Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,778,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
It's not the skin color, but the standards of living and values. Mexico is a third world country and America is first world. More immigration from Mexico has been dragging us down to lower standards of living. Same with immigrants from Syria.

No, it's not skin color. It's a cocktail of genetic, historical and cultural influences that make one group of people different from another.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,930,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The NYC restaurant industry is run on the back of illegals. So is much of the non-union residential construction industry. It's not even a secret. You don't see New Yorkers protesting in the streets about it. lol
I'm guessing because most real Americans of ANY "race" have LEFT NYC, I don't know.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:30 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,778,243 times
Quote:
Income inequality is not as a result of immigrants who command lower wages.
An oversupply of labor leads to lower wages. That's economics 101.

Quote:
Our problem with income inequality is political.There is no mass political will to have a more equitable society.
What good is equality if everyone is poor?

Old 03-19-2016, 09:31 PM

22,507 posts, read 12,052,280 times
Quote:
Immigration whether legal or illegal is the same thing as far as I'm concerned. If someone has the balls to come here illegally and work menial jobs because they don't have the proper paperwork than more power to them.
You see nothing wrong with breaking the law? Illegal immigration is a slap in the face to legal immigrants---you know, the people who obeyed our immigration laws and patiently awaited their turn to come here. Those "menial jobs" you mention, Americans are doing them still. Many more would gladly do them but they've been displaced and had their wages depressed due to illegal immigration.

I know this will surprise you --- but many restaurants in NYC don't just have illegals working in the back of the house in restaurants. There are chain restaurants conglomerates that use E-verify and have no problems finding Americans and legal immigrants to take those jobs.

Quote:
If China can house 1.5 billion people, we can accommodate a whole lot more than 330 million.
Have you ever been to the flyover states? My fiancée is from Kansas City. There ain't nothing there my friend except for corn fields and cheap land.

I'd take 5 million young Chinese and plop them down in the Midwest. lol 20 years on we'd be a hell of a lot better off.
I see you don't understand many things. That empty land in the Midwest is either used as farmland or is not buildable. We do need farms in order to feed our population. Are you proposing that we get rid of all our farmland?

Just because there are wide swaths of empty land doesn't mean it's buildable. All that desert you see isn't buildable because there is no source of water. Those lone houses you see in the desert---they have to have their drinking water trucked to them.

You really need to do a lot of research on these issues.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,930,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
No, it's not skin color. It's a cocktail of genetic, historical and cultural influences that make one group of people different from another.
Agreed tho bad genes for alcoholism and diabetes many times CAN be ducked by not drinking and by eating the right foods, which DOES lead into different cultures and cultures many times WILL change.

The Irish come to mind: most of them today are decent people who are sober. 100 years ago ago we did had a real bad rep. WE had to step up and change our bad ways which meant cutting down or not drink at all and so on.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 PM

184 posts, read 135,852 times
Trump- THe last , dying breath of traditional white America

yup he certainly is.......

Old 03-19-2016, 09:36 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,318,664 times
I'm all for immigrants that contribute, can speak the language, are educated and non-violent. They should be allowed an easy path to citizenship if they have a degree, can speak the language, etc. Instant citizenship if they can prove they are not violent and here to contribute. What I'm not for is bringing shiploads of syrian refugees here and just letting them "disappear" .. or worse, putting them in subsidized housing and giving them welfare, increasing crime, housing costs for the working class, and our national debt.. nothing good comes from it.

Chinese people come here, start great buffets that you can get delicious MSG laden food from, bust their ass off (the ones here in town work 12 hour days, 6 days a week) and are non violent members of the community.

Meanwhile the ghetto trash, which many people don't seem to realize even exists as they are sheltered from these neighborhoods... get handouts, commit violent crimes, do tons of drugs, get a slap on the wrist and are often released, as liberals instead scream about how it's the gun's fault, and how we need to ban guns instead of just send these people to army boot camp where they can be set straight. I will say I don't think the prison industrial complex and the war on drugs are good for people. Prison just turns them into hard criminals. Some sort of boot camp would be a better solution. The left seems to intentionally or unintentionally condone or impower hood rats and blacks in general to remain poor, helpless victims instead of encouraging them to better themselves and move up the ladder. The fact they would vote en mass, 95% for Hillary Clinton and democrats shows how out of touch and dependent on the state they are.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-19-2016 at 09:44 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 09:37 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,363,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
An oversupply of labor leads to lower wages. That's economics 101.

What good is equality if everyone is poor?
Not necessarily since wages and capital/labor relations are politically dictated to a large extent.

The distribution of profits within the economy is more so a political issue.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:39 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,749,005 times
Quote:
I'm white but come from an immigrant family from NYC. So not really America. lol

For me, Trump's popularity is not a surprise at all and I believe it has one major driving force. The significant and fairly sudden and ongoing demographic change in the US.

The non-Hispanic white population is projected to be 44% by 2060. Contrast this to being 76% in 1990 and around 62% currently. The "minority" population will be 57% by 2060 so whites will actually become the minority.

For the under 18 year-old cohort, white non-Hispanic will only number 36%, while "minorities" will come in at 65%.

I think that traditional white America is starting to really feel these changes but can't exactly put their finger on it.

Oh definitely.
They are in the death throes. "sudden violent movements that people sometimes make when they are dying."
And we're witnessing the "bottom rung" of those who are threatened by the inevitable changes in this country and in the world and their reactions are overt and crude. This is what trump is so masterfully exploiting and he's doing it intentionally and consciously.
Big pharma, Big ag, Wall Street, Big Banks and the fossil fuel industry in particular are also seeing that the end of their "rule" is inevitable. The way that they are reacting is much more covert and sly and intelligent. Much more difficult to suss out / define and combat.
Bernie Sanders sees it. And wants to combat it. That those who are not in positions of power and are threatened by the changes to come are stubbornly holding out instead of realizing that it is he who will best serve the interests of the people as the country necessarily goes through these major and inevitable changes.
Transform or die. Open and become flexible and go with the flow or suffer the consequences of resisting change. And that change is potentially very positive. One world, One love.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:40 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,560,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We need a little break from the heaviness of this election. How about a little humor:

Don
Seriously, I'm beginning to feel burned out from all of this. I wish I could go into a coma until the day after the elections and just deal with whatever the outcome is. I have enough strife in my life as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.