Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,799,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBunnyFooFoo View Post
How do come to the conclusion that I am rather conservative? That's off the mark like I said I am split. I listed issues I never said which way I was leaning on them. But what do you do if the candidate that you least trust is the one that matches your views best? Or your stuck voting for one that you find trustworthy but you couldn't be farther from on key issues? This sucks. Its like whatever I do I am voting for my own enemy.
Sorry if I jumped to conclusions, but your top three criteria are typically things that conservatives care about, not liberals. I assumed that list was in order of importance, but I could have obviously been wrong. People could be more helpful to you if you were a little less cryptic about your stances and used a few more specifics.

Again, I am sorry that I made incorrect assumptions.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,872,276 times
Quote:
LittleBunnyFooFoo - many of my friends have struggled with this issue as well. They feel strongly about a certain number of issues, and can't discern where a candidate stands in relation to that/those issue(s). Here is the best resource I have found in directing their queries: GlassBooth.org
Thanks for this MiamiU08. It showed what I expected - pretty even b/w Obama and Hillary on the big issues. It was good to see it compared that way though.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:58 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,872,276 times
Quote:
How do come to the conclusion that I am rather conservative? That's off the mark like I said I am split. I listed issues I never said which way I was leaning on them. But what do you do if the candidate that you least trust is the one that matches your views best? Or your stuck voting for one that you find trustworthy but you couldn't be farther from on key issues? This sucks. Its like whatever I do I am voting for my own enemy.
You have to really look at the issues. What are the biggest couple of issues for you. For me, it's education, immigration, and taxes. I've been focused on Hillary and Obama and both are similar. I hadn't really looked at McCain until now. I'm really stuck. For example, I don't like Obama but McCain supports No Child Left Behind which I'm vehemently against as well as standardized testing which I don't support either while Hillary and Obama both have the same views as I do. I might just have to pray really hard that I'm wrong about Obama and vote for him even though I swore just yesterday I wouldn't. It may be voting for the lesser of 2 evils but at least my vote would count for helping the causes I believe in. My son is in 2nd grade and I'd like to see the education in this country get better while it can still help him. Not trying to hijack but I just wanted you to see that you need to analyze what matters to you and find the candidate that best supports it. Even it means you don't "like" that candidate.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,116,262 times
I'm having the same problem of finding there is no candidate...or political party...with whom I agree on many issues. I am pro life but have no problem with gay rights. I am anti-war but pro support of our troops. I am pro universal health care but do NOT agree with any of the plans put forth that include private insurance companies. I am pro social justice and education but strongly dislike "professional victims." I am pro union and anti Nafta but do not have a problem with people coming to this country to make a better life for their families and strongly dislike the "hate" toward undocumented workers. I could go on and on. The fact is that I care more about issues than I do being a member of a "party." And I can't find any candidate that comes close to my views.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:02 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,082,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
MiamiU08 -

Glassbooth is pretty interesting, thanks.

For me -

Obama 73%
Hillary 69%
McCain 59%

About what I would expect. As I've said a few times, I'm actually pretty pleased with ALL the candidates this time around. I have my preference of course, but in the end I will vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is this year - and for the first time in 8 years I can actually be "reasonably satisfied" with the Republican candidate.

Ken
Ain't that grand. Me too.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM

357 posts, read 891,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'm having the same problem of finding there is no candidate...or political party...with whom I agree on many issues. I am pro life but have no problem with gay rights. I am anti-war but pro support of our troops. I am pro universal health care but do NOT agree with any of the plans put forth that include private insurance companies. I am pro social justice and education but strongly dislike "professional victims." I am pro union and anti Nafta but do not have a problem with people coming to this country to make a better life for their families and strongly dislike the "hate" toward undocumented workers. I could go on and on. The fact is that I care more about issues than I do being a member of a "party." And I can't find any candidate that comes close to my views.

Well, off the top of my head, I would say that many of your views are more in line with liberal viewpoints, but I won't say that you are a purist liberal. Have you taken the Glassbooth.org survey I suggested. It is not perfect by any means, but it will help you through the relative weighting of questions.

Good luck!! I know you have a tough decision ahead of you, but hopefully the numerous resources available and some of the discussion here will help put things in perspective. If you have any specific questions I could answer for you, please do not hesitate to private message.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,082,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You sound alot like me. I have lots of Eastern PA Catholic friends who are in that same frame of mind. I do not get the need for the insurance companies, they just are a layer of bureaucracy. The troops are ours, and we must be good to them even when we cannot bring them home. I have lived through the immigration process with my Irish spouse and it is incredibly difficult and expensive so I see both sides of that coin. etc.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:09 AM

523 posts, read 2,906,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
You have to really look at the issues. What are the biggest couple of issues for you. For me, it's education, immigration, and taxes. I've been focused on Hillary and Obama and both are similar. I hadn't really looked at McCain until now. I'm really stuck. For example, I don't like Obama but McCain supports No Child Left Behind which I'm vehemently against as well as standardized testing which I don't support either while Hillary and Obama both have the same views as I do. I might just have to pray really hard that I'm wrong about Obama and vote for him even though I swore just yesterday I wouldn't. It may be voting for the lesser of 2 evils but at least my vote would count for helping the causes I believe in. My son is in 2nd grade and I'd like to see the education in this country get better while it can still help him. Not trying to hijack but I just wanted you to see that you need to analyze what matters to you and find the candidate that best supports it. Even it means you don't "like" that candidate.
If you swore yesterday that you wouldn't vote for Obama, why would you vote for him, instead of Clinton? Clinton and Obama are very similar on most issues (and actually so is McCain).

Old 03-20-2008, 09:11 AM

10 posts, read 21,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Sorry if I jumped to conclusions, but your top three criteria are typically things that conservatives care about, not liberals. I assumed that list was in order of importance, but I could have obviously been wrong. People could be more helpful to you if you were a little less cryptic about your stances and used a few more specifics.

Again, I am sorry that I made incorrect assumptions.

It's ok! Just made me scratch my head.

I thought the Right to Choose was way at the TOP for liberals? No?

I'll have to come back when I get more time and continue this...

Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,542 times
Quote:
What do you do when your ideal candidate does not exist or even come close and you MUST make a choice? What if you lean far one way except for one real important issue?
You realize that the only ideal candidate that meets all your ideals on certain items is you. So get out and try to make the change yourself and not rely on career politicians who only master the art of pandering. Seriously, you will probably never meet a candidate that you agree with on every topic that matters. Consider voting for who wont do the most damage and if you havent already, go out and make some type of change yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections