Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 08:34 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Those of us who live in gerrymandered states - red states - you would be a fool to guess how I vote.
So when I drive through my neighborhood and see liberal lawnsigns probably at a rate of 19 to 1 in favor of Bolsheviks, I am a fool to think this zip code is overwhelmingly Bolshevik?

Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 11:14 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
So when I drive through my neighborhood and see liberal lawnsigns probably at a rate of 19 to 1 in favor of Bolsheviks, I am a fool to think this zip code is overwhelmingly Bolshevik?

Okay.
Good lord what a comment. I live in a liberal state and we have no lawnsigns all over the place.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:16 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
It was never like this before. You would always vote on the Tuesday of the election, period.

I can understand if you're military or have a legitimate excuse, but this pre-Tuesday voting craze is stupid.

I'd rather see it a National holiday or something, but I DO NOT LIKE IT.

I also think there is more chances that election can be tampered with/manipulated.
I voted from my apartment in Azerbaijan...I like it but agree there is a risk of fraud that should be addressed.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:37 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Yes, it was you.

America is no longer. 200 years from now...god I wonder what will even be left of it.

We just know the democrats are as sleazy as it gets when it comes to ethics involved in politics.

As I said, the Franken Seat was STOLEN (literally, proven to be stolen as a result of manipulation - here is the link again for you in case you missed it https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/y...by-312-ballots). Why Minnesotans (and Americans) didn't literally march on Washington until that thief (who was the deciding vote on National and International policy on occasion) was thrown out (or in prison) just goes to show you the apathy of Americans who have been kicked around by politicians for 50 years now is at an all-time high.
If you really want to see sleazy, go back to the Florida vote between Bush and Gore. In my view, Bush was not elected, he was appointed by the Supreme Court. Or you can go around in many states and see the voter suppression and gerrymandering done by Republicans, and that will be a good example of stolen elections.

I think we need to rethink voting mechanics. Redistricting should be done by impartial, no-partisan bodies, and elections should be kept as neutral as possible, and disqualifying votes should be looked at as something highly undesirable, rare, and requiring proof. I'm not sure how to do that - just stating a goal. As long as one or the other party can force an election to go their way, people will not be satisfied with the results.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:50 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,229 times
I argued this week that given the people’s tendencies these days towards immediate gratification that the laws be changed on absentee ballots starting in 2020 or 2022. Make it that they must be postmarked 7 days before Election Day. If not, they aren’t valid.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
. I live in a liberal state and we have no lawnsigns all over the place.
Meaning?...

Old 11-10-2018, 01:34 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
It was never like this before. You would always vote on the Tuesday of the election, period.

I can understand if you're military or have a legitimate excuse, but this pre-Tuesday voting craze is stupid.

I'd rather see it a National holiday or something, but I DO NOT LIKE IT.

I also think there is more chances that election can be tampered with/manipulated.

You do realize that absentee voting and early voting are two distinctly different things, right?

Old 11-10-2018, 03:32 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
Quote:
Meaning?...
Actually here in redstate Utah - people who are not Republican don't put signs out. They don't want their property damaged by the wingnuts.

I worked in government and I have never put a sign out.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Actually here in redstate Utah - people who are not Republican don't put signs out. They don't want their property damaged by the wingnuts.

I worked in government and I have never put a sign out.
You know that's exactly how I feel about being in the belly of communist Minnesota. It is an almost certainty that my car would be burned to the ground if I put a Trump sticker on like I'd like to.

Strange how that is.

And I bet tmost of liberals would be completely fine with wing nuts damaging a Trump supporter's property.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
They'd have to be opening all ballots to tell how the people voted.

Vote by mail fraud, if there is any, is in the onesie-twosie mode "I think I will vote Grandma's ballot for her" - except that Grandma is the member of the family most likely to vote.

In my state, they also check signatures on the interior envelope against the one on file. Anything that isn't at least close is set aside (which is why you vote early so that you can see if there has been a problem with your ballot).

A postal worker couldn't tell for sure about the vote of a mail-in ballot without opening it but certain areas are known to be predominantly Rep or Dem. So if you threw away a bunch of ballots from a zipcode that is predominantly GOP you will surely be throwing away some Dem votes but the net result would help Dems.

It wouldn't be hard to vote on behalf of another that did not vote. The key element is knowing that someone did not vote. Faking a signature to be reasonably close isn't hard, if you have access to an authentic signature.

I have no objections to absentee voting but I object to absentee votes being discovered and counted after election day, because by then the precincts know who did not vote, thus making false ballots much easier to do. I'd like to see some voter audits in these contested areas. Let's take a precinct registration, contact the voters that it says voted, and see if they can affirm the date and time that they voted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections