Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

I'm not convinced by all the arguments here that BHO is all that smart, degrees notwithstanding. Katie Couric asked him, since people say that he doesn't have experience, what his area of expertise is. He gave a very smooth non-answer. She insisted and pressed for an answer to her question. He actually tried to talk over her.
He finally admitted that he doesn't have any expertise, but that the most important thing he will do (as president) is surround himself with people who do have expertise.

Isn't that what Bush did? And look where that got us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 06:42 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Smart is someone who isn't going to be dragged by their noses, who can think for themselves. Someone who realizes what a dirty game politics is and can rise above it all.
Good luck you'd have to go back more than a hundred years to find someone like that. Then he probably be shot dead in a theater somewhere. Do you realize that more than half of the representatives and senators in Washington have court cases pending and their crimes are not about parking tickets. BTW good crooks can think for themselves...but they need a good accountant.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:45 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,804 times
So no takers on answering why Baby Barry wants to hand out 1,000 checks to buy even more votes and let someone else pay for his totally stupid idea.

Why would anyone want to pay 3,000 to get back 1,000 Barry?

For months he was against any and all oil drilling, then when the tide moves that we want oil drilled he flip flops over to being for it and now turns around and backstabs us with this crazy lame idea of taxing those same oil companies with wind fall profit tax.

Doesn't this fruitcake know what will happen if he adds taxes to the oil companies? Production goes down and prices go up costing us even more money.

Then again maybe that is what he wants?

Hey Barry, we are way ahead of you, so stop trying to SCREW US barry!

And yes, he is a stupid looney who needs to get an idea that would work.
And without making me pay for it.

Barry the Tax Monger is coming to a drive in near you, have your paychecks ready. With him it probably will be your last paycheck.

STOP WHINING !!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:37 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
It's just another "what the people wanna hear" statement.....

Let's see that makes promise 6,197 now.....I believe...

Who said you can't win on promises...

Old 08-03-2008, 03:41 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
So no takers on answering why Baby Barry wants to hand out 1,000 checks to buy even more votes and let someone else pay for his totally stupid idea.

Why would anyone want to pay 3,000 to get back 1,000 Barry?

For months he was against any and all oil drilling, then when the tide moves that we want oil drilled he flip flops over to being for it and now turns around and backstabs us with this crazy lame idea of taxing those same oil companies with wind fall profit tax.

Doesn't this fruitcake know what will happen if he adds taxes to the oil companies? Production goes down and prices go up costing us even more money.

Then again maybe that is what he wants?

Hey Barry, we are way ahead of you, so stop trying to SCREW US barry!

And yes, he is a stupid looney who needs to get an idea that would work.
And without making me pay for it.

Barry the Tax Monger is coming to a drive in near you, have your paychecks ready. With him it probably will be your last paycheck.

STOP WHINING !!

You have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. I'm wasting my time, but here goes:

In simple economics, tax = redistribuition of wealth. You can break that down however you please. Once the energy companies reach a certain level of profit, he wants to tax a little bit and redistribute to population.. how dare he!

If the profits (at record levels) are taxed less, the money goes into the CEO's pockets... which would you prefer? The chairman of Exxon got a $400m payout a couple of years back. This pay is a 'tax' on the companies working capital. The big difference is that he keeps it all, and redistributes where he wishes. In government spend, it hopefully goes into things like education or healthcare.. 2 of the most important things in society, or unfortunately in Bush's administration, it goes on pointless wars on 'terror'(?). Your reasoning behind Obama's (and lets get his name right for crying out loud) plans, and critique of them are pathetic. Production and costs are not passed directly to the consumer when affected by tax, all other things equal. Companies still have to remain price competative. The price of oil is driven more by the value of the dollar, and supply from dictators than by corporate tax. It is your assumptions that are those of a fruitcake.. certainly not Obama's.

I'm not even American (although my wife is) but I have read Obama's book, what he claims to stand for, and I have done the same with Mccain. He does have a sound understanding of economics, I can assure you. (I have an honors degree in it, and his reasoning sounds good to me). What you are arguing has nothing to do with economics and sounds more like sticks and stones.

I'm not saying he would be good or bad, his actions in office would see to that, but I am strongly arguing your (and other posters) absurd statements and conclusions.

Last edited by Mag3.14; 08-03-2008 at 04:00 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 04:15 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post

In simple economics, tax = redistribuition of wealth. You can break that down however you please. Once the energy companies reach a certain level of profit, he wants to tax a little bit and redistribute to population.. how dare he!

If the profits (at record levels) are taxed less, the money goes into the CEO's pockets... which would you prefer? The chairman of Exxon got a $400m payout a couple of years back. This pay is a 'tax' on the companies working capital. The big difference is that he keeps it all, and redistributes where he wishes. In government spend, it hopefully goes into things like education or healthcare.. 2 of the most important things in society, or unfortunately in Bush's administration, it goes on pointless wars on 'terror'(?). Your reasoning behind Obama's (and lets get his name right for crying out loud) plans, and critique of them are pathetic. Production and costs are not passed directly to the consumer when affected by tax, all other things equal. Companies still have to remain price competative. The price of oil is driven more by the value of the dollar, and supply from dictators than by corporate tax. It is your assumptions that are those of a fruitcake.. certainly not Obama's.

I'm not saying he would be good or bad, his actions in office would see to that, but I am strongly arguing your (and other posters) absurd statements and conclusions.
So which dictators would those be? It's certainly not that axis of evil group Bush was referring to was it...

Old 08-03-2008, 04:35 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So which dictators would those be? It's certainly not that axis of evil group Bush was referring to was it...

Not unless he added Saudi Arabia? but you have missed the point anyway.

Last edited by Mag3.14; 08-03-2008 at 05:25 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
You have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. I'm wasting my time, but here goes:

I'm not even American (although my wife is) but I have read Obama's book, what he claims to stand for, and I have done the same with Mccain. He does have a sound understanding of economics, I can assure you. (I have an honors degree in it, and his reasoning sounds good to me). What you are arguing has nothing to do with economics and sounds more like sticks and stones.

I understand that you feel you are wasting your time, but do continue! That certain posters would seem to drown out reasonable debate is all the more reason that you should continue.

My question is for Sunshine Chick.

I would like to know why it is insufficient for you to vote with your, err, your vote.

Are you doing any actual campaigning for a different candidate?

Everything I have read of yours is about what you don't like about Obama.

Would you consider posting a positive piece about what you do like, about anyone or anything? Constant tirades against Obama, as others have indicated, do have a tendency to drive people AWAY from McCain, and to associate him with irrational negativity.

I would like to read any positive or constructive solutions or proposals you can make on ANY topic at this point.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:18 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Good luck you'd have to go back more than a hundred years to find someone like that. Then he probably be shot dead in a theater somewhere. Do you realize that more than half of the representatives and senators in Washington have court cases pending and their crimes are not about parking tickets. BTW good crooks can think for themselves...but they need a good accountant.
I can still wish right??? I really had my heart set on Bill Bradley back in the day. He's smart, educated and seemed to be above it all, but now he's in the tank for Obama.

I think the Obama love comes out of the Clinton hate, which still baffles me.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Unhappy You sound... VERY unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Just when he is falling like a rock in the polls, this stupid nuts comes out with a lame brain new idea.

He wants to give 1,000 checks out to everyone under the sun.

Just a few months ago he was making fun of the fact that most households would be getting an average of 600.00 and what did this idiot say? What is 600.00 going to do to help these families?

So this moron flip flopping idiot now comes out with the same idea because he knew it worked to help people some and didn't again have to guts to say he was wrong and then finds out that is was a good thing an popular with the people and now thinks this is a grand idea?

Here is the kicker, he wants to pay for the 1,000 checks with money raised by putting a windfall profit tax on oil companies. Doesn't this idiot know economics? What will happen if you do this Baby Barry? Your will be making that 1,000 check worthless because the oil companies will go on to pass those EXPENSES onto us.

People are not as stupid as you think barry, keep your 1000.00 we dont want it if we have to pay out 3000 to get the 1000.

Another case where he was wrong and now has flipped over to thinking he has some big idea of his own.

What is he trying to do buy more votes?

How stupid is this guy? He is so lost when it comes to making a decision.

Yes another poor decision by baby barry.

Who said he wasn't a tax monger, he want to tax everyone and anything that moves.

Keep your lousy 1000, most of us don't need it barry.

Does this mean that you're NOT voting for Obama after all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections