Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:05 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The Leeches haven't yet figured out that when the Rs and Ds decide there are enough immigrants here to keep wages suppressed for a generation, their welfare will mysteriously disappear.
Not only the leeches but those voters who haven't figured any of this out yet. Hopefully, some will wake up and smell the coffee. As for others---they prefer to remain willfully ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:36 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,340,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
With all due respect, polls that show Sanders ahead of the GOP candidates are meaningless, because the GOP has spent virtually zero resources attacking him.
Yeah, right. Please tell us how well those SuperPac attack ads are doing stopping Trump or how well the ads attacking Hillary are doing stopping her. Attack ads are whats meaningless, people dont care or even pay attention to them. Sanders would crush Trump worse than Hillary as every poll show.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Sorry, the religious nuts only make up a small percentage of the base.

The rest of us are being tossed away.

I've talked to many lifelong Republicans who subscribe to NeverRepublican if they run someone like Ryan at the convention.

They're willing to destroy the Party for 4 to 8 more years of gravy train via the Clintonista Elite.
boy are you off base: why would you even bring u religious nuts? They are not what we are discussing. As for your talking to a lot of Republicans, we are all upset right now, I don't care whether you love hate Trump. We didn't see this coming. No one regardless of the party affiliation saw it. It is easy to say: I will never vote for such and such, but when it gets down to it, we fold.

Let me add: those who I have spoken with would disagree with you and only a small majority would be considered religious nuts. some are not even religious.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Losing control of the House & Senate really isn't that huge of a deal to me. As long as the GOP has at least 41 Senators, the Democrats will not be able to pass any piece of far-left legislation (a la Obamacare). (And even in the worst-case scenario, the GOP will lose no more than ten Senate seats.) Furthermore, the GOP should be able to regain full control of Congress in the 2018 elections. But what is most important is the presidency, because without that, the GOP cannot control the agenda. (That is why Congressional majorities by themselves are largely meaningless.)

Even losing control of the Supreme Court is not that is all that it is cracked up to be, given that the conservatives never really had a majority of justices in the first place. The fact of the matter is that both Anthony Kennedy and (especially) John Roberts are turncoats, who have abandoned the conservative cause on the biggest cases of the day (like gay marriage and Obamacare). And if Trump ever did become president, I would have zero confidence that he would appoint a committed conservative to the Supreme Court (especially when you consider the fact that even Reagan and both Bushes screwed up with some of their choices).
You be serious about the supreme court. Please say you are not serious. Yes, Bush particularly screwed and this can happen. We don't always get what it looks like we are, but OMG, do you have any clue what would happen if the libs start appointing the court? There are 2 or 3 justices that could retire in the next couple of years. I do agree with you on Trump and that is just one of many things that scares the holy heck out of me.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:58 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
boy are you off base: why would you even bring u religious nuts? They are not what we are discussing. As for your talking to a lot of Republicans, we are all upset right now, I don't care whether you love hate Trump. We didn't see this coming. No one regardless of the party affiliation saw it. It is easy to say: I will never vote for such and such, but when it gets down to it, we fold.

Let me add: those who I have spoken with would disagree with you and only a small majority would be considered religious nuts. some are not even religious.
What, exactly, is "off base"? It's true---the republicans are willing to ruin their party and give the election to Hillary so that both parties can continue to feed from the trough.

And, no, if Trump doesn't get the nomination, I won't "fold" and vote republican. I will vote third party.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:51 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
There is never enough time for libs. Yes, Obama's mess will take a while to "clean up". The answer is not a corrupt politician who has been purchased by Wall Street.
Funny, considering that Obama had to spend a considerable amount of time cleaning up Bush's mess. Remember how the economy was losing jobs by the hundreds of thousands before W. left office?

Were you asleep during that time?[/quote]

Yes- I remember.

I recall A Lincoln saving the Union in five years. Obama has had nothing but disasters in eight years.

I recall FDR bringing the nation from depression to victory in ww2 in four years. Obama has presided over the expansion of ISIS, chaos in Iraq, Syria, and Libya and fortunately a military coup in Egypt. China and Russia are on the march, ISIS in Europe, and we have open borders.

I remember when Reagan took the horrible economy of Jimmy Carter and turned it into the best economy of the 20th century. Eight years later, we are still waiting for the spectacular economy of Obama, in which we have seen the lowest work force participation rate in 50 years, falling incomes, and the highest poverty rates since the early 1960s.

I remember when George Bush inherited a recession and a dot com bubble stock market drubbing and turned it around in two years.

The liberals will ALWAYS make excuses for Obama. If Obama had 100 years, he could not bring prosperity to the US, as he has flawed policies and is unable to alter his political agenda, despite repeated failures.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:26 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times
Quote:
The Democrats will be playing this identity politics game for as long as it works for them.....As much as conservatives (understandably) don't want to hear this, the GOP's best bet to recapture the WH is to start playing the identity politics game as well.....I wish that people wouldn't care about things like race and ethnicity when choosing their POTUS, but the evidence sadly indicates that this is not the case. The GOP needs to face this reality if they are to recapture the WH.
The trouble with this analysis is that the country doesn't even notice your non-white race or non-male gender unless you are a liberal or a leftist.

If you're a non-white conservative or a female conservative, you are just as "white" and "male" to the electorate (and especially the lying liberal media) as the Pilgrim Fathers.

Quote:
It's clear to me the R's made a deal with Obama in 2012 - they'd let him have a 2nd term so long as he furthered their agenda to import low-cost labor and take the heat for it, while the R's could pretend that they opposed him. There's no other way to explain their actions over the last 4 years, especially the Ryan budget. It also explains Romney's ineffectual campaign.
Cynical, but oh so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Well, why not . . . . Ashkenazi Jews, Asians and gays have the highest IQ's . . . something we can surely use.
But not one of those is running for president -- or is even on the horizon as a candidate -- with the exception of Bernie Sanders, a Jew.

Quote:
Latinos and Native Americans? There ought to be a POTUS sooner or later if they are given fair chance . . . though that could be 4 years from now or 150 years from now . . . . .
Why should Latinos go to the front of the line ahead of Jews, women and homosexuals?

Do women and gays have another country on our border where they can go and fix things up so that they don't have to immigrate here?

What about Native Americans, whose ancestors are from north of the border?

Shouldn't they be first in line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Trump vs Hillary is the establishment's nightmare. To have an outsider beat the establishment's candidate could destroy the establishment in both parties. That reason alone is why we should vote for Trump, and watch both parties burn, and be reborn.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Funny, considering that Obama had to spend a considerable amount of time cleaning up Bush's mess. Remember how the economy was losing jobs by the hundreds of thousands before W. left office?

Were you asleep during that time?
It was the Democrats who created that mess.

In 1999, Bill Clinton's HUD Secretary Andrew Cuomo ordered Fannie and Freddy to buy $2.4 trillion in sub-prime mortgages over the next ten years in order to provide low and moderate income housing for 28.1 million Americans.

The Republicans didn't do enough to stop the nonsense -- which eventually caused the Great Recession of 2008 -- but it is the DEMOCRATS who created that crisis.

And Obama himself worked as a lawyer for ACORN -- which was intimately involved in "race-guilting" banks into making bad loans.

Last edited by dechatelet; 03-29-2016 at 04:35 AM..

Old 03-29-2016, 05:08 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

What about the poor Jews, Asians and gays?
If George Takei (you know ... Mr. Sulu on Star Trek) wins the presidency we will have our first gay Asian Buddhist president.

Cool!

Or if Ellen DeGeneres decides to run ... our first lesbian!

Too bad actress Nell Carter is deceased ... she would have been the first president who was Black, Lesbian, and Jewish all at the same time!!!

Old 03-29-2016, 08:50 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
I have pretty much made peace with the fact that the Democrats will likely sweep the board in November, the real question is how bad will the defeat be. At this point I think it's likely the Democrats will keep the White House and retake the Senate, the House is 50/50 ... it was more or less a given that we would lose about a dozen seats regardless of who the nominee was but if it's Trump or Cruz there is the potential that things could go into the mid-high twenty's and endanger the House majority.

I think that going forward the party needs to become more of a center-right party rather than a right wing party. We should focus more on economics and less on social conservatism, we need to make peace with the nation's changing demographics and social values. We need to accept that the 62% non-Hispanic White United States of today is not the 88% non-Hispanic White United States that elected Reagan.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:17 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Y'all missed one when we went down Memory Lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections