Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 PM

939 posts, read 2,381,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I'm a undecided voter , but has been leaning towards Hillary Clinton more than ever. At the start of this race... I was leaning towards Barack Obama, as well as many people I know. Well what happen? Positive things happen, and I see Hillary Clinton as a better candidate.
If Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee, I said to myself that I will support either democratic president. Although now I will have to rethink not once but twice + if I rather have Obama or McCain sit in office. Well why? Obama simply ignored the two states of Michigan and Florida. I heard he speaks on having the delegates splited evenly, which is a ridiculous ideal and doesnt reflect the votes of the people. With Michigan and Florida in the race it can put Hillary Clinton in the lead of popular votes and delegates. Right now Obama is in the lead without the two states playing a role which completes the United States of America. I would find it hard / I dont know if I could accept a president that didnt become a president with the votes/ delegates of every state in the United States of America reflected by the people. He dissapointed many of those I know, and their vote for him no longer exist. I couldnt argue against them and I wont.
Obama has the popular vote lead right now, even with FL and MI (as you know, even though he wasn't in the ballot in your state). See link.

RealClearPolitics - 2008 Elections - Democratic Vote Count

I don't know what should be done in FL and MI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 12:17 PM

357 posts, read 891,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
But my son will be graduating from university in two years, under the next Administration. I DO worry about what sort of economy and country will greet him as he emerges with the credentials for a career and tens of thousands dollars in college debt. The economic forecast gets more dire each day; even the D word is being mentioned. At best, we're looking at a lengthy recession that many are saying could last 18 months.
This has been a central tenet of Sen. Obama's presidential candidacy. Capable, able-minded students like your son should not be straddled with a veritable mortgage coming out of college (something which is now necessary for EVERY competitive job in this country). Through a combination of mandatory service programs, green collar job creation, and tax cuts for those who need them most (the working and middle class), as well as security in the sense of portable, affordable health insurance, a new generation of workers will have opportunities in life that many in past generations have seen taken away from them in the recent past. As president, Sen. Obama will keep the needs of the American workers in perspective and strengthen the working and middle classes.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:17 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I'm sure we have all been with a friend or member of our family when they have "preached" or said a hateful or racist remark. We do not disown them nor do we agree with them. If we all disowned everybody who did not agree with our way of thinking, we would all be alone witrh no friends or family. The pastor is NOT running for office, Obama is. If you have any evidence of Obama preaching racism then you can justify questioning his motives, but Obama has never said or imp0lied anything that brands him anti American or Racist. You can only judge a man by his own words or deeds. If you condemn people by who they associate with then maybe Hillary being married to a Liar and serial adulterer. Because Bill screwed Hillary with his behaviour, does that mean that Hillary will screw America? Obama should have been more forceful in his condemnation of the Pastor but he didn't want to screw up his black vote. Racism exists everywhere and i hope that if Obama becomes President he can try to bring all races together. No one else has a hope of doing that.
Um, I might suggest that if you are planning to emigrate to the U.S., then jobs, cost-of-living, health insurance, and housing might be a bit more important to you than race relations and who's "screwed" whom in the past? You know the dollar is practically worthless right now, right?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
teatime -

While I commend you for wanting to vote for the person with the proper qualifications, I disagree with you about Obama and think he does indeed have "what it takes".

Personally I think that Hillary has what it takes too (as does McCain actually). However, I'm tired of the Republicans being in power and I'm of the belief that Hillary is the one Democrat running who is likely to fire up the Republicans and most likely to get them to get out and vote (against her) as the Republican hatred of the Clintons borders on the irrational. If she turns out to the be Democratic nominee I will vote for her, but in my opinion she is the Democrat most likely to lose.

Ken

Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiU08 View Post
This has been a central tenet of Sen. Obama's presidential candidacy. Capable, able-minded students like your son should not be straddled with a veritable mortgage coming out of college (something which is now necessary for EVERY competitive job in this country). Through a combination of mandatory service programs, green collar job creation, and tax cuts for those who need them most (the working and middle class), as well as security in the sense of portable, affordable health insurance, a new generation of workers will have opportunities in life that many in past generations have seen taken away from them in the recent past. As president, Sen. Obama will keep the needs of the American workers in perspective and strengthen the working and middle classes.
My son is studying computer engineering. You know, the field for which Bill Gates says Americans aren't qualified so he NEEDS to bring in foreign workers (read LESS EXPENSIVE) from India and Pakistan and the good Dems and Repubs in Congress have shouted, "Yes, you can!" This is a BIG concern for us and one my son and I discuss frequently, sigh. I hear Obama and the others saying they will penalize companies for taking jobs offshore but not much about cracking down on these special visas to bring foreign workers HERE.

When a kid has been studying hard for four years, it is rather insulting to tell him that there will be no jobs in his field waiting (the SAME government that convinced his generation that they should be pursuing careers in Engineering, math, science and technology!!!) and he will have to do government service for low pay or retrain for something else.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
teatime -

While I commend you for wanting to vote for the person with the proper qualifications, I disagree with you about Obama and think he does indeed have "what it takes".

Personally I think that Hillary has what it takes too (as does McCain actually). However, I'm tired of the Republicans being in power and I'm of the belief that Hillary is the one Democrat running who is likely to fire up the Republicans and most likely to get them to get out and vote (against her) as the Republican hatred of the Clintons borders on the irrational. If she turns out to the be Democratic nominee I will vote for her, but in my opinion she is the Democrat most likely to lose.

Ken
Ken, I don't care which party is in power or who's perceived as more electable or any other tosh like that. It's a diversion and just part of the political chess match. I am VERY worried about what the next president faces (to be honest, I'm suspicious of ANYONE who would want the job at this time!) and that he or she can handle the enormous tasks ahead.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Um, I might suggest that if you are planning to emigrate to the U.S., then jobs, cost-of-living, health insurance, and housing might be a bit more important to you than race relations and who's "screwed" whom in the past? You know the dollar is practically worthless right now, right?
The dollar is FAR from worthless. Lower than it's been in quite a while admittedly, but still far from worthless.

If you want to know what worthless is consider the German Mark in the late teens and early 1920's when the Mark went from roughly 4 marks to the dollar *at the begiining of WWI) to something like 4 BILLION marks to the dollar in the early 20's.

Now THAT"S worthless.

Besides, there are some distinct advantages to a weaker dollar. For one thing it make our exports far less expensive to folks overseas and the cost of offshoring US companies to foreign nations more expensive.

A high dollar is like a double-edged sword, good in some respects and bad in others - as is a low dollar.

Ken

Old 03-21-2008, 12:35 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
My wife is American and we are buying some property in the USA. Yes jobs, Housing, Health Insurance Cost of living is important to us. Race relations in any country is a volatile situation. Because i would love to see this ugly underbelly of racism irradicated does not stop me from wanting the other important issues solved too. I will be a American resident and possibly, citizen too. The Health issue, economy issue are both in a extremely bad state. they will be resolved. Unfortunately the Racism issue may not be and that is sad in a modern America.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Ken, I don't care which party is in power or who's perceived as more electable or any other tosh like that. It's a diversion and just part of the political chess match. I am VERY worried about what the next president faces (to be honest, I'm suspicious of ANYONE who would want the job at this time!) and that he or she can handle the enormous tasks ahead.
Well, as I said, I think Obama CAN handle the job and is MORE likely to be elected.
Clearly you and I disagree on that.

As far as being suspecious of anyone who wants the job of President at this time - well, in truth I know I wouldn't want run for the job at ANY time. Politics is just way too nasty nowaways. Why put yourself AND your family through that? When politics gets this devisive I tend to think that a lot of the more talent people simply stay away - that's the reason I'm so please with both McCain and Huckabee coming to Obama's defense on the whole Wright issue.

But, politics is what it is.

Ken

Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 PM

357 posts, read 891,386 times
Quote:
My son is studying computer engineering. You know, the field for which Bill Gates says Americans aren't qualified so he NEEDS to bring in foreign workers (read LESS EXPENSIVE) from India and Pakistan and the good Dems and Repubs in Congress have shouted, "Yes, you can!" This is a BIG concern for us and one my son and I discuss frequently, sigh. I hear Obama and the others saying they will penalize companies for taking jobs offshore but not much about cracking down on these special visas to bring foreign workers HERE.
Gates, in the article you are referring to, also pushed for "more investment in math and science education." Gates supports hiring American workers for these positions, and is not paying the Indian and Pakistani workers any less for their services, but there are simply not as many Americans with the skill sets necessary to keep Microsoft competitive in their software development efforts. The Gates Foundation has "has donated billions to educational programs, backed investment to raise educational standards and attract more talented people into math and science teaching." But until these efforts pay off, there is not enough supply of American workers to fill demand. If Microsoft is to be around to give the next wave of skilled, American workers jobs, it must stay competitive now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections