Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
LML LML started this thread

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times

Advertisements

When this election "circus" began I was so excited and happy. Finally we were going to get rid of Bush/Cheney, et al. Finally we were going to get a strong Democratic candidate who would bring common sense and common decency back. And, given the horror that has been the past 5 years, how could we lose? We had so many wonderful candidates...not only the first woman candidate and the first AA candidate but also people I have long respected such as Joe Biden, Richardson, and Edwards. Wow. What an embarassment of riches. But almost immediately the media decided that listening to everyone's ideas and stands on the issues wasn't the fun, sexy story. The only story in which they were interested was the AA candidate vs the woman candidate. Every other candidate was pushed off the stage and their ideas ignored. And so, with little to no exposure and little to no publicity, the other candidates faded from the scene. And we were left with the two candidates that the media found exciting....and immediately began to destroy. So now we have the first AA candidate who has been so marred by the racist remarks of his pastor and the first female candidate who has been so marred by her fibs and the tarnish from her husband that it is doubtful that either one will be able to win in the general election. And so what are we left with? Why the Republican candidate who's main goal seems to be to continue with the current wars and start even more wars while our young people's blood is poured into the sand and our nations wealth is poured into China's coffers through the debt we incur to continue the killing. Then the media will continue opining how terrible things are and never acknowledge the part they played in bringing it all to fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
I thought the current president was the first AA candidate? Oh, wait, you mean African-American, don't you?

Old 03-25-2008, 04:01 PM

558 posts, read 385,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
When this election "circus" began I was so excited and happy. Finally we were going to get rid of Bush/Cheney, et al. Finally we were going to get a strong Democratic candidate who would bring common sense and common decency back. And, given the horror that has been the past 5 years, how could we lose? We had so many wonderful candidates...not only the first woman candidate and the first AA candidate but also people I have long respected such as Joe Biden, Richardson, and Edwards. Wow. What an embarassment of riches. But almost immediately the media decided that listening to everyone's ideas and stands on the issues wasn't the fun, sexy story. The only story in which they were interested was the AA candidate vs the woman candidate. Every other candidate was pushed off the stage and their ideas ignored. And so, with little to no exposure and little to no publicity, the other candidates faded from the scene. And we were left with the two candidates that the media found exciting....and immediately began to destroy. So now we have the first AA candidate who has been so marred by the racist remarks of his pastor and the first female candidate who has been so marred by her fibs and the tarnish from her husband that it is doubtful that either one will be able to win in the general election. And so what are we left with? Why the Republican candidate who's main goal seems to be to continue with the current wars and start even more wars while our young people's blood is poured into the sand and our nations wealth is poured into China's coffers through the debt we incur to continue the killing. Then the media will continue opining how terrible things are and never acknowledge the part they played in bringing it all to fruition.
You make an excellent point. All this drama is fruitation of the media's desire to spike up their ratings to rack in more advertising dollars. This is better than any soap opera. It's all they talk about. None of the stations talk about the issues.

Last edited by johnherrera305; 03-25-2008 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 04:22 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
the primary season is entirely too long and after a while you almost don't even care who wins because you just want it to be over.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Hang in there, LML. Most of life still occurs without the assistance of the media. I've heard rumors that some people do without it completely.

You are powerful. You can only be oppressed with your permission. If you don't trust these people, don't give it.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
You make an excellent point. All this drama is fruitation of the media's desire to spike up their ratings to rack in more advertising dollars. This is better than any soap opera. It's all they talk about. None of the stations talk about the issues.
Oh, please. Do you really think the media dug up these stories on their own?

C'mon.

The Clintons have long been known for their politics of personal destruction, a brand that makes Karl Rove look like Mother Teresa. They have looked under every rock available looking for dirt on Barack Obama and, when they found the good Rev. Wright, they leaked it to the press through a secondary source. It's been their modus operandi for years. They supply the stories and the talking points. Their pet hack journalists write long, outraged columns to whip up public frenzy. And, voila!, they're back in the hunt for the nomination.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:35 PM

152 posts, read 335,418 times
I understand the feeling, but until people stand up and say they will not stand for this kind of treatment of the election process, it will continue. So much time is wasted on what amounts to petty foolishness. It's like some kind of game for not only the media, but some people in the political realm, and to be honest, some of us voters, too. We're told that what candidates do are "just politics" or "a good strategy" and people agree. What is that supposed to mean? Are we suddenly playing chess now? We're dealing with people's lives here.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:45 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,046 times
LML,

First election cycle??

Seriously, this is really no different than any other Presidential campaign in the past 40 years. And the Dem candidate, whoever it is, will do fine against McCain. Bush has dug a big deep hole for McCain, and he is not going to be able to climb out of it.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:52 PM

775 posts, read 579,164 times
Quote:
Blame the media? Blame the people who don't do their own analyses and who don't bother to think for themselves! That's the real problem. I can blame the media for other things but not for influencing a herd of sheep.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
As a longtime Richardson and Biden supporter, I'm pretty angry too. Not that I didn't expect it to happen- I mean, this is American- but it's my first presidential election and I had a right to be idealistic gosh darnit!

Biden is not only intelligent and articulate, but also very witty and handsome. It's sad that he never even had a chance in this election. In all the hours of CNN and MSNBC coverage of the election, I never saw any coverage on Biden.

And people think Ron Paul got shafted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections