Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:05 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times

Advertisements

Gramm makes some valid points however the question becomes do you feel the pain real or imagined and do you want to ease it real or imagined. Not everyone feels the pain and some feel the gain. Certainly if you have held large numbers of Halliburton you have felt the gain and if you have no health insurance you have felt the pain literally. So the question becomes who is Team McCain in it for those with the gain or those with the pain. Either/Or/Neither/Both?

Help the American people figure out if this is a new direction or more Cheney led indifference. I really think Bush is a decent sort he just made to many watcha think calls to Cheney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:08 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
Lowering corporate tax rates would go a long way to helping businesses, too.

Yes, yes, while lowering spending.
And lowering not raising taxes on the "rich" will be a big help too.

Those "rich" are small business owners who create jobs and keep the economy moving.

There is no excuse for raising taxes anywhere when the economy is in such poor condition. The key is like you said, to cut spending.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:08 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
All arguments suggest that for many people, it is a mental recession. This "recession" is an economic downturn, and not even close to a real recession.

Oil futures hit record high of $146.90 a barrel

By Polya Lesova
Last update: 8:39 a.m. EDT July 11, 2008

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Oil futures soared to a fresh record high just below $147 a barrel early Friday, as mounting tensions between Iran and the West as well as worries about supply disruptions in Nigeria and Brazil combined to propel oil prices to new highs.

Should Americans whine about oil prices? It is much higher in other parts of the World....

Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Oil futures hit record high of $146.90 a barrel

By Polya Lesova
Last update: 8:39 a.m. EDT July 11, 2008

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Oil futures soared to a fresh record high just below $147 a barrel early Friday, as mounting tensions between Iran and the West as well as worries about supply disruptions in Nigeria and Brazil combined to propel oil prices to new highs.

Should Americans whine about oil prices? It is much higher in other parts of the World....
Other parts of the world have better (or more used) mass transportation, better forms of alternative energies, and lower tax rates.

It is hard to compare the impact of oil in the US to the impact in other countries.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:26 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
"Why is America the richest country in the world?" he asks. "It's not because our people are more brilliant; it's because we have a better free-market system. Why has Texas created 1.6 million jobs in the last 10 years whereas Michigan has lost 300,000 jobs and Ohio has lost 100,000 jobs? Because governance matters, taxes matter, regulation matters. Our opponents in this campaign are so dogmatic in their goal of having more government because they love the power it brings to them that they're willing to let it impose costs on the working people that they say they want to help. I am not."

~Senator Gramm

Source

Old 07-11-2008, 08:27 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Well said and I doubt that the right will enter this forum to challenge or protect the newly emerging Cheney/Bush soon to be Gramm/McCain puppets.

Did you mention challenge? That helps the terrorists!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:36 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,343,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Phil Gramm has always seen America's working poor as our nation's most pressing problem. He'd like to apply the soylent green solution. It's not that Phil hates America. He clearly does not. He just doesn't like the people living here.

lol well said comedy and truth

Old 07-11-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Other parts of the world have better (or more used) mass transportation, better forms of alternative energies, and lower tax rates.

It is hard to compare the impact of oil in the US to the impact in other countries.

I agree I live in Doral/South Florida I drive but the few times I took the bus I waited 2 hours for what I later walked in an hour and 45 minutes . I can walk it but elderly,disabled people cant not.
Thus you can say we dont actually have bus service as spending 4 hours waiting for a bus for round trip isnt a day well spent.

Europeans who visit the area cant believe the lack of public transportation considering the high property taxes . The Mayor here subscribes to poor and old can rot.
Europe they pay more but they get more .

Old 07-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
And lowering not raising taxes on the "rich" will be a big help too.

Those "rich" are small business owners who create jobs and keep the economy moving.

There is no excuse for raising taxes anywhere when the economy is in such poor condition. The key is like you said, to cut spending.

Many of the rich have created jobs overseas not in the states. I subscribe to tax breaks for those who have created real jobs here not a headquarters office in Miami with one person who answers phones and the 1000 employees in the Bahamas .
I dont know how it works but there are miles of places like this in Miami its a joke

Old 07-11-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Many of the rich have created jobs overseas not in the states. I subscribe to tax breaks for those who have created real jobs here not a headquarters office in Miami with one person who answers phones and the 1000 employees in the Bahamas .
I dont know how it works but there are miles of places like this in Miami its a joke
The reason the jobs are outsourced there is because business taxes here are too high, second highest in the WORLD. Reduce the business taxes, reduce the personal income taxes on the "rich" and you wont have as many of those issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections