Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times

Advertisements

So much of the criticism of Barack Obama seems to be that because his speeches sometimes move people emotionally, many of his supporters are blinded by this "phenomenon" and are not focusing enough on Obama's "substance". People argue about the so called "experience" factor, and worry that Obama supporters are not aware of the major issues that need to be addressed. As a supporter of Barack Obama, I assure you, I am aware of the huge and very real issues and problems facing our country, and as a mother, I am extremely concerned about the future of our country and what it holds for my children. I worry about my Social Security and future medical costs, my children's job opportunities, and the possiblity that my teenage son may someday be called to serve in this horrific war.

Yes, we have major problems that need to be addressed, and urgently. But I also submit to you today, that we are a nation of people who are hurting and discouraged. If you disagree with me, if you're happy with the way things are going in this country and things are going your way, that's great. You must be one of the privileged few. But I think most people are more than a little frustrated right now. We have been fed nothing but lies and superficial bull crap for the past 8 years (and before) and are wondering just where our countrys' humanitarian foundations have gone.

Anyway, I honestly tried to watch Obama's speech in Philadelphia in it's entirety with an open mind, and a clear head. I've been very disheartened in recent days to hear some of the sound bytes of Obama's former preacher from the pulpit of his church in Chicago. I am white and was raised in an upper-class, white family in the suburbs of D.C. in the '70's and '80's. I have never been knowingly racist, and have always felt that all that "racial" stuff happened "before my time".

But when Barack started talking about his white Grandmother being scared if she saw a black man behind her when she was walking down the street, the recognition set in. I know I'm not alone in being a white women who, upon seeing a Black male behind her, clutched her purse a little tighter, walked a little faster... In spite of myself, I found myself in tears by the end of the speech, and I am NOT A CRYER!

The next day, I saw a picture of a black man who was in the audience listening to Obama's speech that day, and tears were rolling down his cheeks as Obama spoke as well. I wondered how it felt to know someone was afraid of you just because of what you looked like.

A person can be the best speech writer in the world. But for most people, an emotional reaction cannot occur without a truth being touched.

I support Barack Obama for President - now more than ever. The truth hurts - but the truth also heals. And Lord knows, our country needs a lot of healing right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,616,320 times
Problem is you cannot heal the country when you teach hate from one side.
If anyone needs healing it would be his pastor and Obama failed to even heal him from his racist mind and heart, how would he heal an entire country when people like his pastor are teaching racism of the worst kind?

We cannot heal unless we forgive and forget, its not 1950 anymore. Not even close to it. Some people need to stop living in the 1950-60's and live for today and teach kids on how they "can" become a successful person if they just give it a try. You cannot expect young kids to ever become anything in life if you continue to teach them to hate. Then they have excuses for when they are adults for being losers. No one is being held down today, no matter who you are you can find a way to success if "you" really "want" to.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
So much of the criticism of Barack Obama seems to be that because his speeches sometimes move people emotionally, many of his supporters are blinded by this "phenomenon" and are not focusing enough on Obama's "substance". People argue about the so called "experience" factor, and worry that Obama supporters are not aware of the major issues that need to be addressed. As a supporter of Barack Obama, I assure you, I am aware of the huge and very real issues and problems facing our country, and as a mother, I am extremely concerned about the future of our country and what it holds for my children. I worry about my Social Security and future medical costs, my children's job opportunities, and the possiblity that my teenage son may someday be called to serve in this horrific war.

Yes, we have major problems that need to be addressed, and urgently. But I also submit to you today, that we are a nation of people who are hurting and discouraged. If you disagree with me, if you're happy with the way things are going in this country and things are going your way, that's great. You must be one of the privileged few. But I think most people are more than a little frustrated right now. We have been fed nothing but lies and superficial bull crap for the past 8 years (and before) and are wondering just where our countrys' humanitarian foundations have gone.

Anyway, I honestly tried to watch Obama's speech in Philadelphia in it's entirety with an open mind, and a clear head. I've been very disheartened in recent days to hear some of the sound bytes of Obama's former preacher from the pulpit of his church in Chicago. I am white and was raised in an upper-class, white family in the suburbs of D.C. in the '70's and '80's. I have never been knowingly racist, and have always felt that all that "racial" stuff happened "before my time".

But when Barack started talking about his white Grandmother being scared if she saw a black man behind her when she was walking down the street, the recognition set in. I know I'm not alone in being a white women who, upon seeing a Black male behind her, clutched her purse a little tighter, walked a little faster... In spite of myself, I found myself in tears by the end of the speech, and I am NOT A CRYER!

The next day, I saw a picture of a black man who was in the audience listening to Obama's speech that day, and tears were rolling down his cheeks as Obama spoke as well. I wondered how it felt to know someone was afraid of you just because of what you looked like.

A person can be the best speech writer in the world. But for most people, an emotional reaction cannot occur without a truth being touched.

I support Barack Obama for President - now more than ever. The truth hurts - but the truth also heals. And Lord knows, our country needs a lot of healing right now.
Excellent, excellent post in support of this remarkable man. It was indeed an incredible speech.

You are a remarkable person in your own right.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Well said Montana. It seems to me people worry about an opinion of a pastor. Why make one persons opinion the duty of another. People to some degree have the ability to form and express their opinions. even if we don't like what was said. There is a saying about opinions being like a certain anatomical feature and everyone having one. Who cares? the pastor can say what he wants, it is his credibility that is suffering. I have no interest in anything he says. things to worry about would include when the president and VP indicate they want us at war with Iran before the end of their reign of terror. That is troublesome.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well said Montana. It seems to me people worry about an opinion of a pastor. Why make one persons opinion the duty of another. People to some degree have the ability to form and express their opinions. even if we don't like what was said. There is a saying about opinions being like a certain anatomical feature and everyone having one. Who cares? the pastor can say what he wants, it is his credibility that is suffering. I have no interest in anything he says.
I agree.

Ken

Old 03-21-2008, 12:49 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
So the man reads a mean speech that some one else wrote.

Wow.......that does make for a good president.

He is just as racist as his Minister. Obama sat through 20 years of that racist pig sermons and his hatred towards white people. No one can sit through that without agreeing to some extent.

Sheep go home.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
So the man reads a mean speech that some one else wrote.

Wow.......that does make for a good president.

He is just as racist as his Minister. Obama sat through 20 years of that racist pig sermons and his hatred towards white people. No one can sit through that without agreeing to some extent.

Sheep go home.
Sorry to break the news to you my racist friend, but Obama wrote that speech himself. Did you cover your ears up when they said that part?

He wasn't the editor of the Harvard Review for nothing.

Don't be in denial, believe it.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:05 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Ok so he reads and speaks well. You are voting for him based on that?

Dig down deep into your heart. Do you really really really think he can or will even try to do what he promises? Or are you just voting for the lessor of 2 evils?

Just like 2 wrongs dont make a right, 2 evils still = evil.

No politico clown has ever kept a promise. Ever. I guess you think Obama will. I bet my life he will not.

I call Sheep on this one.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:37 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
I watched the speech from here in England, with my American wife who is obviously interested/concerned over who will be the next president. I thought he was fantastic in his speech, and its delivery, and IMO just what a bitterly divided America needs. GWB would never be able to deliver such an articulation of personal thoughts, values, and ideas with such honesty and intelligence.

If he were a British candidate running for PM he would have my 100% support. I hope he is the next President.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,331,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Problem is you cannot heal the country when you teach hate from one side.
If anyone needs healing it would be his pastor and Obama failed to even heal him from his racist mind and heart, how would he heal an entire country when people like his pastor are teaching racism of the worst kind?

We cannot heal unless we forgive and forget, its not 1950 anymore. Not even close to it. Some people need to stop living in the 1950-60's and live for today and teach kids on how they "can" become a successful person if they just give it a try. You cannot expect young kids to ever become anything in life if you continue to teach them to hate. Then they have excuses for when they are adults for being losers. No one is being held down today, no matter who you are you can find a way to success if "you" really "want" to.
Absolutely!

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections