Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 01:38 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
I wasn't talking about delegates, I was talking about popular vote. Which Obama lost.
No, he didnt. I already explained the flaw in your argument, and I didnt even include Florida which had a similar situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 01:45 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
He lost the national primary vote in the states that held primaries. We do not know, because we cannot know, what the totals would have looked like had all 50 states held primaries.

And, as I have just documented above, no state is obligated to choose as its nominee the winner of that state's primary, and neither is the national convention obligated to choose the winner of the aggregated primary totals as its presidential nominee.

That the 2008 D convention actually did choose the best candidate is evident from the general election results.

As I have repeatedly said, in this thread and others, I am not complaining about the EC electing Trump. He won it, fair and square. I've just been pointing out that there are different ways of viewing "fair". People who focus on individual voters have good reason for complaining about the EC. People who focus on the collective state have good reason for fearing being always outvoted, so they like the EC because it helps protect states with fewer voters from always being outvoted.

I will admit to the common-sense observation that it's a lot easier to be president if you actually do have the support of a majority of the nation's voters.
To be clear, no candidate in either primary is chosen by the popular vote. They are chosen by delegate.

When you go to the primary, what you are actually voting for is delegates. When you choose a candidate, you are only doing so to designate which group of delegates you are voting for.

Both parties use the delegate system, and in 2008 Michigan and Florida both had situation in which the popular vote means nothing as every Democrat except Clinton removed their name from the ballot in Michigan and they all chose not to campaign in Florida at all.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:07 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
But then why should we let one state (CA) elect the president? That's where Hillary's Popular Vote lead came from. Minus CA, and Trump wins Popular Vote by 2 million. CA should count like anywhere else, but 4 million in one state shouldn't decide for the other 400 million in the country. That is tyranny right there.

No, not at all. But people say all of WA is blue, not true. Like 7 counties are. Which contain the majority of the population. But most of the state area is red, no doubt.
California has 39.5 Million people, and the entire US has 323 Million citizens.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:44 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Last 5 pages summed up.

Democrats said....
  • Prior to Nov 8 2016 -> Hillary has unbreakable "Blue Wall". Trump has no path to 270 in electoral college. Popular vote doesn't matter.
  • After Nov 8, 2016 -> Electoral college is unfair. Hillary won popular vote.
Has to be seen to be believed.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:03 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Last 5 pages summed up.

Democrats said....
  • Prior to Nov 8 2016 -> Hillary has unbreakable "Blue Wall". Trump has no path to 270 in electoral college. Popular vote doesn't matter.
  • After Nov 8, 2016 -> Electoral college is unfair. Hillary won popular vote.
Has to be seen to be believed.
Actually, everyone who knows about the EC, whatever their party, understands that the popular vote doesn't matter. It's true that some people think that is unfair. And that others think it is great that the popular vote doesn't matter. But either way, they understand perfectly that the popular vote doesn't matter to the EC.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-26-2017 at 08:37 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 10:00 AM

1,018 posts, read 510,901 times
Quote:
Actually, everyone who knows about the EC, whatever their party, understands that the popular vote doesn't matter. It's true that some people think that is unfair. And that others think it is great that the popular vote doesn't matter. But either way, they understand perfectly that the popular vote doesn't matter to the EC.
Then why do some people on the left think it does?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
California has 39.5 Million people, and the entire US has 323 Million citizens.
Right, but Hillary's popular vote lead in CA nears 4 million, so why should 4 million in one state decide who the President is for the other 320 million?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No, he didnt. I already explained the flaw in your argument, and I didnt even include Florida which had a similar situation.
Of course, Florida this Michigan that. The excuses with you Democrats is quite sad. "Oh, but, Obama did this so that's why." yada yada yada. He lost the popular vote. Denial isn't a river in Egypt.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Of course, Florida this Michigan that. The excuses with you Democrats is quite sad. "Oh, but, Obama did this so that's why." yada yada yada. He lost the popular vote. Denial isn't a river in Egypt.
No, he didn't. Both times he ran, Obama won both the electoral vote and the popular vote.

You're just ticked that Trump can't say the same.

BTW, when it comes to the EC, the popular vote doesn't matter. That's exactly why the EC was established - to make sure that the popular vote didn't matter.

I'm sorry that you are still so confused on this point, after 9 pages of discussion. Oh well. I can post it for you, but I can't read it or understand it for you.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-26-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
No, he didn't. Both times he ran, Obama won both the electoral vote and the popular vote.

You're just ticked that Trump can't say the same.

BTW, when it comes to the EC, the popular vote doesn't matter. That's exactly why the EC was established - to make sure that the popular vote didn't matter.

I'm sorry that you are still so confused on this point, after 9 pages of discussion. Oh well. I can post it for you, but I can't read it or understand it for you.
Dude, you clearly can't read. Obama did not get more votes in the 2008 primary than Hillary. Hence, losing the popular vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections