Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times

Advertisements

OK, did a search and, apparently, you CAN donate money to the federal government. However, it cannot be designated for any purpose and must be unconditional. It's not like you can pay for a program or ask for it to offset the deficit. Ha, I wouldn't like to think that my money went for some purpose that I totally oppose!

Gifts to the United States Government: Questions and Answers: Financial Management Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 02:57 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasMetaphor View Post
It is so pathetic to see those who still truly believe in and follow Hilary Clinton, as all she cares about is power and money. In fact now it has been revealed that the 10+ million they did give to charity was to The Clinton Foundation! Figure that!

As the average American Family Income is only about 55K annually, how much do you really believe Hilary cares about our average Guys & Gals?
Apparenty the people of OH and PA believe so. Even Cookiemeister, Teatime, and Bentlebee believe so. Thank God i don't share these beliefs.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM

374 posts, read 231,521 times
I say good for her! $100 mil plus..that's awesome! Wish I could make that money. However, a person who makes that kind of money, who's husband is an ex president, can relate to me? I don't think she does. Not with her lifestyle.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
OK, did a search and, apparently, you CAN donate money to the federal government. However, it cannot be designated for any purpose and must be unconditional. It's not like you can pay for a program or ask for it to offset the deficit. Ha, I wouldn't like to think that my money went for some purpose that I totally oppose!

Gifts to the United States Government: Questions and Answers: Financial Management Service
You beat me to it... yes as you see it is possible. Another way is not to take deductions or tax credits on your tax return.

And with regard to not being able to direct it... it's fair... I can't direct my tax dollars either. That's exactly why I feel we need to put the emphasis on private charities... there's another thead going on in the main Politics forum, so I won't continue my rant in here.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:53 PM

374 posts, read 231,521 times
Can the fact the Clintons were able to build such personal wealth a sign they can do the same for US?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Can the fact the Clintons were able to build such personal wealth a sign they can do the same for US?
lol ..well, apparently Bill was fond of renting out the Lincoln bedroom for campaign donations.. you think Hillary should do that too, but only this time to donate toward the war effort and mortgage interest relief? Maybe she should charge Congress a fee for her Sate of Union addresses?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Apparenty the people of OH and PA believe so. Even Cookiemeister, Teatime, and Bentlebee believe so. Thank God i don't share these beliefs.
Nice try, but the Clinton Foundation is just the charity that they use to disperse money to causes, just as the Clinton Global Initiative Fund is Bill's charity which takes money and redistributes to projects they see as worthwhile. I believe Bill Gates does the same thing...they are a little more involved in charity than whipping off a check to K.I.D.S to make amends with voters.

Looked for the Obama fund or anything he has done remotely worthwhile in charity..hmmmm should I keep looking and waste my night searching for something that does not exist?

After looking at the Rezco money (which he had to donate to charity to save his a$$, this little gem is about the only "news": Obama helped ex-boss get $1 mil. from charity :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: The Watchdogs (http://www.suntimes.com/news/watchdogs/672314,CST-NWS-watchdog29.article - broken link) )

Oh well.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,221 times
Oh, and I almost forgot: TAXES PAID BY CLINTONS: $33,783,507
AFTER TAX EARNINGS: $57,157,297
Divided by 7 years: 8 million dollars income per year.

I'm sure there are a lot wealthier people in the US...I know a few doctors and lawyers and even a veternarian who pull down at least half that after taxes.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:28 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
The bulk of the Clinton's wealth came after Bill left office. And that is normal for a former US president. It's all about speeches and book deals. Even Obama has benefited from his lucrative book deals.

The selling of the ex-presidency - CNN.com

Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Oh, and I almost forgot: TAXES PAID BY CLINTONS: $33,783,507
AFTER TAX EARNINGS: $57,157,297
Divided by 7 years: 8 million dollars income per year.

I'm sure there are a lot wealthier people in the US...I know a few doctors and lawyers and even a veternarian who pull down at least half that after taxes.
But they are not running for President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections