Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times

Advertisements

I would rather gauge my eyes out with a kitchen knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Well, at a bit over half-way through the debate, I'd say that so far Hillary is doing much better than Obama. She'd been more clear, more concise and more smooth.

The questions have been VERY tough - on both candidates, but probably a bit more so on Obama - who in response has had more air time.

Ken

Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I tried that initially but it confused the heck out of me. I couldn't get all of them from one time zone for some reason! I had two from NY and two from LA and I live in the central time zone so I was going nuts trying to figure out what was on and when! LOL, the rabbit ears are easier and free! I just don't often check the TV listings to find out what's on network, though.
They programmed it wrong...that's exactly what happened to me. They had to come back out and changed some things on the receiver.

Also what they can do is delete the channels that you are not eigible to get so you won't get confused at looking at all of the channels that are not available to you.

Also with the new boxes, in the guide the channels that you don't get are shaded in a different color to releive confusion.

Maybe you should try it again to see if they get it right...you'll definitely have much better quality than rabbit ears

Old 04-16-2008, 10:54 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Well, the debate is now over and I'll stick with my previous observation that I think Hillary performed much better than Obama. He seemed a bit rattled and disjointed. Some of hiis content was pretty good (though not as good as Hillary's) but his presentation was not nearly as good as in some of the previous debates.

All in all I think the moderators did a TERRIFIC job. The questions were brutal - no holds barred and no quarter given.

A worthwhile debate in my opinion that I would think would help Hillary considerably in the upcoming primary.

Ken

Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,189 times
That was the first debate that i think they asked great questions. Obama seemed to dodge a lot of questions. As for Clinton n the scandal questions she lit into him. Why didn't he go after her? He has been all week then he passed on her Bosnia. As a conservative Obama seemed to say the same thing on Rev Right did not ans. the question. As for the Farrikon (sp) question very disappointed. Hillary actual;y admitted to making up a story that was nice for a change.

Fundamentally I disagree with them but Hillary outlined her polices more and delivered better.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
I must admit that I really havent been following too closely the democrats in this race since I have a full on supporter of McCain, but Senator Obama is very very impressive. I watched the debate from beginning to end and think that (although I will be voting for McCain) America would NOT be worse off with either Sen. Clinton or Sen. Obama in the White House. This really is a great time in America.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,083 times
As a Obama supporter sometimes I am partial on who I support in these debates so I always refer to what people on CNN have to say. Candy Krowley and David Gergen, former Clinton advisor, are two excellent analyst who are very 'nonpartial' and make comments negative and positive on both sides. David was actually very disappointed in the way Hillary has answered several questions. When the "bitter" comment came up and the old Rev. Wright story came up, he sound she again sounded like she was attacking and continuing with negative comments. He felt this is a large mistake and has hurt her positive ratings going negative and that she would have been better off staying positive and not sound like she is still attacking Obama. There was one very important issue he mentioned which was the electability question. They pushed her to answer, Is Obama electable? and she finally answered yes, yes, yes. David said this is contrary to what she has been telling the super delegates to persuade them, which will again, be perceived as she is lying and just saying he was unelectable so they will support her. She will not be able to use that argument to the super delegates any longer. Personally, I don't think anyone 'won' the debate and I don't think after watching the debate it would sway anyone one any way or the other.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:56 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
As a Obama supporter sometimes I am partial on who I support in these debates so I always refer to what people on CNN have to say. Candy Krowley and David Gergen, former Clinton advisor, are two excellent analyst who are very 'nonpartial' and make comments negative and positive on both sides. David was actually very disappointed in the way Hillary has answered several questions. When the "bitter" comment came up and the old Rev. Wright story came up, he sound she again sounded like she was attacking and continuing with negative comments. He felt this is a large mistake and has hurt her positive ratings going negative and that she would have been better off staying positive and not sound like she is still attacking Obama. There was one very important issue he mentioned which was the electability question. They pushed her to answer, Is Obama electable? and she finally answered yes, yes, yes. David said this is contrary to what she has been telling the super delegates to persuade them, which will again, be perceived as she is lying and just saying he was unelectable so they will support her. She will not be able to use that argument to the super delegates any longer. Personally, I don't think anyone 'won' the debate and I don't think after watching the debate it would sway anyone one any way or the other.
Fox picked about 30 dems to watch it and using a keypad rate their responses. You are right outta all that were siting there the debate swayed a Clinton supporter to Obama and a single Obama supporter to Clinton. But quite a few said they would vote for McCain if their nominee lost. They said because he is moderate and trustworthy. Should be an interesting election.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:26 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
I thought the moderators were more brutal on Obama (for some odd reason), but he held his own considering that a single misplaced word would have the media and Hillary in a maniacal state of yet another spin to attack this great man's character. Everyone is obviously looking for a reason to give Hillary an in, which I think it pathetic. Yet Obama weathered the storm. Nothing new from desperate Hillary. She had the moderators on her side like a bunch of pack wolves, but Obama did well. Dignified, cool under pressure, agile in avoiding the traps. Natural, open, competent, confident, and Presidential.

Hillary is beginning to look to me like she doesn't belong in the same room, on the same stage as Obama. She's is wearing the aura of a loser increasingly with ease.

Edge Obama.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
So far, Hillary has publically announced that Obama can Beat McCain. She has also stated, Obama will have her full support, should he be the nominee.
I heard Hillary say that she has the better chance to beat Obama and watching it I know she was way better. I'm not a dem. but wanted to watch to see who was better and Obama couldn't give straight answers or started to stutter and was asked over and over to answer the question. So bye bye Obama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections