tough and experienced, and said that she would continue the work of his administration. Mr. Sanders has very publicly criticized Mr. Obama on certain policies and has called for a “political revolution.”
I think the pressure on Bernie will increase from here - not specifically to concede defeat and suspend his campaign, but to focus on his own message and stop going negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 12:08 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

It would be bad form for him to endorse her before Bern bails.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:08 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,977,970 times
Quote:

I think the pressure on Bernie will increase from here - not specifically to concede defeat and suspend his campaign, but to focus on his own message and stop going negative.
Well I hope he or his aides would help Hillary increase her turnout in upcoming caucuses, especially Washington and Utah which Hillary is having trouble...

Old 03-17-2016, 12:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,730,980 times
One Criminal supporting another. How quaint.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:13 PM

189 posts, read 361,963 times
Does anyone care what he tells them to do? I don't.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,633,198 times
Tell me. Did he say it with clenched lips and dramatic pause or was he just laughing?

Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 PM

3,857 posts, read 1,794,978 times
Quote:

Can you accept Bernie is staying in until the very end? He will be going until the Democratic convention.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It would be bad form for him to endorse her before Bern bails.
I agree, I think a sitting president should not endorse in a primary. But he's walked right up to the line more than once now and it's clear she has his support (not to mention some of his campaign staff, fund raisers, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Well I hope he or his aides would help Hillary increase her turnout in upcoming caucuses, especially Washington and Utah which Hillary is having trouble...
I don't think they are sweating the caucuses too much. There is a limited amount they can do anyway, because the nature of a caucus is so limited on who can attend. I live in a neighborhood with many, many families with young kids and only 2 of my neighbors were able to make it to our caucus. Doesn't mean people don't have an opinion but they just don't have the ability to devote 3 hours of time to caucusing, which is just about what it took once you factor in having to get there early and find parking, since attendance was high. The people who can attend a caucus tend to be a closer fit to Bernie's demographics. But there are no caucuses in November, so it's not a longer term concern.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:19 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,167,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
One Criminal supporting another. How quaint.

Basically our President is saying more money and power will solve our problems - politics the American way!

Old 03-17-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Can you accept Bernie is staying in until the very end? He will be going until the Democratic convention.
As I said, he is not being pressured to withdraw from the race. But I believe he will get pressure to stop going negative. He's not going to win the nomination based on the mathematical realities and he has previously stated he would support Hillary if he didn't win. So he should stop giving the Republicans any ammunition that would weaken her chances in the general election. He risks marginalizing himself within the Democratic party if he doesn't - and regardless of whether he is a Democrat or an Independent, he is still a part of the Democratic party in terms of his role in the Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections