Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 06:34 PM

34,070 posts, read 17,102,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
We pretended Obummer didn't exist either.
Who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 06:35 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,655,100 times
Default On topic even...

Election night 2016.

I was resigned to Hillary winning the presidency. I had no plans to watch the returns.

I was having a meal with some friends when someone at our table overheard someone say Trump was ahead. Naturally, I was surprised, it was the boost before the stomping Hillary was gonna lay on him(Shades of previous elections).

I returned to my place of rest for the evening (out of town that week). My host was watching the election returns. He was mildly disgusted that Trump was further ahead than he should be at that hour.

It was awhile before it began to sink in that Trump could be president. I had discounted it in my mind all along. I did not get warm and fuzzy when I realized Trump was likely to be our next president.

I sat in mild amusement that something had gone terribly wrong. Soon the Hillary camp also knew. I actually chuckled when I saw people breaking down at the thought of Hillary not winning. The CNN anchors and analysts were also disgusted.

I knew there would be good and bad with either candidate as with all leadership. As always we don't always get the leaders we need. Sometimes we get what we deserve.

Looking at the field thus far for 2020. I think we are in for more of the same. The aged leadership on both sides of the aisle are driving the outcomes. We need real change.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:38 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Election night 2016. Went to bed early. Really wanted Hillary to win. Because, I thought of the two people, she would be the most qualified leader.

I had a nightmare, that Trump won. I woke up and thought, oh no, there are only 2 people running and he could win; since Comey came out and made his accusations. Than I thought about the electoral college and turned on the tv and sure enough, my nightmare came true.

Now, I feel just like someone else said, that I surely must be in the Twilight Zone; this can't be happening. We need to be more particular who we run for president. They need to be vetted and examined physically and mentally.
I still can't believe he is in the Oval Office.

It just shows how broken and corrupt our system has become.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:21 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Boss1234 likes to ignore such things.
It wouldn't surprise me.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:52 PM

The evening of the election, I went to the polls. I voted for Gary Johnson. I felt very much at peace with myself. I voted for Bernie Sanders in the primaries, so. I didn't want Clinton to be the winner of the primary. Hilary Clinton won anyway. I promised myself "if it comes to both Clinton and Trump, I'm voting for a third party". I made good on that promise.

That night, I really believed that there might be enough people to see how brutish, bigoted, and mean-spirited Trump was that they might pick a third party. I was hinging on the possibility that there might be a much closer race. When Trump took Pennsylvania and Ohio, I was left with some shock. I was too nervous and erratic to watch the election. I went to bed. I didn't want to see the results. I'm prone to being depressed alot. And the last thing I wanted to do was go to bed AFTER hearing what I was perceive as bad news. I figured "I'll find out in the morning".

I was up at 5 AM the next morning. I was thinking "I don't want to find out until I'm at work". My brother ruined that for me. He came in the room and told me "Trump won". I sat there in shock. I didn't cry (it's not in me to cry). I didn't scream, I didn't shout, nothing. I just sat there, shocked, scared, depressed. One thing that went through my mind was "this country is going to return to the days of Jim Crow. It was a great run over the last 50 years. Things are going to slowly swing back to the olden days. Looks like my best times as a Black man might be ending soon". I got up and went to work. I had to make money. I went to work and the office was in a "whatever" kind of atmosphere. No one at the office was thrilled that Trump was in office. However, there was an attitude of "it is what it is".

The number one place I was scared of going to in the coming days was facebook. It seems like every election, I cut off contact with someone because they came up with some bigoted statement. It happened under the Obama administration. A few people decided to make some racially motivated comments regarding former President Obama. My first thought was "Really? I've known you for a long time and I'm finding that you have a bigoted mindset?". This particular election brought out some surprises. And people that I would expect to support Trump DIDN'T support Trump. But there was still some kind of histrionic behavior going on.

I felt alot of shock, fear, and depression. One year later, I feel like I'm stuck. No, I don't go around saying "not my President". I just have the feeling of "I'm stuck with this".

Old 11-22-2017, 01:32 PM

1,018 posts, read 512,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Absolutely all of you right wingers did. You and Mitch McConnell did everything possible to try to stop Obama from accomplishing anything for the U.S. But you didn't succeed. Obama kept the country safe and he raised the reputation of the U.S. around the world, something that Trump is successively destroying.
You mean like how the Dems are trying to stop Trump from everything he is trying to do? And keeping us safe? Obama refused to use the term radical islamic terrorism? trump put a vetting process on people coming from terroristic countries. Isn't that safety? Obama welcomed them all with open arms along with the illegals. You don't know much, do you?

Old 11-22-2017, 03:27 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,186,254 times
Quote:
You mean like how the Dems are trying to stop Trump from everything he is trying to do? And keeping us safe? Obama refused to use the term radical islamic terrorism? trump put a vetting process on people coming from terroristic countries. Isn't that safety? Obama welcomed them all with open arms along with the illegals. You don't know much, do you?
He also told terrorists don't cross my red line... they crossed it and he did nothing. It's a miracle we didn't have another 9/11. He was the weakest anti American president ever!!

Old 11-22-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
He also told terrorists don't cross my red line... they crossed it and he did nothing. It's a miracle we didn't have another 9/11. He was the weakest anti American president ever!!

The democrats say that people around the world respected Obama more than Trump. But, Obama was a pushover. I think they respect Trump more than him.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
The democrats say that people around the world respected Obama more than Trump. But, Obama was a pushover. I think they respect Trump more than him.
Well, based on what I've seen and heard from people in other parts of the world, many of them don't respect President Trump at all.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, based on what I've seen and heard from people in other parts of the world, many of them don't respect President Trump at all.
Because President Trump doesn't let others walk all over him like Obama did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections