Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 05:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
First off, I can't figure out why anyone would expect a candidate to relinquish their right to contest the results of an election that hasn't happened yet, especially if they have reason to believe that all is not kosher.
That's never been the issue. What Trump is being expected to do is acknowledge that it is not he who determines whether the election is legitimate, but rather he is being expected to defer that determination to the Secretaries of State of the fifty states. He has refused to do that - refused to grant the states the right to determine their own due process, and refused to grant the citizens of the states the right to designate their own authorities.

Quote:
Funny, as much as I respect the overall job that Chris Wallace did in the final debate (especially compared to the first two) I can't fathom why he worded the question that way and why he didn't ask Hillary the same question.
He worded the question precisely the way it should have been worded, and the reason why he didn't ask Hillary Clinton is because there is no reason to think she wouldn't respect the determination of the Secretaries of State.

Quote:
But my real question here is what will Democrats (both the people and the politicians) do if Trump actually wins?
What we've always done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kennedy
For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die.
What is inescapable is that 240 years ago our nation became part of what is now a 350 year journey of progress in western civilization. Today's rightists would be considered raving leftists by the rightists of 100 years ago, and so shall it be 100 years from now. Progress isn't a matter of "if" - it's just a matter of "when".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 05:28 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
What will Democrats do? I can't say, considering they are a very diverse group of individuals, you'd have to ask each and every one what that individual will do to get an honest answer. But I don't think you want an honest answer. So, I'll tell you what I, an individual liberal, will do if Trump gets elected:

Life will go on, much the same as it does now. Not much will change. I'll get up Nov. 9th, pray for my country, and the world much as I do most days. If it's a Thursday, I'll go to my women's group, where we do Bible studies and pray together. I'll wait and see what he does, how he governs, and if I don't like it, in four years I will vote against him.
Very true except I am a man. I think the Dems would get the House and maybe the Senate in the midterms. Get the Presidency in four years. We would see the democratic party tent grow as people turn away from the Trump when his right wing policies hit them in the pocket book and when they lose health insurance. Im a Lutheran but may join my Catholic wife in a Rosary if I think it can get rid of him, lol.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:37 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
I think the big tent should be in the middle, not off on the left. The most likely way that comes about is under a Clinton administration, with the GOP breaking apart as a result of a massive loss now.

Furthermore, I don't want to see people get "hit" by "his right wing policies". I want to avoid that.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:24 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
And then throw Hillary in jail.
And then burn the Bill of Rights starting with the first amendment. Nobody better publish ANYTHING negative about The Great Don! That's treason!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:28 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Much ado has been made about the fact that Trump refused to say that he would "accept" the results of the election.

First off, I can't figure out why anyone would expect a candidate to relinquish their right to contest the results of an election that hasn't happened yet, especially if they have reason to believe that all is not kosher.

Funny, as much as I respect the overall job that Chris Wallace did in the final debate (especially compared to the first two) I can't fathom why he worded the question that way and why he didn't ask Hillary the same question.

But my real question here is what will Democrats (both the people and the politicians) do if Trump actually wins?

Will Democrats "accept" Trump winning? OR will they throw a fit, demand investigations, recounts and indulge in their favorite form of protests....Riots?
I will note, in all seriousness, that Chris Wallace, in his role as 'moderator', lacked any power or authority to bind Mr. Trump to his answer, even if Mr. Trump said "Yes, I will accept the results". If Mr. Trump had said 'yes', but there were a state (Florida for example) in which the voting is a virtual tie, Mr. Trump would still have had the right (ignoring for the moment Florida's law about an automatic recount in such situations) to request a recount.

I imagine that, should Mr. Trump win the election, most rational people, be they Democrat, Republican, Independent, Libertarian or what have you, would accept him as President, as 'we the people' have for 240 years or so.

Irrational people are another matter. One cannot predict the behavior of irrational people.

While I am voting for Ms. Clinton, if Mr. Trump were to win, I would say 'Huh, surprising', and carry on with life. As I have said before, should he win, I believe that Mr. Trump would want to be a 'great' president (same as Hillary; same as anyone that has achieved that office), and so would (hopefully) discard much of his rhetoric, listen to his advisors, and get about governing the nation.

He would have, of course, a reality check on what he can actually do. Not only will he have to have the support of Congress for many of his policies, but even if Congress passed some of his proposals, the Federal Courts can be resorted to by those that believe such laws are unconstitutional. I would also think that while a President Trump will readily cancel some of President Obama's executive orders, he may, on reflection, keep many (he had claimed he would cancel all, which is rather silly).

Old 10-23-2016, 06:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default What if Trump wins?

We don't live in a universe where Drumpf can win.

It may be possible on Planet Ecks in some parallel dimension, but not here.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:38 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Very true except I am a man. I think the Dems would get the House and maybe the Senate in the midterms. Get the Presidency in four years. We would see the democratic party tent grow as people turn away from the Trump when his right wing policies hit them in the pocket book and when they lose health insurance. Im a Lutheran but may join my Catholic wife in a Rosary if I think it can get rid of him, lol.
I agree with you, I'm not overly concerned about a Trump Administration, I honestly don't think it would last long. Regardless I think we'll all be fine, and our ship of state will sail on, much as it has the past 200+ years. We get stuck in some pretty crazy storms sometimes, but we always see the sun again.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:13 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If Hillary wins I'm sure there are people who will look at the details of the election especially if it is close in some states.
We have seen some sketchy things from the Hillary camp.

If Trump wins I'm sure there will be riots and demands of recounts. I also wouldn't be surprised if the GOP came out and said that they refuse to work with him. They have already pretty much said that they expect Hillary to win but they vow to block anything she attempts.

SO if Hillary wins, nothing will get done. If Trump wins nothing will get done.

Whomever wins America loses....

Hillary hasn't even lost yet and her campaign is on record for having sent paid thugs against Trump supporters.

We're already well beyond "sketchy".

Trump winning the general might shock a few of DC's resident corporate whores back to a useful state.

If not, they can be primaried and disposed of just like Jeb, Kasich, Rubio and the like.

This is a movement of the people that started with the people.

We are not going to be handled like children.

As for Hillary's supporters... I've seen her half-filled high school gymnasiums.

Support for Hillary is pretty anemic.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:21 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Not "if" - WHEN!

President Trump.

Go ahead, say it. See how it just rolls off your tongue. Prressident Trump!
You are putting on a brave face, and I find it rather sweet and sad at the same time ... full of pathos in the truest sense of the word.

In defeat I hope you do not stew in bitterness and anger, and I promise I will not gloat nor ridicule; it's just one election out of many and you will get on with your life.

Peace.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:23 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Much ado has been made about the fact that Trump refused to say that he would "accept" the results of the election.

Will Democrats "accept" Trump winning? OR will they throw a fit, demand investigations, recounts and indulge in their favorite form of protests....Riots?
Maybe they should leave this country for good, better yet create their own country out of landfill close to where Hillary wants to take in the refugees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections