Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:57 AM

10 posts, read 21,828 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time picking due to being split on many issues such as:

Pro Life/Pro Choice
Pro/anti Stem Cell Research
Gun control/rights
Universal Health Care
War issues
Taxes
Economy
Foreign Relations

...amongst others.

What do you do when your ideal candidate does not exist or even come close and you MUST make a choice? What if you lean far one way except for one real important issue?

Do you think any of the candidates will stick to their guns or do you think they are wishy-washy on some issues and if so, which candidates on which issues? For the sake of argument let's pretend it is a three-way general election.

Please don't start fighting over things like on other topics as this is my first one and I really need help! Please?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:26 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
They are all political. All of them will say whatever it is that they think will get them the most votes from the people in their parties and interest groups and folks who might be undecided. You have to make up your own mind about which one is the most qualified and sincere about carrying out the best solutions to issues that you are most concerned about. No one should try to tell you how to vote. Any person can tell you why, or why not they would or would not vote for any particular candidate.
But your personal choice has to be the one you feel most comfortable with as the leader of this country.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:01 AM

357 posts, read 891,282 times
LittleBunnyFooFoo - many of my friends have struggled with this issue as well. They feel strongly about a certain number of issues, and can't discern where a candidate stands in relation to that/those issue(s). Here is the best resource I have found in directing their queries: GlassBooth.org

This site has a 2-part quiz to allow you to explore candidates. In the first part, there are a list of issues, and you assign 20 total points to the issues as you see fit. If gun control is your number one issue, for example, and nothing else matters, give 20/20 points to Gun Control. If you think that Healthcare and Social Security are the top two issues, give each 10 of your 20, etc... Then, on the second part of the quiz, it will ask you pointed questions on these issues and ask you to respond on a 5-point scale (Stronly Disagree . . . Strongly Agree). Your answers will be weighted based on part I, and graded based on part II - and it will lay out a grid for you that shows each major party candidate, how similar your views are, and where specifically they are similar and different. Each stance of each candidate is backed up by voting records, speech excerpts, papers, etc. so that you can easily evaluate your opinion.

SUCH a handy tool - and I really hopes it helps you in your candidate search! Best of luck, my friend!!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:18 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
MiamiU08 -

Glassbooth is pretty interesting, thanks.

For me -

Obama 73%
Hillary 69%
McCain 59%

About what I would expect. As I've said a few times, I'm actually pretty pleased with ALL the candidates this time around. I have my preference of course, but in the end I will vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is this year - and for the first time in 8 years I can actually be "reasonably satisfied" with the Republican candidate.

Ken

Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiU08 View Post
LittleBunnyFooFoo - many of my friends have struggled with this issue as well. They feel strongly about a certain number of issues, and can't discern where a candidate stands in relation to that/those issue(s). Here is the best resource I have found in directing their queries: GlassBooth.org
Thanks for that. I have done a few of these type of things, and I usually end up with Mike Gravel, then Obama, then Hillary. This one went Obama, Gravel, Hillary.

As to the OP, it looks like you are close to being a single issue voter, and most likely rather conservative. John McCain is the only candidate left that would at least have to pander to some of the folks with that viewpoint, but a part of George Bush's legacy will probably be that America will not be willing for awhile to elect such a socially conservative person to the Presidency.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
For me it was Mike Gravel! (This is not the first quiz in which this has happened.
Kucinich has come up for me in other quizzes.)

# Mike Gravel 86% similarity
# 2 Hillary Clinton 85% similarity
# 3 Barack Obama 79% similarity
#4 John McCain 46% similarity

Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 AM

MiamiU08-thanx I'll check it out tonight

Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Thanks for that. I have done a few of these type of things, and I usually end up with Mike Gravel, then Obama, then Hillary. This one went Obama, Gravel, Hillary.

As to the OP, it looks like you are close to being a single issue voter, and most likely rather conservative. John McCain is the only candidate left that would at least have to pander to some of the folks with that viewpoint, but a part of George Bush's legacy will probably be that America will not be willing for awhile to elect such a socially conservative person to the Presidency.

How do come to the conclusion that I am rather conservative? That's off the mark like I said I am split. I listed issues I never said which way I was leaning on them. But what do you do if the candidate that you least trust is the one that matches your views best? Or your stuck voting for one that you find trustworthy but you couldn't be farther from on key issues? This sucks. Its like whatever I do I am voting for my own enemy.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:44 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Kucinich 85%
Obama 81%
Richardson 81%
Biden 80%
Edwards 79%
Gravel 79%
Dodd 77%
Hillary 76%

McCain 46%

It just goes to show that there is more to being President than stances on issues. You have to be able to connect to people and to be able to lead. I would vote for Kucinich in a heartbeat. But his looks, personality, and honesty about UFO's make him un-followable (word?). And man it would be great to have his wife as first lady!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 AM

357 posts, read 891,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Kucinich 85%
Obama 81%
Richardson 81%
Biden 80%
Edwards 79%
Gravel 79%
Dodd 77%
Hillary 76%

McCain 46%

It just goes to show that there is more to being President than stances on issues. You have to be able to connect to people and to be able to lead. I would vote for Kucinich in a heartbeat. But his looks, personality, and honesty about UFO's make un-followable (word?). And man it would be great to have his wife as first lady!

Big Denny K lol - makes all of us Clevelanders proud...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections