Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:02 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. Trump didn't start the discussion with the presumption of abortion being illegal. That was Chris Matthews' position. Why does Chris Matthews want abortion to be illegal?

No the question didn't originate with Trump why would it. He was asked for his stance on women's rights, he should have expected a follow on question this is nothing new. Well if you're pro-life are you not proposing a change in the law?

Quote:
QUESTION: Hello. I am (inaudible) and have a question on, what is your stance on women’s rights and their rights to choose in their own reproductive health?
TRUMP: OK, well look, I mean, as you know, I’m pro-life. Right, I think you know that, and I -- with exceptions, with the three exceptions. But pretty much, that’s my stance. Is that OK? You understand?

Entire transcript is around half way down:

Bustle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 11:04 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Because Bernie and Hillary aren't going around saying abortion should be 'banned' which then got into the whole question of illegality.

he didn't go around making that statement? He was being interviewed and he was asked...
If Abortion were illegal would you....and so forth...

How would you answer it, spot on....

If they made anything illegal, I would adhere to it, rather then be arrested and go to jail...even if I wanted an abortion....

Old 03-31-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No the question didn't originate with Trump why would it. He was asked for his stance on women's rights, he should have expected a follow on question this is nothing new. Well if you're pro-life are you not proposing a change in the law?

Entire transcript is around half way down:

Bustle
He was not asked for his stance on women's rights....

He was asked, "If Abortion were illegal, would you hold the woman punishable", and he answered yes.

see, this is exactly what the media wants to do...without truly knowing the whole story, they tried to make it look like he was infringing on women's rights....
They showed only half the question....and not one of them showed, what they asked from the very start.....

Agenda much?

and unfortunately people as yourself, believe it, and never ask questions!

When people learn not to believe everything they are shown, maybe this world will be a lot better place.

Why do you think the media was only showing half videos when perps got shot by cops....AGENDA!

Old 03-31-2016, 11:08 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
And how did Trump answer that question?

Oh, that's right IT WASN'T ASKED.

According to that posted transcript, here's the closest the dicussion gets to talking about changing the law"

"MATTHEWS: You tell me what the law should be.

TRUMP: I have -- I have not determined..."

That said, Chris Matthews was the one presuming abortion was illegal, NOT Trump. Why does Chris Matthews want abortion to be illegal?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:

According to that posted transcript, here's the closest the dicussion gets to talking about changing the law"

That said, Chris Matthews was the one presuming abortion was illegal, NOT Trump. Why does Chris Matthews want abortion to be illegal?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
He was not asked for his stance on women's rights....

He was asked, "If Abortion were illegal, would you hold the woman punishable", and he answered yes.

see, this is exactly what the media wants to do...without truly knowing the whole story, they tried to make it look like he was infringing on women's rights....
They showed only half the question....and not one of them showed, what they asked from the very start.....

Agenda much?

and unfortunately people as yourself, believe it, and never ask questions!

When people learn not to believe everything they are shown, maybe this world will be a lot better place.

Why do you think the media was only showing half videos when perps got shot by cops....AGENDA!
He was asked for his position on women's rights and their own reproductive health, he indicated he was pro-life. Do you think the follow up question was unfair, this same issue has been brought up many times with other candidates.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:52 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If we fail to punish the women, then we fall into the same trap as we have with drugs and illegal immigration: attacking only the supply side of the problem. We see how well that has worked. Unless demand can be stopped, there will always, always be plentiful supply. Like drug dealers and employers of illegals, there will always be places and people who will perform abortions.
This is off topic, but you have a poor understanding of drugs and illegal employment. The problem is that we ONLY punish the person. The war on drugs has failed because we are putting people in jail for petty pot posession, and the illegal imigration problem could be ended if politicians were brave enough to lock up high level execs of the companies that employ the illegals. The problem is we are giving them (the employer) a nearly free pass, and wasting time with individuals who have nothing to loose.

As it applies to this topic, first and foremost, SCOTUS has already ruled in favor of a woman's right to choose, but if (and it won't) that were to be overturned, then all violators should be accountable, not just women, not just doctors. (I am very much PRO CHOICE, just debating the subject in good faith.)

Old 03-31-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:

there was more to the discussion

Quote:
MATTHEWS: I know, what should the law -- I know your principle, that’s a good value. But what should be the law?
TRUMP: Well, you know, they’ve set the law and frankly the judges -- I mean, you’re going to have a very big election coming up for that reason, because you have judges where it’s a real tipping point.
MATTHEWS: I know.
TRUMP: And with the loss the Scalia, who was a very strong conservative...
So we are to believe that he doesn't believe the law should be changed because Matthews raised the issue, why is he even bringing up the supreme court.

A pro-life conservative person that doesn't want the law changed?

Last edited by Goodnight; 03-31-2016 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-31-2016, 11:54 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
Why have other candidates been let off the hook on this issue? Ted Cruz, if he had his druthers, would allow every insurance company in the U.S. to drop birth control, would ban the morning-after pill, and would give pharmacists the option to deny birth control to patients. And Marco Rubio would force a woman or girl who's been the victim of rape or incest to carry the pregnancy to term, as well as force a woman to give birth if it would kill her. Aren't those punishments too? And much harsher than a fine!

Old 03-31-2016, 12:09 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Why have other candidates been let off the hook on this issue? Ted Cruz, if he had his druthers, would allow every insurance company in the U.S. to drop birth control, would ban the morning-after pill, and would give pharmacists the option to deny birth control to patients. And Marco Rubio would force a woman or girl who's been the victim of rape or incest to carry the pregnancy to term, as well as force a woman to give birth if it would kill her. Aren't those punishments too? And much harsher than a fine!
Nice post..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections