Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 10:22 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,937,453 times

Advertisements

"ERE I am"

Old 03-20-2016, 10:27 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,694,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
"ERE I am"
Well, even though we may have our differences politically, anybody from Caribou, Maine is all right in my book and got to be cool. I looked it up and it's a really neat place. I can see where your values come from.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:38 PM

37,825 posts, read 41,155,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
A lot of the immigrants that are coming to NYC and LA are wealthy, not poor. They come here as investors/business owners.
If they are coming here legally, no problem.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:41 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,694,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If they are coming here legally, no problem.
What if those investors are followers of Islam?

Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,937,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What if those investors are followers of Islam?
Rule of law, baby. Rule of law.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:32 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,460,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I agree. I think the problem is that our immigration laws need to be changed so that more people can immigrate here legally.
We already allow 1 million legal immigrants a year, even when Americans are unemployed.

That is more than enough -- in fact, it's too much.

We should stop legal immigration until all work-capable U.S. citizens are fully employed and making a living wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Save your self-righteous "my family came here legally" BS. Your family didn't come here "legally" a 100 years ago because there wasn't such a thing as a "legal" immigrant.
Wrong.

Quote:
Immigrants just got off the boats in NY or Boston or Halifax. If they were healthy, they were allowed in. If they weren't, they got sent back to Europe.
In other words, they went through a legal process and many were rejected.

Do you even listen to yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Who is going to pick up the tab for welfare payments once whites die off?
Good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
So all those white men on social security disability who pull in $1k +/month tax free are going to go work for low paying jobs?
How could they do that, being disabled?

Or do you think they are not disabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Because it's not at all true. More people earning good wages means more demand for goods and services and thus more demand for labor.
That's true, but you have to have jobs for them in the first place.

We don't even have enough jobs for U.S. citizens.

Your argument is the same as expecting chickens when there are no eggs.

Quote:
Immigration would only be a problem if we didn't have the space to accommodate them. We do and then some. The US can handle another 100 million people easily. Let them in.
No, keep them out.

We get more than our fair share in Southern California -- as a result, we've had a water crisis, high housing prices, traffic jams, etc.

If you want to send them to Alaska, that's a different story.

But I have a feeling the Alaskans aren't going to want them either.

And I have an even stronger feeling that most of the immigrants would change their minds about immigrating if Alaska was their only option.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:47 AM

15,572 posts, read 10,584,080 times
Quote:
I'm white but come from an immigrant family from NYC. So not really America. lol

For me, Trump's popularity is not a surprise at all and I believe it has one major driving force. The significant and fairly sudden and ongoing demographic change in the US.

The non-Hispanic white population is projected to be 44% by 2060. Contrast this to being 76% in 1990 and around 62% currently. The "minority" population will be 57% by 2060 so whites will actually become the minority.

For the under 18 year-old cohort, white non-Hispanic will only number 36%, while "minorities" will come in at 65%.

I think that traditional white America is starting to really feel these changes but can't exactly put their finger on it.
As far as illegals go, I think the one driving force is money, followed up by all the hassle. If you live in a border state, you more than likely already have Hispanic friends and perhaps even family. I suppose if you lived in a state without Hispanics it could be a big deal, but for millions of us it isn't. The monetary strain is what's choking me, it costs me thousands in property taxes every year. With each wave, the services get strained and stretched, talk about a pain.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 AM

15,680 posts, read 10,467,998 times
Quote:
Come to NYC. English is optional and as a city we're doing great.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/ny...s-70.html?_r=0

Doing great?

85 percent of Asian students graduated from high school in NYC
82 percent of whites
65.4 percent of black students graduated
64 percent of Hispanic students graduated.

1 out of 3 minority students don't even graduate from high school in NYC. How is that great for the future of the city?

How do minorities, the fastest growing segment in the country, compete or improve this country if they aren't even high school grads? How do Americans communicate with each other for work if they do not speak English as a common language?

The white population of the US is shrinking and the minority population is growing. The country is averaging down in educated citizens and splitting into culturally isolated communities. I don't see it as a good thing, but the identity politics proponents celebrate.

Se la vie.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 AM

13,658 posts, read 10,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
We already allow 1 million legal immigrants a year, even when Americans are unemployed.

That is more than enough -- in fact, it's too much.

We should stop legal immigration until all work-capable U.S. citizens are fully employed and making a living wage.

Wrong.

In other words, they went through a legal process and many were rejected.

Do you even listen to yourself?

Good question.

How could they do that, being disabled?

Or do you think they are not disabled?

That's true, but you have to have jobs for them in the first place.

We don't even have enough jobs for U.S. citizens.

Your argument is the same as expecting chickens when there are no eggs.

No, keep them out.

We get more than our fair share in Southern California -- as a result, we've had a water crisis, high housing prices, traffic jams, etc.

If you want to send them to Alaska, that's a different story.

But I have a feeling the Alaskans aren't going to want them either.

And I have an even stronger feeling that most of the immigrants would change their minds about immigrating if Alaska was their only option.
Oh don't be ridiculous.

Many many immigrants start businesses, not take jobs. They start with more capital than their American counterparts, they work just as hard if not much harder, and they contribute a great deal to the economy.

There no reason why Americans can't do the same.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,977,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Traditional white America is a racist, misogynistic, fat blowhard with a bad haircut who abuses credit?

Ok.
Yes, yes it is and we need to be more like Zimbabwe, Venezuela or even Cuba where they have free education and excellent health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections