Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM

558 posts, read 385,829 times

Advertisements

If Clinton was ahead in states won, pledged and total delegates and ahead in popular vote, would Obama still be in the race? What would the pressure on him to step aside be? Would we believe in his "fight to the finish"? What would we call Obama, if he insisted on going to the end, despite the fact it would be almost impossible to surpass Clinton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
It would depend on HOW he is conducting his campaign. If he was doing it like Huckabee was - that is, with class, humility and dignity - then there would not be a problem. If he was continuing like Hillary is, the whole Democratic establishment would be on him to drop out. Given what I know about Obama, I think he would have been welcome to stay in as long as he had enough money (to go along with his class/dignity/humility).

Old 03-25-2008, 05:38 PM

558 posts, read 385,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
It would depend on HOW he is conducting his campaign. If he was doing it like Huckabee was - that is, with class, humility and dignity - then there would not be a problem. If he was continuing like Hillary is, the whole Democratic establishment would be on him to drop out. Given what I know about Obama, I think he would have been welcome to stay in as long as he had enough money (to go along with his class/dignity/humility).
Excellent post. Good point to bring up Huckabee. He did run his entire campaign with class. Never resorted to any of the tactics seen in the democratic race.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:43 PM

775 posts, read 579,313 times
I liked Huckabee; just didn't share his views.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,600 times
I agree and liked Huckabee also. One of the main reasons I liked him is that he was a gentlemen with class and dignity like you say. If the Choice were between Huckabee and Obama, I would probably still vote Obama but it would be a tougher choice than Hillary and Obama, I don't give Hillary a second thought.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,925 times
Seems only fair to recognize that if Obama was in Hillary's shoes right now, there would be a human outcry to allow him to continue to run - based upon race alone.

Not recognizing that double standard isn't good for America in an era of fancy financial backing. If impartiality is to be a part of the process, it ought to be fair impartiality, not selective impartiality.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr90 View Post
if Obama was in Hillary's shoes right now...
People would be wondering why he was wearing heels.

OK, OK, I'll answer the question for real.

Maybe it was growing up in Hawaii, but Obama has a knack for surfing a wave and then knowing when the ride is over. So if he had been in HRC's shoes he would have dropped out on a high note, after winning either WV or KY. Politically, that would have been the primo exit opportunity.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:21 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
If Clinton was ahead in states won, pledged and total delegates and ahead in popular vote, would Obama still be in the race? What would the pressure on him to step aside be? Would we believe in his "fight to the finish"? What would we call Obama, if he insisted on going to the end, despite the fact it would be almost impossible to surpass Clinton?
I think Obama would have quite the race when it became evident that he mathematically could not win. He would not have become unglued about MI and FL because he agreed to their stance before the primaries started. He would've thrown his support for the frontrunner Clinton. The man represents the utmost of class, integrity, and dignity. This is an easy question.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:25 PM

289 posts, read 362,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I think Obama would have quite the race when it became evident that he mathematically could not win. He would not have become unglued about MI and FL because he agreed to their stance before the primaries started. He would've thrown his support for the frontrunner Clinton. The man represents the utmost of class, integrity, and dignity. This is an easy question.
Well Said Alexus. I agree with you 100%. Hillary is ruining her chances now to be offered anything in the political field IMO. There is no point after June 3rd for her to continue but I have a sick feeling she will do just that.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:28 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Obama was a big underdog when this began and it would have been expected for him to be DEFEATED and he could have long since exited with grace and the ability to build at his young age for the future. He would have been congratulated for having done as well as he did and people would be calling him up and coming still.

Hillary oh well you know the deal:
Expected to win
Corronation
Older
At Prime
How much time left for a future
Embarrassment
How do you explain
Under Achieved
Needing to convince not over the hill

Strawberries in season to stale prune comparison. Obama would have been able to exit with pride in place for over achieving. Hillary did she choke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections