Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

Advertisements

Trump has his loyal, ardent supporters who will support him to the end. However, they weren't who gave him the Presidency. Trump won because many swing voters didn't like Hillary, were fed up with the status quo, and were willing to take a gamble to try something different. These are people whom I think Trump is going to have much difficulty getting votes from next election. Unless the Democrats nominate somebody as terrible as Hillary or worse, I don't see how Trump wins in 2020. Unless things turn around significantly for Trump, he will be our next one-term President and will lose in a landslide in 2020. The Democrats will recapture the blue wall and I wouldn't be surprised to see states like NC and FL go blue as well.

I know, I know, polls predicted a landslide for Hillary, but the dynamics will be different in 2020. People will judge Trump on his first four years and what he has accomplished and what his failures were. The kind of campaign he ran in 2016 isn't going to work in 2020. Hopefully the Democrats will have a more respectable candidate than Hillary.

Regardless of party, America is due for a one-term Presidency anyways. Hillary would have also been one-term had she been elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
With current unhappiness with government i wonder if a third party might arise thus diminishing a potential Democrat win in 2020 and having Trump slither back in as President with a very slim majority as a consequence.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:27 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
There is no problem for Trump in 2020 if he decides to run. The problem will lie again in the lap of the Democratic Party and their inability to produce a viable candidate. Additionally, with their current behavior and lack of leadership, they are disaster that will take more than 4 years to heal.

I do think if a 3rd party were to get their act together and start working at it right now, they could produce a viable candidate. I think that would more likely be a party that will damage the Dems rather than the GOP.

If the country is doing well in 2020, the Dems have no reason to get out of bed on Election Day!

Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
There is no problem for Trump in 2020 if he decides to run. The problem will lie again in the lap of the Democratic Party and their inability to produce a viable candidate. Additionally, with their current behavior and lack of leadership, they are disaster that will take more than 4 years to heal.

I do think if a 3rd party were to get their act together and start working at it right now, they could produce a viable candidate. I think that would more likely be a party that will damage the Dems rather than the GOP.

If the country is doing well in 2020, the Dems have no reason to get out of bed on Election Day!
Do you really believe everyone who voted for Trump in 2016 will vote for him in 2020? Unless things turn around, he will get less support in 2020 than he had in 2016. Trump only narrowly won the blue wall states in the upper Midwest. Unless the Trump Presidency experiences a complete 180 degree turnaround, I don't see Trump holding onto those states in 2020.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:08 AM

908 posts, read 1,419,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Do you really believe everyone who voted for Trump in 2016 will vote for him in 2020? Unless things turn around, he will get less support in 2020 than he had in 2016. Trump only narrowly won the blue wall states in the upper Midwest. Unless the Trump Presidency experiences a complete 180 degree turnaround, I don't see Trump holding onto those states in 2020.
Do you think that SJWs will adapt to common sense in the next three months and start having messages that appeal to a majority of people? While I think not as many people will vote for Trump, I also think a lot fewer people will be willing to vote for a Democrat given some of their recent messages and actions.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:58 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Trump is a guy who has more Goldman Sachs execs in his administrative cabinet than Obama ever had. The rest of them are all corporate raiders and hawkish military types. Drain the swamp, he did not.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:15 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

:
a third winning party can arise out of moderate Reps and anti-clinton Dems.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:34 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
a third winning party can arise out of moderate Reps and anti-clinton Dems.
hmmm... I'm kinda thinking that there will be such thing 4 years from now. Nobody named clinton is likely to be running for prez, so why would there be any?

Old 03-30-2017, 03:05 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
hmmm... I'm kinda thinking that there will be such thing 4 years from now. Nobody named clinton is likely to be running for prez, so why would there be any?
The anti-Clinton sentiments were not just about her, although it was, but also many things she represented, such as gradual increment rather than radical change like 15 dollar minimum wage. I think there is room for a cohesion of Bernie supporters, conservative Repubs like the kind who now want to expand Medicaid, and those against military expansion.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:31 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With current unhappiness with government i wonder if a third party might arise thus diminishing a potential Democrat win in 2020 and having Trump slither back in as President with a very slim majority as a consequence.
This is what we badly need. The extreme left and right have essentially prevented our government from functioning in a productive manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections