Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 03:04 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post

Frankly, deplorables need to be sent back to the gutters.

And this is why this plan will fail. It's the Democrat's utter contempt, intolerance, and shear hate towards 10s of millions of their fellow Americans simply because of how they vote, that dooms the Democrats to another Presidential loss come 2020.

Remember it's you guys who elevated one of the most crooked politicians to sainthood only because she checked off all your boxes. So blinded by this you were convinced she had to win. And when she failed, you turned your condemnation to the voters instead of honestly looking at why she failed.

Your comments bear this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 03:14 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,292,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And this is why this plan will fail. It's the Democrat's utter contempt, intolerance, and shear hate towards 10s of millions of their fellow Americans simply because of how they vote, that dooms the Democrats to another Presidential loss come 2020.

Remember it's you guys who elevated one of the most crooked politicians to sainthood only because she checked off all your boxes. So blinded by this you were convinced she had to win. And when she failed, you turned your condemnation to the voters instead of honestly looking at why she failed.

As has been explained numerous times on this board, deplorables are deplorable not because of how they vote, but because of their actions and twisted (bigoted) beliefs.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Spot on, WK. And the response your comment received is one more example of how the left just truly doesn't get it.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:42 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And I saw Elvis yesterday.
You probably think George Will, Mary Matalin and even George Conway are Democrats. There are many of us former Republicans (and current R's) that think Trump is horrible for the country.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:04 AM

3,341 posts, read 2,143,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
If the Democrats would abandon the more far-left proclivities they've adopted, court the Independent vote, and reclaim the goal of fighting for the working and lower-middle classes, I don't see any reason why they couldn't expect to realize victory. Instead, however, it seems they will continue to favor becoming increasingly radicalized as though the orange weasel occupying the oval office wasn't subject to term limits. Screaming "racist," "Nazi," "Hitler," and otherwise lambasting even the slightest dissent of opinion as intrinsically evil is symptomatic of mental disorder. Popular political and media figures on the left suggesting that mere words ought to be met with violent reprisal at rate and degree worse than even Trump has managed makes these folks, and their sympathizers, look even worse than man for whom they observe such unbridled disdain.

There are many of us who would relish a sane candidate to defeat Trump in 2020. That being said, nominating a radical SJW type who appears willing to both entertain policies that run afoul of some of our Constitutionally enshrined rights and potentially cause hyperinflation is a nonstarter when considering the health of our nation in the long-term, and ultimately serves to make Trump appear far more benign than he actually is. I didn't vote for him in 2016 and have no desire to do so in 2020. So please, don't force myself and many others to vomit at our polling places as we vote against somebody like I've described above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Who do you suggest?

Because 'more of the same' doesn't appear to be a winning ticket.

I'm unsure regarding any realistic solution to be honest. There are few, if any, moderate democrats left in the US Congress, especially with any name recognition.

I suppose, as an outside-of-the-box idea, I think it'd be pretty interesting to see Senator Tulsi Gabbard (D) convince Governor Larry Hogan of Maryland (R) to run with her. The shock value (Hogan is a Centrist-Republican with a 70% approval rating in a state where democrats outnumber republicans 2-to-1), could potentially upend traditional politics as we know it. The best part about such a blindside would be that the math should technically favor a win for the ticket while marginalizing the most extreme elements of either side of the political aisle, and that's a goal we should be united in as Americans. Both sides give ground in such a scenario, and that necessarily changes the prospects of Congressional elections moving forward. A potentially safer, albeit imperfect solution begetting a resetting of the game, and I think most would sleep better at night not worrying about either the "grab 'em by the *****" or "there's a racist behind every tree" crowds.

*shrugs* just a random thought, of course.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:35 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,669,340 times
So much anti Yrump votes on this board.

But unfortunately it all comes down to economy. If people have jobs, the unemployment is low and the stock market and retirement accounts are up then Trump will get re-elected. People will vote for the incumbent if the economy is good. Bill Clinton taught us that.

If the economy and employment is in a tailspin Trump will not get re-elected.

It is that simple.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Nazis, white nationalists, and the like are feeling quite empowered in our nation right now. It’s scary as hell! Maybe it doesn’t impact you, but it does many others.

That’s not to mention misogynists, abusers, and others of that ilk. These people are running the nation, and we can’t go on like this.

Deplorables, as HRC called them.

Beyond that, Trump is just a big idiot, and he is destroying our standing and reputation.

If you’re cool with that, I expect you to keep supporting him. And, honestly, my thread isn’t directed at you, anyway. (I’m not saying you can’t post. I’m just saying I am not targeting you.)
I am sorry, but you still haven't said what :they" have done that make them horrible people. I do not support Trumps personality or attitude but I do support all of what he has done or tried to do and there is nothing that he has done that comes close to Natzism. I am assuming you are not old enough to remember when Hitler was still alive. If you were you would not be using the term.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
As has been explained numerous times on this board, deplorables are deplorable not because of how they vote, but because of their actions and twisted (bigoted) beliefs.
and bigotry only takes place on one side? Wow are you naive or you keep your head in the sand.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:58 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
So much anti Yrump votes on this board.

But unfortunately it all comes down to economy. If people have jobs, the unemployment is low and the stock market and retirement accounts are up then Trump will get re-elected. People will vote for the incumbent if the economy is good. Bill Clinton taught us that.

If the economy and employment is in a tailspin Trump will not get re-elected.

It is that simple.
Historically, the economy is a HUGE part of it. But 2020 will be somewhat different because Trump is such a polarizing figure.

Still Trump does has some aces up his sleeves.

- By 2020 all the Doomsday crying rhetoric, white people and Republicans are Nazis, KKK, Russians, etc. will be getting old and increasingly less effective as it will be seen at the very least as exaggerated if not outright foolish.

- The public will be getting used to Trump's way of constant changes, gaffes, name calling, general weirdness and keeping the Beltway on edge. They will never like it but by 2020 they will know the world is not coming to an end.

- The trade deals will be renegotiated, there will be newly opened factories that Trump will be able to visit in key states for the election. With the economy for the middle class improving and wages rising for the first time in years, some working class minority voters will cross over to join white working class voters by voting for Trump.

- Trump will take over a major Democratic policy issue, most likely health care, with his own ideas for reform. He will mention that the Democrats, despite having controlled the government for most of the last 80+ years, have failed to come up with a good fix for the healthcare system since the New Deal.

- The Democrats will most likely have a long primary season with many candidates. The party will likely move further to the left. The resulting candidate may drive more Independents and even some Democrats to Trump in 2020.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
You probably think George Will, Mary Matalin and even George Conway are Democrats. There are many of us former Republicans (and current R's) that think Trump is horrible for the country.
I doubt anyone who follows politics at all thinks Conway is a democrat. but he isn't a Republican either, he is an independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections