Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,537,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Oh ok, I;m sticking with him either way, I'll have to go research the debate deadline for the 15%.

I'm more concerned with him getting the 5% popular vote so the Libertarian party can have a stronger showing in 2020 since they will get the matching FEC funds if they hit that 5% mark. To me the money is more important than the debates hi year.
Actually the amount a third party would get from the FEC, would be a pretty piddling amount. Big money puts candidates into office, so a third party populist would probably need to win against substantially better financed opponents. So, the quality and grass roots support of a popular candidate is more important than the money. I think Ross Perot showed us years ago, it is possible, he got close before they took him out. I am also voting LP for a better chance in the next election, I think if we show enough interest in overthrowing the political elite, it may attract better choices, to third parties, through candidates that see a possibility of making a difference and winning an election. Gary Johnson is OK, I think Weld would have been better, but neither is the right guy to take the message forward and build that grass roots organization between now and 2020. The LP has to work hard in the intervening years to prepare for the next cycle, or they will fare no better and eventually fade into obscurity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 08:17 AM

5,902 posts, read 3,920,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
wow.

what a poser !!!

and this idiot wants to be president ?

the joke is on you.
Did you say that about Trump when he didn't know what the nuclear triad was?

Old 09-08-2016, 08:19 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,004,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Actually the amount a third party would get from the FEC, would be a pretty piddling amount. Big money puts candidates into office, so a third party populist would probably need to win against substantially better financed opponents. So, the quality and grass roots support of a popular candidate is more important than the money. I think Ross Perot showed us years ago, it is possible, he got close before they took him out. I am also voting LP for a better chance in the next election, I think if we show enough interest in overthrowing the political elite, it may attract better choices, to third parties, through candidates that see a possibility of making a difference and winning an election. Gary Johnson is OK, I think Weld would have been better, but neither is the right guy to take the message forward and build that grass roots organization between now and 2020. The LP has to work hard in the intervening years to prepare for the next cycle, or they will fare no better and eventually fade into obscurity.
Mostly agree with all of that. In terms of the money, although it won't be significant in terms of what the D/R parties spend, it will be multiple times what the Libertarian party has been able to drum up on their own previously. Its all relative, and smaller steps that are important to start making changes in 2020 and beyond.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:22 AM

5,902 posts, read 3,920,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
That really needed to be bold? Because Trump has never spoken any gaffes before. Haha

At least Johnson did know the subject once the host clarified. Its a sad world when people laugh at a candidates honesty.
Agreed, Trump would have danced around this by giving word-salad non-answers about Obama and Hillary and finally redirecting back to Make America Great Again.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:32 AM

11,986 posts, read 5,320,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Agreed, Trump would have danced around this by giving word-salad non-answers about Obama and Hillary and finally redirecting back to Make America Great Again.
If Trump were asked the same question, assuming he knows what Aleppo is, would be "I'll bomb the •••• out of it".

Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 AM

25,670 posts, read 17,426,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Did you say that about Trump when he didn't know what the nuclear triad was?
Yeah. And Palin when she wasn't sure what the "Bush Doctrine" was....

Old 09-08-2016, 08:44 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,992,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
That wont happen unless people join www.represent.us and FairVote.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:49 AM

15,888 posts, read 21,507,787 times
An educated person would have known what Aleppo was in 2008. A slightly well-informed person would have known what Aleppo was in 2014. You have to literally live under a rock and consume no news to not know what Aleppo is in 2016.

I can see why people want Johnson at the debates: he might actually make Trump look like he knows something about foreign policy!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:50 AM

39,126 posts, read 51,396,292 times
That's what smoking weed does to you, folks.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:03 AM

45,760 posts, read 27,388,717 times
From page 1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
That's because our country's political system is a two-party system and it blocks any other avenues for potentially capable individuals from being front and center. Where was Gary Johnson last night - why wasn't he on the stage with the Demo-GOP candidates?

Why isn't Johnson getting national security briefs like the other candidates to allow him to be on a level playing field?
Because then anyone can call themselves a presidential candidate and get access to this information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections