Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 06:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times

Advertisements

I think Trump is a slimebucket, but I had to agree with his assessment of Martinez. When he said he could do a better job running the state, I thought "ANYONE could do a better job." The state has gone from bad to worse under her tenure, the economy has not revived since the downturn, and jobs have been draining away. She's a total loser and became a laughing-stock after the now infamous "pizza party".

The Washington Post made a list of seven reasons why attacking Martinez was a stupid idea:

The attack underscores the hollowness of Trump's promise to unify the party
Attacking the most prominent Latina in the Republican Party will make attracting Latino votes only harder
Trump is going to get clobbered with women and going after the first female governor of New Mexico won't help
The incident shows that Trump is thin skinned and lacks self discipline, which Clinton will exploit to the hilt
Party unity is going to be harder to achieve than the conventional wisdom suggests
Trump's willingness to attack Republicans shows other Republicans they better embrace him or else
Trump continues to galvanize the Democrats who will say he hates women and hates Latinos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:03 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There dislike goes back a little way. Never would she have run as VP on his ticket. She simply stood her ground and I don't blame her one bit. She didn't lose a thing by not showing up; she sent her regrets and the reason she was not coming.
That's pretty interesting that you've mentioned that Gov. Martinez has had issues with Trump for some time. How did that happen or come about? Not that it matters now.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:31 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So do you think it would be in Trump's interest to try to win her over instead of acting like a petulant child? Remember, he would need her more than the other way around in this scenario.
He doesn't need her. New Mexico is not a swing state, and last time I checked the peopled elected the president, not republican governors. He has the nomination clinched.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
He doesn't need her. New Mexico is not a swing state, and last time I checked the peopled elected the president, not republican governors. He has the nomination clinched.
You're missing the point totally. It's not about only the nomination process, it's also about the general election- where votes DO count. Wouldn't you want a governor to be on your side to mobilize resources in her state party to help bring out the vote?

And trying to write off or concede votes just because it's a blue state (NM isn't all THAT blue) is like leaving money on the table. If that's the case, why should Trump campaign in California and New York, which are REALLY blue states?

Anyway, this is really a manifestation of Trump's uncanny ability to burn bridges.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You're missing the point totally. It's not about only the nomination process, it's also about the general election- where votes DO count. Wouldn't you want a governor to be on your side to mobilize resources in her state party to help bring out the vote?

And trying to write off or concede votes just because it's a blue state (NM isn't all THAT blue) is like leaving money on the table. If that's the case, why should Trump campaign in California and New York, which are REALLY blue states?

Anyway, this is really a manifestation of Trump's uncanny ability to burn bridges.
He's like a one man deforestation force coming through town and burning it all down with him.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think Trump is a slimebucket, but I had to agree with his assessment of Martinez. When he said he could do a better job running the state, I thought "ANYONE could do a better job." The state has gone from bad to worse under her tenure, the economy has not revived since the downturn, and jobs have been draining away. She's a total loser and became a laughing-stock after the now infamous "pizza party".

The Washington Post made a list of seven reasons why attacking Martinez was a stupid idea:

The attack underscores the hollowness of Trump's promise to unify the party
Attacking the most prominent Latina in the Republican Party will make attracting Latino votes only harder
Trump is going to get clobbered with women and going after the first female governor of New Mexico won't help
The incident shows that Trump is thin skinned and lacks self discipline, which Clinton will exploit to the hilt
Party unity is going to be harder to achieve than the conventional wisdom suggests
Trump's willingness to attack Republicans shows other Republicans they better embrace him or else
Trump continues to galvanize the Democrats who will say he hates women and hates Latinos

Attacking Martinez's governing record isn't the point. If we were to use that rationale, Trump shouldn't fish for endorsements from officials in Kansas, Louisiana and Mississippi (historically and sadly, dead last in most social and economic metrics). It's about winning friends and building support in as many places as possible.

The Washington Posts's seven reasons are spot on.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:16 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
I disagree that New Mexico isn't a swing state. It's obviously not a gimme, but I think it will be in play. If we know anything about 2016, we know that this year isn't going to be business as usual and while I think the states that are solidly red and blue will stay that way, I think anything that is typically characterized as "leaning" one way or the other could be up for grabs - that's actually better news for the GOP, because the electoral map doesn't really favor them. But non-candidate specific, there is often a tendency to shift to the other party after one party has held the presidency for a couple terms.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:35 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,290,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I disagree that New Mexico isn't a swing state. It's obviously not a gimme, but I think it will be in play. If we know anything about 2016, we know that this year isn't going to be business as usual and while I think the states that are solidly red and blue will stay that way, I think anything that is typically characterized as "leaning" one way or the other could be up for grabs - that's actually better news for the GOP, because the electoral map doesn't really favor them. But non-candidate specific, there is often a tendency to shift to the other party after one party has held the presidency for a couple terms.
I think that this election will determine whether New Mexico is still a swing state. Obama won it twice by double digits. Unless Trump can make it close, I think for the foreseeable future it can be considered solid blue. Other states I'm interested in seeing where they shake out post-Obama are Colorado, Florida, Nevada and Virginia. On the other side of the line, to me it's Pennsylvania. If there are Republican gains from the "blue wall" Pennsylvania looks to be the most likely.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Trump's really missed an opportunity to put NM in play. I've heard that even NM residents who aren't all that fond of Gov. Martinez are rallying to her side on this.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:46 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Trump just can't keep his big, stupid mouth shut. She's a woman and she's Hispanic. Two demographics he's doing very poorly with, Im sure this will help Not to mention she's popular with Republicans and this makes Trump look even more foolish than he is. As I said, 6 more months of him saying stupid things like this and he will be down 20 points in the polls heading into Nov as he loses in a landslide.
You haven't been right in any of your predictions so far. All you anti-Trumps have had to eat so much crow you are sprouting wings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections