Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 08:25 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

We have all seen how many in the Republican held Congress are not willing to play ball with Trump.
The ones who are on board with him have my respect while the others that seem to want to keep their distance from him possibly in an attempt to stay "clean" from any Russian fallout etc.. are the ones who are keeping the party from uniting.

We keep hearing from different sources from Trump, to reporters to right wing newscasters that if the GOP does not get its act together there will be consequences for them in 2018.

What exactly are the consequences? Will we see independent voters that usually lean to the Right come out instead for whomever the Left stands up to teach the Right a lesson ?

The GOP can continue to drag their feet on the Trump agenda and still be pretty secure in their jobs because they all know that Conservative voters have to show up to vote for them in 2018 if they want to keep their majority and to keep Trump in power.

The alternative of teaching the Right a lesson and not showing up to vote for them is to have the Dems take control.

What consequences will the anti Trump Republicans face in 2018?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 02:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Of course some are keeping their distance because Trump can't help them in 2018. I do wish the party would unite. I don't think anyone has an answer. I am so confused about even how I feel right now. Until recently I whole heartedly (spelling),supported him but now I am backing off a little. I think the congress is acting in the way they think is best. When I see Trump say, "you will be sorry" in so many words it almost sounds like a baseless remark.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course some are keeping their distance because Trump can't help them in 2018. I do wish the party would unite. I don't think anyone has an answer. I am so confused about even how I feel right now. Until recently I whole heartedly (spelling),supported him but now I am backing off a little. I think the congress is acting in the way they think is best. When I see Trump say, "you will be sorry" in so many words it almost sounds like a baseless remark.
I don't think that at all.

Almost as many Republican politicians didn't want Trump to be president as Democrats didn't want Trump to be president.

They don't want to work. They don't want to do any heavy lifting. They don't want to rock the boat. They don't want to face the anger at home (either from those who would hate on them because they are furthering Trumps agenda or from those who would hate on them for NOT furthering Trumps agenda). They don't want to compromise their positions or their power, or the money, perks and benefits that come with those positions and power. They wanted an establishment candidate and it likely didn't really matter which establishment candidate won or from which party, as long as it wasn't their nightmare - Trump.

What will be the consequences of that? Too soon to say. What I hope is that many of those in the GOP who are up for re-election in 18, those who drag their feet or outright refuse to work to further the agenda that got Trump to the WH, will be replaced. Get with the program or get out.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:17 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I don't think that at all.

Almost as many Republican politicians didn't want Trump to be president as Democrats didn't want Trump to be president.

They don't want to work. They don't want to do any heavy lifting. They don't want to rock the boat. They don't want to face the anger at home (either from those who would hate on them because they are furthering Trumps agenda or from those who would hate on them for NOT furthering Trumps agenda). They don't want to compromise their positions or their power, or the money, perks and benefits that come with those positions and power. They wanted an establishment candidate and it likely didn't really matter which establishment candidate won or from which party, as long as it wasn't their nightmare - Trump.

What will be the consequences of that? Too soon to say. What I hope is that many of those in the GOP who are up for re-election in 18, those who drag their feet or outright refuse to work to further the agenda that got Trump to the WH, will be replaced. Get with the program or get out.

That is what I'm talking about.
We have many who are sitting on the fence afraid to insult or appease their base so the answer is to do as little as possible.

We should call these people "the turtles of the swamp" They sit on a log at the edge observing and ready to jump in when it suits them and just hang out when it does not.

Back in their home states I'm sure there are many that are upset at their inaction and failure to unite but what are the consequences? The incumbent generally runs again so their only challenger will be a Democrat and even the most disgruntled Right leaning voter would be a fool to vote for a Dem.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is what I'm talking about.
We have many who are sitting on the fence afraid to insult or appease their base so the answer is to do as little as possible.

We should call these people "the turtles of the swamp" They sit on a log at the edge observing and ready to jump in when it suits them and just hang out when it does not.

Back in their home states I'm sure there are many that are upset at their inaction and failure to unite but what are the consequences? The incumbent generally runs again so their only challenger will be a Democrat and even the most disgruntled Right leaning voter would be a fool to vote for a Dem.
The anti Trumpers had larger margins of victory than Trump did im most states. I think their constituents rewarded them for not being willing to compromise principles just to support the candidate. Now, that isnt true of all Anti trumpers. There are some who will ahve to walk the line because they are vulnerable.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:08 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Really depends on the district. A more rural working class district Trump did better than previous Republicans, a Republican that doesn't toe the line could have issues in a Primary or General Election with voters staying home. Meanwhile a more educated middle to upper middle class suburban district could have issues in a General if they are too close tok Trump

Old 09-16-2017, 05:45 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
I think it's a mistake for members of the GOP establishment to assume they will automatically get the votes of Trump's supporters. For many of Trump's supporters they are just as much the enemy as the DNC establishment.

Trump continues to have their support. They GOP doesn't.

They are walking on thin ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections