Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
im not really sure how to respond to this. i'm not afraid of anything, but there are a lot of laws on the books that may be unconstitutional. so, i'm really not sure where youre going with this. i think its unconstitutional that a man cant grow a pot plant in his basement and smoke it in his house. where does it say in the constitution that a man shouldnt be allowed to do that?

if you dont mind, maybe you can answer me this: what is it that you are afraid of? under liberal Justices, what kinds of laws do you fear may be enacted or repealed?
You might not agree with the govt. outlawing pot, but they have for many years. I am sure it was through Congress and State govt. and not judges.
Whether you grow pot or not is not addressed in the Constitution or Amendments to it.

I believe in strict interpretation of the Constitution and the Amendments to it. Start with the Bill of Rights. I want nothing changed; however, many people have tried to trash the Second Amendment and today it was upheld as an individual right by the Supreme Court. Why did it have to get there to be upheld? Activist judges and their rulings. I find things like that more important than whether you think it should be a right to grow pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times
btw, just to let people know where i'm coming from, personally, i support the flat tax. meaning, everyone pays the same percent. if you're on welfare, that gets taxed too. that seems to be the fairest way to do things.

and if you don't pay taxes, you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
You might not agree with the govt. outlawing pot, but they have for many years. I am sure it was through Congress and State govt. and not judges.
Whether you grow pot or not is not addressed in the Constitution or Amendments to it.

I beleive in strict interpretation of the Constitution and the Amendments to it. Start with Free Speech.
okay, free speech. what about it? personally, i'm for it.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post

I believe in strict interpretation of the Constitution and the Amendments to it. Start with the Bill of Rights. I want nothing changed; however, many people have tried to trash the Second Amendment and today it was upheld as an individual right by the Supreme Court. Why did it have to get there to be upheld? Activist judges and their rulings. I find things like that more important than whether you think it should be a right to grow pot.
oh. you changed it from Free Speech to the Bill of Rights. i take it you didnt like where this was going. okay, so the Bill of Rights then. and the Ammendments. the Ammendments are there to add rights not outlined in the constitution, btw. i'm not for taking away anyones rights. i'm for gun ownership. i dont even smoke pot. i'm just saying that a lot of resources and tax dollars are spent trying to keep people from smoking it (liberty and the pursuit of happiness) and punishing those who possess and distribute it.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:03 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Because he's a better choice compared to our other option. That sums it up for me, I'm not extremely thrilled with the thought of McCain as President either, but for me it comes down to voting for the best man or woman for the job. And McCain fits that bill in my opinion at least in terms of this election.

Four years from now who knows, but for 2008 that's the biggest reason why I want to see him win.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:31 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
If another opinion helps, while I expect both McCain and Obama to acquiesce to continuing the country's suicidal monetary policies, with all its implications for the mass mis-allocation of resources, Obama is more likely to add suicidal fiscal policies on top of that.

The biggest drain on the treasury are social security and health care. The people choose not to address the social security issue, so we have now entered a period of high inflation as the solution, and the health care proposals are half-baked, would only add to the hodgepodge, and most of them will only provide more fuel to the upward price spiral (despite claims of the opposite).

Anyway, in short, McCain is the lesser of the two evils. A shame too because Obama is much more entertaining, but that's not enough to earn the vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections