Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 AM

326 posts, read 673,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm going to have to second this. She has bullied her way into creating the biggest threat to European stability since WWII, and one we can't protect you from. Watching what has happened in Europe, thanks to her, is no small part of the reason people are seriously considering voting a buffoon in as our president. If Trump wins Merkel is part of the blame.
Wow, I am surprised. A moderator going seriously off topic. What does my being from Germany have to do with anything here? I have posted my questions in the "elections" thread and was obviously referring to the U.S: Presidential primaries. If you want to discuss Merkel, why not do that in a separate topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe there haven't been many answers because the questions are worded strangely or maybe many of us have more important issues on our minds?
Oh, I am sure lot's of people have more important things on their minds but seeing how busy this part of the forum is discussing the various candidates, I do think the topic is relevant.

How are the questions worded strangely? I will gladly rephrase them if you let me know what parts are unclear.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,017,072 times
I think where a candidates stands on' taxes' is probably one of the first questions that I would ask, simply because taxes generally determine on just what will or will not be publicly funded. Taxes revolve around everything for the most part--discretionary spending, public projects, entitlements etc. It also determines basically who or what creates the jobs and how many jobs can even be created

My other interest would probably be in a candidate's position on foreign diplomacy because it really is the stage for our economy.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,340,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
Oh, I am sure lot's of people have more important things on their minds but seeing how busy this part of the forum is discussing the various candidates, I do think the topic is relevant.

How are the questions worded strangely? I will gladly rephrase them if you let me know what parts are unclear.
The questions were not worded strangely and, in and of themselves, are OK.

Where you may be missing the point is assuming that people even give why they're voting for someone a 2nd thought. In the US, it wouldn't surprise me if 70-80% of voters select a candidate based solely on party affiliation.

For the minority of voters who remain, they may not have considered the questions you asked. Maybe they vote solely based on abortion or gay marriage or gun control or climate change or Palestine vs. Israel stance or illegal immigration stance or they may just choose who seems to be the nicest person.

There is very little rhyme or reason behind who someone supports.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:03 PM

20,128 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Quote:
Wow, I am surprised. A moderator going seriously off topic. What does my being from Germany have to do with anything here? I have posted my questions in the "elections" thread and was obviously referring to the U.S: Presidential primaries. If you want to discuss Merkel, why not do that in a separate topic?
I'm not "going seriously off topic". I'm saying the events in your country have impacted the decision making of voters in this country, and that particular issue is part of the driving force behind one of our leading candidates, one with according to you extreme views. It is such an impact that voters are willing to ignore just about every other issue the candidate brings up at any level, let alone 50% level. The illegal immigration/Middle East refugee situation concern people enough that they don't care whether that candidate will represent them or their country in a mature, respectful and intelligent way both at home and abroad. They also don't care what your leader thinks about our future president because they feel she has made a mess of it in your country, so they have no respect for her opinion. Basically, they don't want to see someone like her here.

Elections, by the way, are elections.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:40 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,336,722 times
Quote:
I'm kinda surprised that nobody has responded to this. I still think the questions are a simple and effective way of determining how suitable a candidate may be. Perhaps my suggestion is not confrontational enough and doesn't lend itself to the usual partisan bickering....
You posed questions that folks should ask themselves, you didn't ask them to answer the questions here.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
You posed questions that folks should ask themselves, you didn't ask them to answer the questions here.
Well, I did say this in my original poste:

Do you think those simple questions are relevant and useful? How would you answer them? Will your answers affect how you are likely going to vote?

Old 04-10-2016, 02:19 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,984,831 times
Quote:
How are the questions worded strangely?
For starters, this combination of paragraphs:

"2. When I take away 50% of all campaign promises/demands made by any given candidate, which candidate looks more reasonable and realistic?

"What I mean by this is that even if you think (for example) that a minimum wage of 15 bucks is not realistic, how about 10 or 12 dollars an hour? If you think free college for all is not achievable, how about much more affordable college education for all? You get the idea. Similar tests can be applied to the more "radical" Republican positions."

Which 50%? A random selection? And if so, have you really changed the outcome of "reasonable and realistic" until you begin to whittle away even more campaign promises/demands?

Moreover, after you've "take(n) away" that selection--random or not--why do you follow up with compromised results on whole-value subject campaign promises/demands as examples?

Quote:
1. Do I trust this Presidential candidate to represent me and my country in a mature, respectful and intelligent way both at home and abroad?
Do you think any of them are not? None of them got to their current stations in life by being inept, crass, unmannered buffoons.

Last edited by mm4; 04-10-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 03:25 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
How about this for a quick and easy test / reality check:

1. Do I trust this Presidential candidate to represent me and my country in a mature, respectful and intelligent way both at home and abroad?
Policy represents our country. It doesn't represent the individual

Quote:
2. When I take away 50% of all campaign promises/demands made by any given candidate, which candidate looks more reasonable and realistic?
Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
What I mean by this is that even if you think (for example) that a minimum wage of 15 bucks is not realistic, how about 10 or 12 dollars an hour? If you think free college for all is not achievable, how about much more affordable college education for all? You get the idea. Similar tests can be applied to the more "radical" Republican positions.
So go by what YOU think is just while ignoring the rights of the individual

Quote:
Do you think those simple questions are relevant and useful?
No
Quote:
How would you answer them?
I just did

Quote:
Will your answers affect how you are likely going to vote?
No and your OP is silly.
It's always about policy.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:55 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,340,517 times
Quote:
Well, I did say this in my original poste:

Do you think those simple questions are relevant and useful? How would you answer them? Will your answers affect how you are likely going to vote?

Here is my answer:

Your questions are, for the most part, relevant and useful enough though my approach to deciding which candidate support involved a different analysis.

When applying my two feedback to your two initial questions:

1) Yes
2) Cruz

For me, it's more an issue of whether a candidate represents the individual or the State, as I view it as somewhat of a zero-sum game. In that light, I really liked Rand Paul early on in the process and now think Cruz is the best candidate by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections