Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:26 AM

439 posts, read 605,783 times

Advertisements

Hillary says YES YES YES to the question whether Obama could win against MCcain in November. She also stated that she would be behind him if she did not get the nom. She basically came out and stated that she lied about Bosnia. Barack was drilled on his paster and bitter comments. Hillary tired to take advantage but it came up flat I thought. She also tried to bring up someone that gave Barack 200.00 back in the 90's he sat on a board with this guy who was involved or spoke up on a bombing 40 years ago. Barack came back and stated that she can not hold this against him as he was 8 years old when this took place. He also stated that Bill pardoned 2 of the others before he left the Whitehouse for the same crime.

I was disappointed that more time was not spend on the Important issues. People in the crowd seemed to look tired. Clinton states no matter what she will bring the troops home even if its means giving up all the progress that has been made. Obama basically said the same thing and both pledged to do so. Obama left a small window opened and stated that he would take under consideration what the Advisors would tell him but both are very strong in ending the war. Really nothing new here. I have to admit I was happy when it finally was over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,602 times
It seemed like a hit job on the part of ABC news. No real issues discussed.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:39 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,527 times
My wife and I watched with 2 other couples on their new HD big screen.

There are some subtle things you notice on a high definition big screen. First I had never really taken notice of how skinny Obama is. He is very thin. My neighbor said that being on the campaign trail has caused him to lose weight. From his physical appearence you would think he is from a third world country. My other neighbor said we need to divert some of that food going to starving people in Africa into Obama's belly. The second thing I noticed about Obama in HD is that his lips are purple! I don't know if it was makeup or the lighting but his lips were plum colored. My smart azz neighbor said Obama drank a big glass of Grape Kool-Aide.

Hillary in HD is pretty wrinkled, especially around the jowls. She looked a little older than on regular TV. My smart azz neighbor said she needed a facelift, a boob job and liposuction. I can't for the life of me imagine Hillary as a hottie.

Ok, enough about first observations. On to the debate.

I thought the moderators were tough on both candidates. Hillary seemed better prepared. Obama stumbled and fumbled and was caught off guard when questioned about Rev. Wright. He tried to avoid answering but Charlie Gibson called him on it and told him people wanted an answer. Again Obama tap danced around it and avoided answering it. Hillary said she would have left the church. That's what 99% of Americans would do.

Obama was asked about his ties to Weatherman terrorist William Ayers who led a group that bombed the Pentagon and other buildings in Washington and other large citites. Obama stumbled out that "he is a guy in my neighborhood" and "I was 8 years old when that happened" in avoiding disclosing his ties with Ayers who favors the violent overthrow of US Democracy.

Obama was questioned about his constantly changing position on gun control. Stephanopoulos read from Obama's 2006 website in which he stated that he supported cities having the right to ban ownership of guns within their boundries. Then he quoted from Obama's present website that says that he supports the second admendment and the right of citizens to bear arms. Then he read from a position paper that Obama wrote when he was in the Illinois Legislature. In it he said he favored a ban on the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns. Obama didn't know what to say. It was if he had been caught in a lie. He shuffled a paper around, sighed deeply and began a ramble that ended with him saying that he was not in favor of any stricter gun control measures at this time.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 AM

540 posts, read 962,612 times
As a Republican watching, I thought that they both performed well in the debate. The moderators didn't let them off the hook and made it difficult on bothe candidates.

I think they both made a couple unequivicol statements that will come back to haunt them. Their promise to pull troops out in a specific time frame regardless of what their miltary advisors recommend is going to hurt them in the general election.

If either one wins the general election, their promise to in no way shape or form increase taxes on the middle class is going to bite them in the rear. There is no way they can pay for all of their programs in the short term without raising everybody's taxes - and they've already said that they will increase the capital gains tax, which will hit a lot of middle income people.

The one area that I thought Hillary beat out Obama was on Iran. She detailed that she would engage with them - but at a low diplomatic level first. It was a nice shot at Obama - I wouldn't be surprised to see him invite Ahmadinejad into the White House.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:56 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Hey! That is not nice!
Afterall then what would Obama girl do? She wouldn't be able to vote for her man..
I would console her.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
From what I've been reading, I'm glad I didn't watch.

From Philly.com (broken link)

"By so badly botching arguably the most critical debate of such an important election, in a time of both war and economic misery, you disgraced the American voters, and in fact even disgraced democracy itself"

... and that is just one example.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
You really are obnoxious in your support of Obama and most of what you say makes no sense and is just riduculous. Blindly supporting someone without being able to see all the candidates with an open mind does not make you superior....it makes you quite inferior actually.
Ah, but his vote cancels out yours. That's the way Democracy works.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:11 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
According to ABC poll, Obama won the debate by a BIG margin

OBAMA - 29,956 votes
Hillary - 10,996
It was a tie - 3,643
According to Drudge Obama won the debate as well:

Obama-72,200 59%
Clinton-51,217 41%

Interesting perspective given here stating that debate watchers perceived an injustice in the way the mods went after Obama. That injustice actually works in Obama's favor as voters don't like to see that.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:18 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
That was the first debate that i think they asked great questions. Obama seemed to dodge a lot of questions. As for Clinton n the scandal questions she lit into him. Why didn't he go after her? He has been all week then he passed on her Bosnia. As a conservative Obama seemed to say the same thing on Rev Right did not ans. the question. As for the Farrikon (sp) question very disappointed. Hillary actual;y admitted to making up a story that was nice for a change.

Fundamentally I disagree with them but Hillary outlined her polices more and delivered better.
I wasn't disappointed in Obama's questions about his relationships. I agree that at this point those questions are distractions, I don't care what church he goes to or who the pastor of the church is - when is the war going to end? I have two cousins overseas right now that I would love to see home. I was a little disappointed at the answer about the tax cuts because I didn't understand it and one of the things I've liked most about Barack is that I was able to understand the majority of what he says.

As for Hilary admitting that she lied - that was the most long winded explanation I've ever heard in my life and she repeated herself at least 3 times. I would have had a lot more respect for her if she had just stated she did give out some inaccurate information and moved on. All that double talking got on my nerves. She found a 100 different ways to say "I lied" and that makes me even more distrustful of her. Not that I voted for her anyway

Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,060 times
I watched with my non citizen husband and he was appalled at the lack of substance vs personality quizzes. The candidates both looked bad, but that is because the moderators were stuck on the silly questions. Where did they have to go to find someone to ask about the flag pin? I am sitting here wanting to know what they plan for Afghanistan, what their stand is on the Tibetan problems, where they stand on our Relationship with India and African nations, how they plan to move us forward in diplomacy and intelligence gathering. But our esteemed press asks about old news (for both candidates) and leaves us with nothing more than a gossip hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections