Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 04:32 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Doubtful. California has the nation's largest number of Latinos who are eligible to vote. California also has a large number of blacks. Two populations that are favorable to Hillary. A "blowout" favoring Sanders is extremely unlikely.
California has the same share of blacks as Minnesota and Wisconsin. This isnt the 1970s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 04:33 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Doubtful. California has the nation's largest number of Latinos who are eligible to vote. California also has a large number of blacks. Two populations that are favorable to Hillary. A "blowout" favoring Sanders is extremely unlikely.
It might possibly be a blowout of 55-45% or 60-40% in favor of Bernie (anything is possible), but it is not going to be 75-25% that Bernie needs to win the nomination. Not possible. However, his supporters can tout that he won California. . .

Mick

Old 05-11-2016, 04:34 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Completely meaningless primary of course, there is zero reason for Sanders supporters to vote but not surprising seeing you support blatantly lying about who won the state. Your partisan attitude is hilarious.
I didn't say she "won the state". I have repeatedly said Bernie won the caucus and won the majority of delegates. However, if it makes you feel better to accuse me of lying while you are the one misrepresenting what I've said, I guess I can't stop you.

But that won't stop me from repeating the FACT that Bernie lost the primary in a state where he won the caucus. BTW, there are no caucuses in the general election.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:37 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the point is that pledged delegates are awarded by population, not number of states. Its more akin to the electoral college and there for, Clinton having won the larger states has a delegate lead, and the number of states won have nothing to do with who wins the primary.
Nope. GA has bigger population than NC, but less delegates. Michigan has far more delegates but has less population than either state. So point proved wrong.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:38 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I didn't say she "won the state". I have repeatedly said Bernie won the caucus and won the majority of delegates. However, if it makes you feel better to accuse me of lying while you are the one misrepresenting what I've said, I guess I can't stop you.

But that won't stop me from repeating the FACT that Bernie lost the primary in a state where he won the caucus. BTW, there are no caucuses in the general election.
He won Nebraska! End of discussion. You are constantly trying to delegitimize every single win and all his supporters with your absurd and disagreeable agenda.

Hillary needs as many Bernie voters as she can possibly get if she is the nominee. There are no closed elections in the general! She is a doing terribly among independents, the white working class and people under 40, and you are doing everything you can to make sure she loses.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:39 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Hillary is favored to Hispanics. Sanders favored to those with ethnic background of Asia and Mexico. They are equal with African Americans. Sanders also has support of Hollywood elite, Yuppies, and Hippies.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Looked this up for another topic. I get this for which candidate has or will win which states.
Okay, so RI is the same as Florida? Indiana is the same as Texas? I see. Will you please explain this to me.

Anyway, I haven't seen any poll that shows Bernie is ahead in either New Jersey or California.

By the way, as the Washington Post points out, exit polls in WV show that 44% of people who voted for Bernie Sanders on Tues will vote for Donald Trump in the General Election.

[URL="https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/05/10/early-w-va-numbers-show-4-in-10-sanders-backers-prefer-trump-over-clinton-and-trump-over-sanders/"]A lot of Donald Trump supporters voted for Bernie Sanders today[/URL]

Interesting that so many Trump supporters want Bernie to win the Democratic nomination!

Old 05-11-2016, 05:22 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Anyway, I haven't seen any poll that shows Bernie is ahead in either New Jersey
I predicted that Hillary would win NJ.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nope. GA has bigger population than NC, but less delegates. Michigan has far more delegates but has less population than either state. So point proved wrong.
Yes, GA has a slightly larger population than NC, but has 2 fewer delegates. However, as I've written before, if you list the top 12 states in the U.S. by population, you can see that Hillary won every single one of them except for Michigan.

Largest US States by Population
California 37,253,956 (primary in June)
Texas 25,145,561 (Hillary)
New York 19,378,102 (Hillary)
Florida 18,801,310 (Hillary)
Illinois 12,830,632 (Hillary)
Pennsylvania 12,702,379 (Hillary)
Ohio 11,536,504 (Hillary)
Michigan 9,883,640 (Bernie)
Georgia 9,687,653 (Hillary)
North Carolina 9,535,483 (Hillary)
New Jersey 8,791,894 (primary in June)
Virginia 8,001,024 (Hillary)

The delegates per state gets to be very complicated. [URL="https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/02/16/everything-you-need-to-know-about-delegate-math-in-the-presidential-primary/"]This[/URL] is the best explanation I read this year and it still makes my head spin.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:34 PM

1,676 posts, read 945,629 times
Bernie is way behind in polls in both Oregon (a closed primary) and CA (a more diverse state). Hillary will win both of them handily.

Bernie will take Montana and the Dakotas, but that's it. There just aren't enough angry White people for him to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections