Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Time will tell when her handlers are tossed. We got it that she thinks America stinks.
Being proud of your country doesn't mean you have to be proud of the system. Michelle Obama like many other Americans is fed up with the system, not the land or the people. So called "patriots" seem to get confused between love of country and complete conformity to whatever their system of government tells them to say or do. The Government is not America. The people, the culture, the land is America. And we should all be displaying at least a little displeasure with the current state of our union. I am glad she at least had the guts to speak her mind, even if it did get her into some political trouble. If more of us would speak against the accepted norms more good would get done in this country. Remember, freedom of speech is one of our most sacred rights. So why does everyone get their panties in a bunch every time someone exercises that right. If what they say doesn't conform to the social norms they are attacked and humiliated. Thus neutralizing their efforts towards change. And that is the point, isn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:19 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If she's a "huge liability", why would they put her front and center on the View?
For the very reason you state ... to change that "view". And it was a brilliant move. She was extraordinary start to finish. I'm sure she won a lot of women over (not this woman). For me it's too little too late.

Even the dress! In case we didn't see it, she pointed it out. Almost a "Sex and the City" number.

But I'll give her this: She looked lovely, she spoke well, she covered her earlier comments brilliantly and she gets big points for today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Laura Bush got a very different message than you did, wonder why that is.
Laura Bush is a lady.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:32 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
'Of course I love my country' -- Michelle Obama - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Way to go Mrs. Obama.
Two points. First, whether she loves her country was never the issue. She said this was the first time that she was PROUD of her country. I don't think she's ever retracted that statement. Secondly, I'm sure Lenin and Stalin and Hitler loved their country, too. They loved their country to pieces. I'm just afraid that that is the kind of love of country that the Obamas have for America.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:44 PM

JimMe, she never retracted the statement but today on The View she sort of corrected it, talked around it.

They showed a clip of her saying it (not the clip I've seen). In this clip she said for the first time in her adult life she was really proud of her country. I've not seen the word "really" in there before, but it was in the clip we saw today.

She clarified that what she was really talking about was for the first time she was really proud of politics in her country. She further said that she has always been proud of her country.

I'm not buying any of it, but this is the explanation she offered today.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:49 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I actually was impressed by her. This was the first time I didn't get the feeling that she was being negative. Quite positive, funny, and very pretty. If she is always like this in front of groups, she could really help Barack. Came across as a very good role model for young girls and women.

Now don't everybody pass out at once that I said that. I try to keep an open mind and I will give props where they are due.
I'm glad you liked her appearance. Those of us who have followed her, and have listened to her speak and know how she conducts herself during interviews (beyond what has been spoon-fed to us by FoxNews and the National Review) know her as a warm, kind and intelligent lady.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:54 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Being proud of your country doesn't mean you have to be proud of the system. Michelle Obama like many other Americans is fed up with the system, not the land or the people. So called "patriots" seem to get confused between love of country and complete conformity to whatever their system of government tells them to say or do. The Government is not America. The people, the culture, the land is America. And we should all be displaying at least a little displeasure with the current state of our union. I am glad she at least had the guts to speak her mind, even if it did get her into some political trouble. If more of us would speak against the accepted norms more good would get done in this country. Remember, freedom of speech is one of our most sacred rights. So why does everyone get their panties in a bunch every time someone exercises that right. If what they say doesn't conform to the social norms they are attacked and humiliated. Thus neutralizing their efforts towards change. And that is the point, isn't it.
It would be interesting to see if those who follow this doctrine to criticize an Obama presidency would still be considered "patriotic" or if we'd be excoriated for "hate speech". That designation seems to be contingent on who's speaking, and against whom. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism, until and unless a conservative is doing the dissenting. Then it becomes wrong somehow.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
It would be interesting to see if those who follow this doctrine to criticize an Obama presidency would still be considered "patriotic" or if we'd be excoriated for "hate speech". That designation seems to be contingent on who's speaking, and against whom. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism, until and unless a conservative is doing the dissenting. Then it becomes wrong somehow.
Please give an example of a conservative's dissent or criticism excoriated as "hate speech."

Old 06-18-2008, 03:55 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,423 times
How bad is it when they have now hired help to tell this moron how and what to say and when to say it.

She can run but she cannot hide.

And no, she doesnt love America, she lied and said that only after the fact.

She is getting potty trained on what to say, lets see if it helps her.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:58 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post

You sound like you know her personal and you can speak and explain for her. I haven't heard her explain the "for the first time proud of my country" sentence and nobody else than her should have explained it after it was said, not weeks later and have experts telling her what to say.

Obama is also all the time late with his excuses and explanations and "I didn't know the man this way" (or something like that).....bla bla bla. Why can't they say the first time how the mean it, or that is probable what the believe and the rest is twisting to get it political right.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
............That designation seems to be contingent on who's speaking, and against whom. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism, until and unless a conservative is doing the dissenting. Then it becomes wrong somehow.
This is so true.

And I'm constantly amazed at how threatened Left leaning Liberals are by Fox News. I guess they feel uncomfortable when both sides are presented. Over the years they became so comfy with the Left leaning networks that they don't quite know how to handle a fair debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
.............. I haven't heard her explain the "for the first time proud of my country" sentence and nobody else than her should have explained it after it was said, not weeks later and have experts telling her what to say.
She did explain it today on The View ... not well and I don't believe her ... but she did (finally) explain. She said she was referring to the political side; that she had not been proud of her country's politics until now because "for the first time" she is seeing people getting involved and excited in the campaign ... the suggestion being, I'm guessing, that this is because of Obama.

The View ladies ate it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections